Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash

Re: okay, so ebola is a little to close to me for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but for a place where infectious disease control protocols were supposed to STOP the spread of the disease, there is definitely something either wrong with those protocols or there is something else here with regards to it's ability to bypass those controls or at least the ones that were in use there.

I just hope there isn't a rush here to come up with the answer they want instead of doing a thorough analysis to ensure that control protocols are indeed the problem.
    they are saying that early on they were not following good protocols. also the equipment they were using was crappy

of course they also turned him away when he first got there, so obviously they didn't know to treat him any differently

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

I think the CDC and medical profession were caught flat-footed. I think the current strain is much more communicable and lethal than they thought.

I have seen hundreds of patients put in one form of isolation or another....,respiratory, enteric, total, bodily fluids. I have not seen anything act more contagious than this strain of Ebola. I certainly haven't seen an illness supposedly transmitted just by contact of body fluids be transmitted this easily. Not hepatitis A, B or C. Not HIV. Not even meningiococcemia.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

you mean the one that two people contracted so far?

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

I get the impression there was not much training on any infectious disease protocols for the health care workers and nobody was used to dealing with any virus this infectious. The nurses probably acted reasonably within the knowledge and training they received, as if they were treating any other infectious patient, but they somehow got exposed to Duncan's bodily fluids. You can have all the good protocols in the world, but if they are not properly implemented and followed, they are useless.

I know a scientist who is also involved in the drug development industry. He said there will probably be some effective anti-viral drugs for Ebola in the next few years because now the industrialized world is affected and scared. Previously, Ebola was just an African disease for which there was little money as incentive for drug makers to develop antivirals to help against Ebola.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Correct. It doesn't spread like HIV either, though.

At least I hope not. That would be really awkward to explain.
    Absolutely. It spreads much easier than HIV. You can't get HIV from vomit or diarrhea or saliva.

The difference, of course, is that you can't get Ebola until you're symptomatic. You can spread the HIV virus before getting AIDS and it can take up to a decade to develop AIDS. That's a full decade you can spread the disease without knowing you even have it. That is a huge difference.

Had HIV/AIDS been a more effective quick killer it would have never spread like it did.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dwarthog View Post
    My post was a bit tongue in cheek, but for a place where infectious disease control protocols were supposed to STOP the spread of the disease, there is definitely something either wrong with those protocols or there is something else here with regards to it's ability to bypass those controls or at least the ones that were in use there.
    It sounds like this hospital was not remotely prepared to handle Ebola. That is something that needs to be a priority. Unfortunately the states have jurisdiction over such matters so it's going to take an effort to get all state health departments involved.

In west Africa where the conditions are much worse, the rate of transmission to health care workers has been very low. I forgot what they said last night but in one facility only a handful of a couple hundred health care workers got sick and they're reusing protective gear (after soaking in chlorine) and stuff.

Even in the most well trained and equipped places, there is still always a chance. Taking care of an Ebola patient is never going to be a risk free endeavor. I also hate to use the term human error. It's tricky to take off the equipment without touching exposed sections. I wouldn't call it human error of a slip happens and someone contacts an exposed area of the clothing. (I think of human error as being a mental error but we're talking about some delicate physical activity here.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    . I certainly haven't seen an illness supposedly transmitted just by contact of body fluids be transmitted this easily. Not hepatitis A, B or C. Not HIV. Not even meningiococcemia.
    C'mon, man. Everyone knew that this was easier to transmit than AIDS or hepatitis. That's been known from the beginning.

I must have missed all the CDC statements that stated you'd be okay as long as you didn't share a needle with them and used a condom.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    you mean the one that two people contracted so far?
    I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you were one of the people exposed to Duncan or the 2 nurses. Plus the epidemic is just heating up. Lets just downplay this until Ebola gets a foot hold in Latin America or the cases in Africa reach over a million.

