Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash

Re: okay, so ebola is a little to close to me for my own comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerorLater View Post
    Don't bet on that. In Africa it might be easier to contain the spread geographically because few people have cars or they don't hop a flight across the continent. In other words our affluence in the USA may contribute to the spread of the disease.
    Compare the story of Nigeria to the rest of the current outbreak. Lagos is a HUGE city and very dense

vCash

Nigeria is now officially Ebola free:

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/ebo...-cases-n229536

and by huge, i mean Lagos has more that twice the population of NYC

Sooner Benchwarmer IGotNoTiming's Avatar
    vCash

It has really been amazing to watch all of the media (from far left to far right) fear mongering the hell out of the public. There should be fines levied against media outlets for spreading misinformation. They have a resposibility to maintain journalistic accuracy.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by IGotNoTiming View Post
    It has really been amazing to watch all of the media (from far left to far right) fear mongering the hell out of the public. There should be fines levied against media outlets for spreading misinformation. They have a resposibility to maintain journalistic accuracy.
    I don't really follow the news, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much in this regard, but I haven't felt that's the case. I hear a lot more of this "DONT WORRY ABOUT FEAR MONGERING" than any actual fear mongering.

vCash

But WTF is an Ebola Czar? And why doesn't he have any kind of medical training, PhD, Bachelor's of Science, etc?

Somebody upload the Star Trek facepalm.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    Based on what? None of that is new information. This has always been scary as **** and everyone was thankful it was deep in Africa and not here

The difference is that here we know to stay the **** away from dead bodies and aren't scared of health care workers for the most part.

It will spread a lot slower here but it's still scary as ****
    I assume you were responding to my post. It's only based off of the limited knowledge I have of viruses and mutations (and granted, it's pretty limited).

From everything I've seen, the virus can only be spread through direct contact with liquids from an infected person. Like I said, I'm not saying I don't believe that, but it does appear that it could be a little easier to obtain than that. I know it's not airborne (and hope it never mutates to that), but I think there's some question about how long the virus survives outside of the body (in a discharged liquid). So, if I'm infected and cough up a bunch of crap and spit it on your kitchen counter (for the sake of this example, we'll assume we're hillbillies)...then you come along and just happen to put your lacerated hand in the same spot. At what point is the virus dead? Can you put your hand in it 3 hours after I spit it on your counter? 12 hours? a day?

Obviously, this is a ridiculous example, but I start thinking about being on an airplane, and crazy thoughts occur. They're already germ tubes.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I don't really follow the news, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much in this regard, but I haven't felt that's(fear mongering by the media) the case. I hear a lot more of this "DONT WORRY ABOUT FEAR MONGERING" than any actual fear mongering.
    heaven forbid president Obola or his Democrats be accused of malfeasance or even negligence, when it's apparent He's the most bad apple president we've had. And, He's not about to change His MO.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I don't really follow the news, so I guess my opinion isn't worth much in this regard, but I haven't felt that's the case. I hear a lot more of this "DONT WORRY ABOUT FEAR MONGERING" than any actual fear mongering.
    It's a little of both. They tell you not to worry but then put sensationalist headlines out there as well and in general just act really dramatic. Basically news in general is terrible compared to what it was 30 years ago. They're more like "A Current Affair" now than they used to be.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    Or not.
    What is your point? You are arguing both sides of the issue. Ebola is transferred by exactly the same methods as varicella and rotavirus. Or haven't you noticed the CDC recently added high efficient filter respirators to their recommended equipment guidelines for healthcare professionals treating Ebola patients?

It's more contagious than HIV which has cost this country hundreds of billions of dollars so does the fact that Ebola is more contagious than HIV make it more or less of a threat? It approaches or equals the transmutability of rotovirus and varicella and is similar in its method of transmission......bodily fluids, secretions, waste and contaminated droplets of saliva.

BTW, I've treated several dozen patients with rotovirus and the required equipment was face mask(paper) , gown, glove with hand washing and I am unaware of a healthcare provider contracting rotovirus from treating a patient the way healthcare workers have contracted Ebola from taking care of Ebola patients.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/24/2014 at 08:38 AM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    What is your point? You are arguing both sides of the issue. Ebola is transferred by exactly the same methods as varicella and rotavirus.
    I think the links I provided indicate the opposite.

