Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KU fires Weiss

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: KU fires Weiss

...really? Venables? Have they seen his sideline demeanor and propensity for vocal outburst? They won't abide kids getting screamed at and base language, this is KU football we're talking about!

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ...really? Venables? Have they seen his sideline demeanor and propensity for vocal outburst? They won't abide kids getting screamed at and base language, this is KU football we're talking about!

ss
    lol no doubt...that is what (well reportedly) got The Original Fhat Man fired..
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The fact that they hired Weiss at all was a pretty clear indicator of the tire fire that KU football has become. Firing Mangino was right up there w/ Tech firing Leach.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...field-progress

What a shock!

The Whataburgers in Lawrence are in mourning.
    No Whataburger locations in Kansas or Missouri, Tulsa are now the closest locations. There used to be a Whataburger commercial awhile back about a guy at KU who would drive to the one in Edmond because it was the closest location to Lawrence.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    No Whataburger locations in Kansas or Missouri, Tulsa are now the closest locations. There used to be a Whataburger commercial awhile back about a guy at KU who would drive to the one in Edmond because it was the closest location to Lawrence.
    It was a joke.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

The plans for KU's stadium expansion are pretty impressive. Could this be enough to lure a competent coach there? I don't know.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    The plans for KU's stadium expansion are pretty impressive. Could this be enough to lure a competent coach there? I don't know.
    It's a nice thought, but c'mon KU. You're averaging the lowest paid attendance and actual attendance in the Big 12, which is down from last season. You're averaging less than 50,000 per game and you're gonna expand the empty seating why???

KU: We're going to start hosting basketball games in the football stadium and football games in the basketball arena!

OK, now that makes sense.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

If only Mangino hadn't hurt some kids' feelings by yelling at him about what his ghetto back home would do to him later on in life if he kept slacking.

(Sigh) You just can't tell kids anything these days. Can't spank 'em either.

The world is full of soft men. Kansas deserves what it has for hiring coaches who baby players. You baby players and you get 6-22, with half the wins coming versus FCS schools.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

There were some politics at play in the Mangino firing. He wasn't hired by the then-athletic director. He was abrasive and didn't kiss arse (a la Mack Brown) and it wasn't likely that Mangino would ever have another 7-game losing streak at KU again if they kept him. They had a narrow window of opportunity to act and they did. Losing record? Check. 5-0 ranked season fizzling to 5-7 non-bowl season? Check. Accusations that you can pretend to take seriously so that the blame for firing the most successful (and he had a winning record overall) coach in recent KU history can fall on the coach instead of you? CHECKITY CHECK CHECK CHECK!

If there is any benefit to this, there's meltdown posts to steal (I loved "Jesus Crist" comments a few years ago, and "Coach front butt" is a close second) and they're going to beat us in basketball, so why not embarrass them in football a few months before?*

* First half of last year's game not withstanding

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Curse of Mangino continues!

Mangino gave them the stink eye on the way out. They is cursed.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stink-eye.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	2835
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    There were some politics at play in the Mangino firing. He wasn't hired by the then-athletic director. He was abrasive and didn't kiss arse (a la Mack Brown) and it wasn't likely that Mangino would ever have another 7-game losing streak at KU again if they kept him. They had a narrow window of opportunity to act and they did. Losing record? Check. 5-0 ranked season fizzling to 5-7 non-bowl season? Check. Accusations that you can pretend to take seriously so that the blame for firing the most successful (and he had a winning record overall) coach in recent KU history can fall on the coach instead of you? CHECKITY CHECK CHECK CHECK!

If there is any benefit to this, there's meltdown posts to steal (I loved "Jesus Crist" comments a few years ago, and "Coach front butt" is a close second) and they're going to beat us in basketball, so why not embarrass them in football a few months before?*

* First half of last year's game not withstanding
    I suspect KU would love to bring in a coach who could win 5 games at this point. That's about 2.5 seasons worth at this rate.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gundy to Michigan, Hoke to Kansas, Spavital to OSU
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Kansas tends to be the wrong side of a hot coaching name... Turner Gill was once such a hot coaching commodity that Charles Barkley publicly thrashed his alma mater Auburn for not hiring him. Charlie Weis didn't get a 10 year Notre Dame contract for nothing (because it's not like you can win conference titles at Domer, lol).

As such, have fun speculating what (once?) hot coaching commodity Kansas will run through the mud and make completely unhireable once they are finished with him...

Nominees:
    - Mack Brown
    - Gene Chizik
    - Jim Tressel
    - Bobby Petrino
    - Houston Nutt
    - Rick Nueheisel
    - Tyrone Willingham
    - Ron Zook
    - Bill Callahan
    - Jim Leavitt

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

KU should hire a coach from a lower division school who is thrilled at the prospect of getting a job at a P5 conference school no matter which one. Then they wouldn't have to offer a huge buyout in the contract and end up paying 3 coaches to not coach them anymore.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    KU should hire a coach from a lower division school who is thrilled at the prospect of getting a job at a P5 conference school no matter which one. Then they wouldn't have to offer a huge buyout in the contract and end up paying 3 coaches to not coach them anymore.
    They already went that route with nose-picking Terry Allen: http://www.missouristatebears.com/sp...en_761057.html
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Who's the guy at NDSU? He apparently can beat lower tier Big 12 teams nyuck nyuck nyuck ESPN talking heads nyuck

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

sports radio here in KC...of course some caller who's brother is a Dr..big donor, said Venables and the guy from Wyoming, was at NDSU last year.. are the 2 main targets.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerjeepman View Post
    sports radio here in KC...of course some caller who's brother is a Dr..big donor, said Venables and the guy from Wyoming, was at NDSU last year.. are the 2 main targets.
    It's really now or never for Brent V to finally find a head coaching job. If he doesn't want to be career coordinator, then he has to take the first offer he receives.

How often do programs hire older coaches with no head coaching experience? Not often. He's about the right age and has that fire and passion on the sideline (KU snobs: "Verbal abuse... aggressive behavior...") that might be enough to get Jayhawks excited about football again. That and winning. Winning makes fanbases excited.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Winning does that? Hmmmmm.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Winning does that? Hmmmmm.
    It is something that does not go without saying around here, since OU always wins so we are always happy; whereas KU never wins so they throw their goal post in a nearby lake after beating West Virginia while chanting "We want Bama"