Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Knight/Read Option

At one point in this season we were 3-19 on the 3rd down conversions. Knight had ZERO yards rushing. If we are to run the table they are going to have I let him run a bit. Lanes are wide open, and this is a major part of his skill set. As of now Landry could run this style offense which is counter productive, and will at some point bite us...also, someone needs to tell heuple we do have a te, he is usually open and has great hands...

vCash
    Anyone who doesn't know how to spell our offensive coordinator's name probably shouldn't be trying to offer him advice.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Knight/Read Option

And would someone please inform Bob Stoops that our offense is "counter productive"...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

You tell 'em ObiKaTony, and take it straight to Bob. We'll back you up.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    You tell 'em ObiKaTony, and take it straight to Bob. We'll back you up.
    Love the sarcasm. Interesting you guys don't keep up with the news I suppose. He was asked about his 3rd down troubles (they were 3-19 at one point and were obviously struggling, I don't how anyone would think that is relative to offensive efficiencies) and he mentioned the read option.

Tricket had more rushing yards than knight in the wv game, now I wouldn't have taken that bet...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    Anyone who doesn't know how to spell our offensive coordinator's name probably shouldn't be trying to offer him advice.
    Anyone commenting on grammar when most are using iPhones these days shouldn't give advice what is pertinent to an argument-ever...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I feel like we aren't using knights talents as well as we should. I understand the injury issue, but a clear lane is a clear lane. He is just as apt to get hurt in the pocket rather than a free lane...it's going to catch up with us, and damn near did @wv.

We don't have the wr from last year and we don't/haven't but CAN use the te. Hope things change a bit...at some point he is going to have to run.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ObiKaTony View Post
    Love the sarcasm. Interesting you guys don't keep up with the news I suppose. He was asked about his 3rd down troubles (they were 3-19 at one point and were obviously struggling, I don't how anyone would think that is relative to offensive efficiencies) and he mentioned the read option.

Tricket had more rushing yards than knight in the wv game, now I wouldn't have taken that bet...
    And interesting you assume folks haven't kept up with a subject that has been beaten to death. It's obvious the TK has been told explicitly not to run up to this point in the season. I suspect that will change as the situation forces it to, but only time will tell. Given Stoops history, my guess is that Cody Thomas is still dinged up to the point they don't want him to play at all, although he did come in at the very end of the Tulsa game. Given the strength of the TCU defense, I wouldn't be surprised if TK must run next week and it doesn't need to be from the zone read.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

And interesting you assume folks haven't kept up with a subject that has been beaten to death. It's obvious the TK has been told explicitly not to run up to this point in the season. I suspect that will change as the situation forces it to, but only time will tell. Given Stoops history, my guess is that Cody Thomas is still dinged up to the point they don't want him to play at all, although he did come in at the very end of the Tulsa game. Given the strength of the TCU defense, I wouldn't be surprised if TK must run next week and it doesn't need to be from the zone read.
    Why wouldn't it be from the zone read?

My point is that his skill set is set up perfectly for the read. First he can throw an accurate ball on the run, he can run, he isn't consistent from the pocket, and he has weapons all around him that are made more accessible by keeping the lb's cb's honest. Now, this only works if the option is there for TK to run, and it appears that he is being told to handoff the ball (hence the 3-19) let TK be the qb he is, and it aint Landry Jones, and that is the offense we are currently running.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

have to say...the loons that take the "high road" and think that fans like me should "take it up with bob" were the same folks that used the same language when countless FANS on this page and other sites screamed for another DC and said Mike Stoops would be the difference maker. Um Yeah

Sooner Starter Since71ASooner4Life's Avatar
    vCash

At first I was disappointed we weren't seeing Knight run, but have since changed my mind. None of us know what plays are being practiced and are in the arsenal waiting to be used at the appropriate time. If we can keep winning convincingly without reminding others what Knight is capable of, then I think we are better off for it. Keep him healthy, and if we make it to January games use the run when it matters, and when defenses have prepared for things other than Knight running.

vCash

have to say...the loons that take the "high road" and think that fans like me should "take it up with bob" were the same folks that used the same language when countless FANS on this page and other sites screamed for another DC and said Mike Stoops would be the difference maker. Um Yeah
    Do you really believe it was fan pressure that convinced Bob to get rid of BV? My money is on the years of results combined with Mike becoming available. But there is nothing wrong with FANS voicing their opinion - have at it. My sarcasm stems from what I said - this topic has been beat to death and it is obvious it has been a deliberate decision by Stoops. It is not an oversight. He gets asked about it at his pressers and gives his annoyed response typical of when he has dug in his heels and doesn't want to talk about it.

I think you would agree we haven't needed TK to run. There was no need at all in the first 3 games. We didn't take control of the WVU game until mid-3rd quarter and even later before it was reflected on the scoreboard. This shows how determined the coaches are about TK not running. Had the game continued to be close into the 4th would we have opened things up? I suspect so, but there is no way to know. The goal is to win games, not to have good stats on 3rd down conversations and Bob has said that keeping TK healthy is the key to winning games down the road, so he doesn't care if it is pretty. So unless we get down by more than 1 score early or the game is undecided until very late, I suspect you will remain frustrated.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Do you really believe it was fan pressure that convinced Bob to get rid of BV? My money is on the years of results combined with Mike becoming available. But there is nothing wrong with FANS voicing their opinion - have at it. My sarcasm stems from what I said - this topic has been beat to death and it is obvious it has been a deliberate decision by Stoops. It is not an oversight. He gets asked about it at his pressers and gives his annoyed response typical of when he has dug in his heels and doesn't want to talk about it.

