Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Knight/Read Option

Seems to me like we always say we are keeping it vanilla until the TX game, and about 2/3 of the time the TX game ends up being vanilla playcalling to, which remains until the end of the year.

I understand the desire to keep him healthy, but I also understand the importance of gametime experience reading and running the zone read. I can't think that TK is so bad at the zone read that he is just handing it off every time. I think he is being instructed to. Still, I'd like to see him use his legs. Hell, Bryce Petty used his a couple times last night for big gains. We will definitely need to use TK's scrambling ability against Baylor, if not sooner. He is too rusty throwing the ball for us to win it all on that alone.

Maybe if those knobs could give us a straight answer on Baker Mayfield, we could actually unleash TK a bit.

Administrator
    vCash

We're 4 games into the season, do you really believe we've seen every play in the offensive play book? We've probably not even seen half.

Also, here's the offensive production in our first four games:

Opponent Rushing Offense Passing Offense Total Offense Points Scored
    La Tech 183 253 436 48
    Tulsa 261 319 580 52
    Tennessee 146 308 454 34
    West Virginia 301 209 510 45
    Averages 222.8 272.3 495 44.8

I don't really get the folks clamoring for Knight to run the ball. Our backs have been very productive, as you can see. Why take the ball out of the hands of the players that practice and prepare all week to carry it, just to let Knight run the ball?! There's also the fact that we don't have a proven, experienced back-up should something happen to TK. Why risk it? It makes no sense at all.

Watching Knight run the ball is fun, and he's pretty good at it, but wanting him to do it just because you want to see it is nuts.

vCash

I think Knight really just needs to reel off a few keepers, particularly if they go for big gains, to keep the defense honest. I was happy with him having just that one dagger of a run against Tulsa because that plants it in the defense's minds. Honestly, watching WVU, it looked like they were as concerned about TK running as Landry Jones. Granted, we gashed them, but I think 2-3 keepers are all that's necessary to set up that hesitation that's going to really open up things for our backs, even more.

I'd also like to roll Knight out more as he seems to be almost laser sharp when he's on the move. It's his natural comfort zone. I experience a similar thing with jump shots, where if I can square up and shoot, I'm much less reliable than if I take a shot off the dribble. Makes no sense, but I can completely understand how Knight might be similar between setting up and on the move.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Good offenses don't go 3-19 on 3rd down conversions spanning over 2 games. We are 4-0 and our TEAM has played well. If there is one area of concern it is our offense, specifically our consistency. We are 4-0 and have played ZERO top 25 teams. Yes, we have quality wins, but where we want to go we need much more from our offense. This type of need should be beholden by any one with any kind of football I.Q.

Now, will we see the read option? Hell, I don't know. We refused to give Knight the reigns when the W wasn't a sure thing which concerns me when we play Baylor, and it concerns me we wouldn't have practiced it if we play Bama/Oregon/FSU/A&M...
    Yes our TEAM has played well and it's a TEAM sport and we're 4-0 against the teams on our schedule. And both the Vols and WVU could play with many top 25 teams, so those poll numbers are not that important. And we need our passing game to improve in order to win the conference and compete in the playoffs. No one would argue that. Whether the zone read would help our passing game is just speculation on your part. It's clearly something that would make the offense more dangerous - for as long as TK stays healthy. My only point was that the decision is intentional and not some coaching oversight. And Stoops has been questioned on it repeatedly and is standing pat on the issue so far. I totally agree with you that we will require TK to make some plays with his legs in order to win some tough contest(s) down the road - it just hasn't happened yet. And I don't think Stoops is going to tell us what situation is going to trigger him to change modes; we just have to watch and see.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I'm just going to go ahead and defer to Bob Stoops on these tactical issues but I'm here for him if he needs it.

vCash

He will run when we need him. How many don't understand that? I am amazed.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    That's absolutely correct...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

BS will never have a running QB. He is way too scared that they will get hurt.

The reason this a concern, even though we are 4-0 against a group of horrible teams, is because we are so bad at third down efficiency. This isn't a new problem. We have had this problem ever since our OC got the play calling duties. It is almost like Chuck "Third and Long" is back. Our play calling on 1&2 downs has been poor for three years now.

I understand not wanting Knight to get hurt but there were many times in the wvu game I was thinking to myself wow he could have kept that for 10+ yards and had plenty of time to slide. It keeps the defense honest and like others have stated simply using it 2 or 3 times a game can open up the lanes for the backs and open up play action even more.

I understand saving it for when we need it, however I want to see Knight get more in-game experience with it because while he is typically very good at reading, he has made some bad ones, very occasionally... but still

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hvhurricane View Post
    we are 4-0 against a group of horrible teams.
    Seems like Tennessee and West Virginia have pretty good teams, but yeah, we need to be much better on 3rd down conversions.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

we are 4-0 against a group of horrible teams
    That is just incorrect. The Vols and WVU could be competitive with every team on our schedule other than Baylor and would beat some of them. Yes OUr team has areas for improvement, but everyone with a football IQ knew that going into the season. We are inexperienced at RB, WR, DB and yes - QB. Only the RBs have exceeded expectation. The DBs have met expectation and appear to be rapidly improving. From my point of view TK has met expectation unless if you expected a repeat of the Sugar Bowl every week. The big issue is the WR group (outside Shepard) which also makes TK look bad at times. But even there, both D. Neal and KJ Young's numbers are getting better, but progress is slow. I have no idea what is going on at TE.

I still trust we will continue to improve in all these areas as these players gain experience. This team is very good now and still has a ton of upside. We just need to continue to beat these "horrible" teams in the meantime.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Let me tell you something about the zone read...

...keep handing the ball to Perine. That'll keep us winning. And, that will keep us from having to have our quarterback put himself in harm's way by running a bunch.

If you can trample your opponents under foot with the run game, there's no need to trick up an offense too much. If you want to watch tricked up football, follow Texas Tech or Texas A&M and whichever the hell school is stupid enough to hire Mike Leach: Lots of tricked up yardage on offense, and zero championships to show for it.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    The Vols and WVU could be competitive with every team on our schedule other than Baylor
    I don't know about that. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with BU in Morgantown.

BU still hasn't played a decent team. We don't yet know what they're made of.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    I feel like we aren't using knights talents as well as we should. I understand the injury issue, but a clear lane is a clear lane. He is just as apt to get hurt in the pocket rather than a free lane...it's going to catch up with us, and damn near did @wv.

We don't have the wr from last year and we don't/haven't but CAN use the te. Hope things change a bit...at some point he is going to have to run.
    You're right Tony, we've all made the same observaton. Stoop's history has been not to show everything early in the season. Trust me, things will change.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    I don't know about that. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with BU in Morgantown.

BU still hasn't played a decent team. We don't yet know what they're made of.
    Yes, I'm assuming BU is as good as their billing. They played as expected @ISU which can be a tough place to play. KSU barely escaped with a W there. WVU can be tough, but their QB and 2 WRs are the only players that really stood out. That's enough to put up points in modern football, but not enough to win a lot of games.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ashley View Post
    Emphasis on 'We'.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Let me tell you something about the zone read...

...keep handing the ball to Perine. That'll keep us winning. And, that will keep us from having to have our quarterback put himself in harm's way by running a bunch.

If you can trample your opponents under foot with the run game, there's no need to trick up an offense too much. If you want to watch tricked up football, follow Texas Tech or Texas A&M and whichever the hell school is stupid enough to hire Mike Leach: Lots of tricked up yardage on offense, and zero championships to show for it.
    You'd think everyone would understand your logic. It's not hard...we have plenty of production in the backfield, and we're 4-0, why use the QB run game? Yet, for some reason, there are a fair amount of folks that don't seem to understand.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

There will be times down the road when Knight will need to pull it back and keep it.

Until then, let him keep handing it off and save his health.

We know what Knight can do when he keeps it.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

My wish for TK is to see him use his legs more on passing plays to escape the pocket and extend plays. He seems to either lock onto Shepard or throw the ball away quickly if no one is open. A QB escaping containment can put tons of pressure on a secondary to cover for 5+ seconds. And if a mobile QB escapes containment when the defense is playing man coverage, he can often run for big chunks of yardage before the defense even reacts. And this can be done SAFELY as he can step out of bounds or slide before a defender even gets close.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    My wish for TK is to see him use his legs more on passing plays to escape the pocket and extend plays. He seems to either lock onto Shepard or throw the ball away quickly if no one is open. A QB escaping containment can put tons of pressure on a secondary to cover for 5+ seconds. And if a mobile QB escapes containment when the defense is playing man coverage, he can often run for big chunks of yardage before the defense even reacts. And this can be done SAFELY as he can step out of bounds or slide before a defender even gets close.
    I don't have an issue with that, and he's done some of that already this year...and I suspect will do more as the season progresses.

I don't think he locks on to Shepard, but I do think at times he decides where he's going with the ball before the snap (without progressing through his reads). That's got everything to do with inexperience, and he will get better as he continues to develop.

He also needs some help by way of receivers catching the ball. I was impressed that he went back to Neal right after the drop (against WVU), but Neal didn't help the situation by dropping it again. However, he went back to Neal a little later (I think the next drive), so he does have confidence in him, he just needs the guys around him to be a little more consistent.