It's more contagious than HIV which has cost this country hundreds of billions of dollars so does the fact that Ebola is more contagious than HIV make it more or less of a threat?
    You are completely ignoring what made HIV/AIDS a very dangerous disease. The problem is that a person is infected and contagious for up to a decade before they show signs of the disease. That is why it became a worldwide health crisis. People were spreading the disease years before they knew they had it.

Ebola has two things working against it. 1) It isn't spread unless someone is symptomatic. 2) People get sick and die or are cured relatively quickly.

So, yes, Ebola is more contagious than HIV but contagiousness is only one part of the equation.
    Last edited by jkjsooner; 10/27/2014 at 10:54 AM.

vCash

A doctor friend told me a new Ebola joke,

but you probably won't get it.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    I think the links I provided indicate the opposite.

You are completely ignoring what made HIV/AIDS a very dangerous disease. The problem is that a person is infected and contagious for up to a decade before they show signs of the disease. That is why it became a worldwide health crisis. People were spreading the disease years before they knew they had it.

Ebola has two things working against it. 1) It isn't spread unless someone is symptomatic. 2) People get sick and die or are cured relatively quickly.

So, yes, Ebola is more contagious than HIV but contagiousness is only one part of the equation.
    Then why don't you with your extensive medical background explain how the transmission of Ebola differs from Varicella and rotovirus or even RSV. Are you trying to say these viruses aren't transmitted by bodily fluids. The reason that Ebola isn't considered airborne is because it cannot attach to the respiratory epithelium although the CDC seems to be hedging on this assertion with the introduction of the respirators with high efficiency air filters. Why did they do this if they aren't worried about airborne transmission?

And the fact that HIV does not kill quickly is offset in economic terms by the fact medical facilities don't have to spend astronomical amounts of resources isolating HIV patients and buying specialized equipment or dedicating a lot of their staff(i.e. cannot cross treat other patients) to HIV patients like they do Ebola patients.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/27/2014 at 09:33 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

I found this article interesting. I know the progressives on the board will dismiss it because of the web site from which it originated but I would ask that you at least review the Army recommendations that indicate Ebola may actually be more communicable in colder weather much like influenza is.
    http://www.teaparty.org/u-s-army-ebo...e-drops-63635/

The study pointed out that filoviruses, which include Ebola and the Sudan virus used in this particular study, have stability in aerosol form comparable to influenza. -
    /

vCash

teaparty.org quoting infowars?

why not just link to the government study?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    teaparty.org quoting infowars?

why not just link to the government study?
    Quit pulling lame crap like this. Excerpts of the US Army study are imbedded in the article.

Administrator
    vCash

I found this article interesting. I know the progressives on the board will dismiss it because of the web site from which it originated but I would ask that you at least review the Army recommendations that indicate Ebola may actually be more communicable in colder weather much like influenza is.
    http://www.teaparty.org/u-s-army-ebo...e-drops-63635/

/[/b]
    Can you break that quote down into layman's terms? I think I'm thrown off by the "aerosol form" part.

vCash

It means that the virus survives significantly longer in aresolized repiratory droplets when the ambient environmental temperature and humidity are lower just like the influenza virus does. Ever wonder why flu seems to hit harder during the winter months? This is one reason why. Another reason is that people tend to aggregate indoors in more confined spaces during the cold winter months.

http://www.weather.com/health/cold-f...inter-20140122
    Last edited by FaninAma; 10/29/2014 at 08:32 PM.

Administrator
    vCash

It means that the virus survives significantly longer in aresolized repiratory droplets when the ambient environmental temperature and humidity are lower just like the influenza virus does. Ever wonder why flu seems to hit harder during the winter months? This is one reason why. Another reason is that people tend to aggregate indoors in more confined spaces during the cold winter months.

http://www.weather.com/health/cold-f...inter-20140122
    Is it possible that could cause the virus to mutate and increase the chances of it becoming airborne?

vCash

Quit pulling lame crap like this. Excerpts of the US Army study are imbedded in the article.
    excerpts and commentary by teabagger loonies.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I was in Dallas last week. No problem.

Now someone please hand me a Kleenex. Imma bout to sneeze.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!