Do you not see how the 2 cases have affected the local economies where they are located ?
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    C'mon, man. Everyone knew that this was easier to transmit than AIDS or hepatitis. That's been known from the beginning.

I must have missed all the CDC statements that stated you'd be okay as long as you didn't share a needle with them and used a condom.
    Okay, then it seems to be as transmitable as rotovirus and varicella.

And yet HIV has dev estates Africa and cost thus country hundreds of billions of dollars. That was my point. Ebola is much more communicable and will be even more costly if it gets a foothold in this continent.

The CDC was acting like a bunch of politicians and got burnt.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/23/2014 at 08:17 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Looks like the genie is out of the bottle. Case being reported in Virginia. Another person who had traveled to West Africa..........Mr. Obama, build up those walls.

http://www.loudountimes.com/news/art...n_for_ebola898

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Looks like the genie is out of the bottle. Case being reported in Virginia. Another person who had traveled to West Africa..........Mr. Obama, build up those walls.

Our borders will remain open to undocumented/illegal entry. Amnesty WILL happen, and before January.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    Our borders will remain open to undocumented/illegal entry. Amnesty WILL happen, and before January.
    Also, Holder's going to be appointed to SCOTUS.

OleVet Posse Instigator

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Don't worry, everybody. Barak Obama says everything's under control. You can stop worrying.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post

And if you click on it now you'll see the patient is negative for ebola.

vCash

Okay, then it seems to be as transmitable as rotovirus and varicella.

The CDC was acting like a bunch of politicians and got burnt.
    Or not.

Rotavirus spreads easily among infants and young children. Children can spread the virus both before and after they become sick with diarrhea. They can also pass rotavirus to family members and other people with whom they have close contact.

Chickenpox is a very contagious disease caused by the varicella-zoster virus. The virus spreads easily from people with chickenpox to others who have never had the disease or received the chickenpox vaccine. The virus spreads in the air when an infected person coughs or sneezes. It can also be spread by touching or breathing in the virus particles that come from chickenpox blisters.

vCash

I bet you'd be singing a different tune if you were one of the people exposed to Duncan or the 2 nurses. Plus the epidemic is just heating up. Lets just downplay this until Ebola gets a foot hold in Latin America or the cases in Africa reach over a million.

Do you not see how the 2 cases have affected the local economies where they are located ?
    you are a doctor, right?

Administrator
    vCash

I think the CDC and medical profession were caught flat-footed. I think the current strain is much more communicable and lethal than they thought.

I have seen hundreds of patients put in one form of isolation or another....,respiratory, enteric, total, bodily fluids. I have not seen anything act more contagious than this strain of Ebola. I certainly haven't seen an illness supposedly transmitted just by contact of body fluids be transmitted this easily. Not hepatitis A, B or C. Not HIV. Not even meningiococcemia.
    I've read that folks in the later stages of the illness are...not sure exactly how to say this...profusely fluid. In other words, fluids coming out of every orifice, in large quantities (relative to 'normal'). Have you experienced anything like that? If so, how can healthcare workers completely safeguard against that?

I know we're being told that the folks in Dallas didn't follow the correct procedures early on, and I'm not saying I don't believe that, but I do think this transmits a little easier/quicker than many think. (I'm not saying it's about to envelop the country, just that I think it's easier transferred than first thought).

vCash

Based on what? None of that is new information. This has always been scary as **** and everyone was thankful it was deep in Africa and not here

The difference is that here we know to stay the **** away from dead bodies and aren't scared of health care workers for the most part.

It will spread a lot slower here but it's still scary as ****

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    Based on what? None of that is new information. This has always been scary as **** and everyone was thankful it was deep in Africa and not here

The difference is that here we know to stay the **** away from dead bodies and aren't scared of health care workers for the most part.

It will spread a lot slower here but it's still scary as ****
    Don't bet on that. In Africa it might be easier to contain the spread geographically because few people have cars or they don't hop a flight across the continent. In other words our affluence in the USA may contribute to the spread of the disease.

vCash

http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !