Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Are Voter ID Laws Racist?

Do they suppress minority voter turnout?
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Re: Are Voter ID Laws Racist?

when you start talking about the realities of it, i think it could put a lot of barriers in front of some people. a disproportionate amount of them would likely be black. by some definitions, that could be labeled racist.

i'm not sure i buy a lot of that though. i think it should be tied to the driver's license. if you don't have a license, you can get a picture ID and be registered. who doesn't have a photo ID? of course, in OK, that doesn't fulfill requirements for federal IDs, so you might be boned there anyway.

vCash

the other problem is that there isn't really an established reason for doing this. the problem they are trying to solve is non-existant from what i can tell.

personally, i'd be all for a test of some sort required to vote. knowing the difference between D and R doesn't seem like enough to me.

Administrator
    vCash

No.

I agree with yermom, I'd be all for a test.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    Do they suppress minority voter turnout?
    yes

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    the other problem is that there isn't really an established reason for doing this. the problem they are trying to solve is non-existant from what i can tell.

personally, i'd be all for a test of some sort required to vote. knowing the difference between D and R doesn't seem like enough to me.
    When you have a test, then the fight is going to be over who gets to pick the questions for the test. As a liberal democrat I would LOVE to be the one who picks them in Kansas.

vCash

i get that. i wouldn't even mind if the test involved the particular topic/candidates in the election.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by yermom View Post
    i get that. i wouldn't even mind if the test involved the particular topic/candidates in the election.
    Again, I want to be the one who gets to choose them. There is nowhere in the constitution that says you have to know the answer to questions to be able to vote.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner8th View Post
    yes
    Why or how do they suppress minority voter turnout?
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Why or how do they suppress minority voter turnout?
    You must be the last person that doesn't have that stupid *** mother ****er on ignore.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Overwhelmingly, the ID issue is racist, since most of those affected are
    minority, whether black er brown er red er yellow (is that racist enuf fer
    all of ya?) Given EVERY situation, voter ID requirement affects more minority
    than any other. IMO, it is clearly an effort to suppress the minority vote,
    (any argument there?) since most of those folks have some sort of problem,
    literacy? legality? residency? and are overwhelmingly Democratic leaning...
    mostly cause the Pubs don't want to include them in the "big tent"...but y'all
    can argue otherwise...Rush, Laura, Sarah, Glenn, Ann and the "main steam"
    group can/will pontificate the opposite, so, I have no problem stating this
    opinion, and it IS an opinion...some to stir, some to get a thought process going
    but mostly, to generate some good conversation....

sooooo...ROCK ON....boomer!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash
    No.
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    opinion, and it IS an opinion...some to stir, some to get a thought process going

Please explain why. Why are voter ID laws inherently biased against minorities? If you made the argument that poor people of all races find it more difficult to obtain an ID then I would at least give you credit for being consistent.

But what is the quality or deficiency shared by minorities that make them less capable of obtaining a voter ID not shared by whites?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    You must be the last person that doesn't have that stupid *** mother ****er on ignore.
    I simply pick and choose which messages to read. If I see the words "dumbass" or "lemming" in the post I don't read the rest.

But I would really like to understand why progressives think voter ID laws are inherently biased against minorities.

vCash

I simply pick and choose which messages to read. If I see the words "dumbass" or "lemming" in the post I don't read the rest.

But I would really like to understand why progressives think voter ID laws are inherently biased against minorities.
    Then you dont get to read many do you

Personally I disagree with having to show my ID when I vote, Hell we shouldnt even have to register. Why do they have My name down on a List? Get rid of all that freedom stealin crap. and Just let me walk into as many polling places i can get and vote all i want.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Then you dont get to read many do you

Personally I disagree with having to show my ID when I vote, Hell we shouldnt even have to register. Why do they have My name down on a List? Get rid of all that freedom stealin crap. and Just let me walk into as many polling places i can get and vote all i want.
    Sorry but I don't want my vote cancelled out by somebody who doesn't have a right to vote in this country. And I don't want the party of Harry Reid busing union members from precinct to precinct.

vCash

SoonerFans.com Elite Member SCOUT's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post

Rock, I know you don't mean it this way, but what you wrote seems oddly racist.

People of color (you mentioned multiple groups) don't have the ability to participate in one of the most basic aspects of society? The ability to prove they are who they say they are. Why do you think that?

vCash

First off typical of conservatives, pick and choose what you read so you wont let anything slip in that contradicts your beliefs.

Second "progressives think voter ID laws are inherently biased against minorities", we don't "think" they are, we know they are. Let's be real clear here, voter id laws are targeted at democrats PERIOD. What is the highest percentage group that votes for democrats. African-Americans. What group has the highest occurrence of not having the proper approved ID? African-Americans. That is how it is racist.

vCash

Sorry but I don't want my vote cancelled out by somebody who doesn't have a right to vote in this country. And I don't want the party of Harry Reid busing union members from precinct to precinct.
    Heh, I were being sarcastic
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !