Administrator
    vCash

TCU game week notes

Figured I start a thread for any notes related to this weeks game. There were a few things in Stoops press conference today that are worth noting:

• Sanchez is feeling better. Said he was just dealing with soreness, and that would continue the rest of the season...but as healthy as he has been since the injury.
    • Ford*, Dimon and Walker are all still out this week. None are expected to play against TCU.
    • Contrary to rumors last week, Jordan Phillips has no issues with his back. (of course Stoops wouldn't say otherwise anyway).

*Stoops did say that he wasn't 100% sure if Ford would miss this week, and would get a report later today, but seemed pretty sure he was not going to play.

This will probably the toughest defense we see this year (although Texas has a stout defense), so it would be nice to have Ford's running style, but Perine can keep the TCU defense busy too.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: TCU game week notes

How TCU ranks through their first 3 games:

Offense
    Rushing Offense 37th 211.3 ypg
    Passing Offense 19th 320.7 ypg
    Scoring Offense 10th 44.1 ppg
    Total Offense 15th 532.0 ypg
    Defense
    Rushing Defense 15th allowing 91.7 ypg
    Passing Defense 4th allowing 127.0 ypg
    Scoring Defense 2nd allowing 4.6 ppg
    Total Defense 2nd allowing 218.7 ypg

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gonna be a tough one; admittedly they've beaten up on Samford and SMU, and Minnesota, which just whipped the disastrous mess in Ann Arbor, plus two open dates. So not really sure how good they are. I guess we'll see. Patterson's Ds are always tough as we saw in 2005 and 2008, but the offenses can be weak. Let's hope that's the case here. Two years ago we really struggled to pull out the win with several starters injured, and last year until Clay broke that 75 yard run that game was close.

Patterson also is the guy who came up with the plan on how to beat us last season. I hope he doesn't have any such revelations this year.

This is a tough stretch for OUr guys: gone to Ft. Worth and Dallas on consecutive weekends against a tough team, then against a hated rival that is struggling and therefore dangerous (as we saw last season), and then back at home against that old guy who won't quit coaching, dang it (KSU). Tough stretch.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

TCU was definitely a prelude to the horn game last year. Not sure if it so much provided a plan to UT as provided them with confidence that what they planned would work. But last year, UT had a much better offense than TCU. This year, TCU may well be better on both sides of the ball, so get by TCU and we should be good against the horns.

vCash

Any game with as intense a rivalry as we have with UT is always an interesting matchup, even if one of the teams is a world beater and the other one is beaten down. Always, you have to approach it carefully -- as we saw last year. Clearly we were the better team but not on that day.

vCash

As I recall, various tweets from Ford and his sister pretty much stated right away that he would not be available by the TCU game. I'm concerned it could be several more games as bones require a certain amount of time to heal and then there is game shape to recapture. Especially for an RB.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    As I recall, various tweets from Ford and his sister pretty much stated right away that he would not be available by the TCU game. I'm concerned it could be several more games as bones require a certain amount of time to heal and then there is game shape to recapture. Especially for an RB.
    Apparently, guys playing with a fractured tibia isn't unheard of, but for a running back it's a different proposition. I though I heard that the fracture was 'hairline', so that could help expedite his recovery. When Stoops was asked about him, his initial response was "He's out", or something to that affect. Then, he kind of backtracked and said he hadn't gotten a report today, but he thought Ford wouldn't be available. So, Ford could be ready to go, but I'm sure he'll have to practice this week for that to happen. And there's no reason to risk a season ending injury with two healthy backs ready to go.

I'm not too worried about having Ford, but I do think we'll need a really good effort out of whoever runs the ball this week.

vCash

I'm a runner and have had a stress fracture, basically a hairline. My doc said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. I was able to run again in 5 weeks. Pretty good guesstimate, I'd say. Bad news is that means Ford is probably out until KSU or so. On the other hand, Perine is just fine.

vCash

Wish we had Ford. He's a receiving threat out of the backfield and offers a nice counterbalance to Perine.

vCash

Don't hear much talk about Ross...every time I saw him he looked good, kr's
    obviously but he can spell Perine, if needed. I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    post in a different thread....Rip at 248#, full of anger and energy, followed by
    Perine at 243#...hostile, agile and focused would create MANY headaches for the
    defensive secondary...jus sayin...TK should follow the called play and just do it!

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I'm a runner and have had a stress fracture, basically a hairline. My doc said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to heal. I was able to run again in 5 weeks. Pretty good guesstimate, I'd say. Bad news is that means Ford is probably out until KSU or so. On the other hand, Perine is just fine.
    Was it the tibia? I've heard/read stories of linemen playing with a broken tibia. Sounds terrible to me, but apparently it can be done. Nonetheless, I'd be surprised if he's back before KSU.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Don't hear much talk about Ross...every time I saw him he looked good, kr's
    obviously but he can spell Perine, if needed. I'll repeat what I said in an earlier
    post in a different thread....Rip at 248#, full of anger and energy, followed by
    Perine at 243#...hostile, agile and focused would create MANY headaches for the
    defensive secondary...jus sayin...TK should follow the called play and just do it!
    Ross is definitely a factor, but so far he appears to be more of a speed guy, not so much of a ground and pound guy (like Ford/Perine). What I really like about Ross is his ability to take it the distance from anywhere on the field. He and Perine compliment each other nicely. Ross also appears to have good hands.