I think you would agree we haven't needed TK to run. There was no need at all in the first 3 games. We didn't take control of the WVU game until mid-3rd quarter and even later before it was reflected on the scoreboard. This shows how determined the coaches are about TK not running. Had the game continued to be close into the 4th would we have opened things up? I suspect so, but there is no way to know. The goal is to win games, not to have good stats on 3rd down conversations and Bob has said that keeping TK healthy is the key to winning games down the road, so he doesn't care if it is pretty. So unless we get down by more than 1 score early or the game is undecided until very late, I suspect you will remain frustrated.

Do you honestly believe that public pressure doesn't have any effect on a public figure? (which Bob is) Of course public pressure played a role, now how much only Bob Stoops sub conscience knows. I and others on this board were tarred and feathered for pointing out the obvious (our defense wasn't as good as years past) The topic of the read option is a live issue when it is relevant and it will cont to be relevant when our 3rd down conversion rate isn't good-didn't say it was bad...

I would also disagree that we haven't needed him to run; as we have been very fortunate. Without a 100 yard k/o return by Ross we are down by 7 in the west va game with our 3rd down conversion rate getting worse. Once again, Trickett (check spelling don't want my entire argument to unravel over a spelling error on my iPhone) had more rushing yards, that is ridiculous, and I believe it puts more pressure knight be something he is not which will effect him in the season. The read option is damn near impossible to stop (in college) with the right personnel (see vince young, cam newton, tebow, McCoy) We have that type personnel on this team yet were not using it. Practice makes perfect, and those that think we can just pick it up with great precision in a live game needs a reality check.

My concern is that we are not going to run the read option, and if that is the case we will NOT win a national title, period. Hope I'm wrong...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

At one point in this season we were 3-19 on the 3rd down conversions. Knight had ZERO yards rushing. If we are to run the table they are going to have I let him run a bit. Lanes are wide open, and this is a major part of his skill set. As of now Landry could run this style offense which is counter productive, and will at some point bite us...also, someone needs to tell heuple we do have a te, he is usually open and has great hands...
    Yeah, basically agree. Although, my hope is, they're sitting on those weapons (both Knight's feet and Bell) until we get deeper into the season. But bottom line is, if we want to go the distance this year, it's going to take more involvement from the TE and Knight loosening up the defense with his run threat. So far, we've won handily without needing either, but the best is yet to come that we'll face.

vCash

I would also disagree that we haven't needed him to run;
    We're 4-0 with all double digit wins. "Need" is in the eye of the beholder. And Ross did run that kick back and we were winning in the trenches on both O and D in the second half, so we were in control before the scoreboard reflected it. Good teams don't panic if they get down by a score.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

We're 4-0 with all double digit wins. "Need" is in the eye of the beholder. And Ross did run that kick back and we were winning in the trenches on both O and D in the second half, so we were in control before the scoreboard reflected it. Good teams don't panic if they get down by a score.
    Good offenses don't go 3-19 on 3rd down conversions spanning over 2 games. We are 4-0 and our TEAM has played well. If there is one area of concern it is our offense, specifically our consistency. We are 4-0 and have played ZERO top 25 teams. Yes, we have quality wins, but where we want to go we need much more from our offense. This type of need should be beholden by any one with any kind of football I.Q.

Now, will we see the read option? Hell, I don't know. We refused to give Knight the reigns when the W wasn't a sure thing which concerns me when we play Baylor, and it concerns me we wouldn't have practiced it if we play Bama/Oregon/FSU/A&M...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Was Knight injury-prone in high school? Considering how easily he was hurt last yr vs the pokes, I wonder.

Anyhow, I figure the next 3 games will see all the stops pulled out for the Sooner O, with a couple of nuggets saved for Baylor. In the meantime, the Sooner Nation holds its breath hoping another negative October Surprise doesn't await us in the Cotton Bowl.

vCash

Let's just be honest. If we lost to WVU, we had bigger issues than the read option.

Also, I'm not sure how much the read option would have helped against WVU. Seriously. We had two RB's averaging over 7 ypc (over 300 yards total), and we scored 45 points. Our issues were defensive. I'm starting to feel like this year's scapegoat is going to be the read option no matter what. I guess that's better than blaming Landry for everything.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Let's just be honest. If we lost to WVU, we had bigger issues than the read option.

Also, I'm not sure how much the read option would have helped against WVU. Seriously. We had two RB's averaging over 7 ypc (over 300 yards total), and we scored 45 points. Our issues were defensive. I'm starting to feel like this year's scapegoat is going to be the read option no matter what. I guess that's better than blaming Landry for everything.

Did you watch Tenn or the WV game? The Lanes were wide open for TK to run so it would have helped pad that 3-19 3rd down ratio. If you don't think Landry had a tangible reason why we lost games against good defenses then I suppose you didn't watch him play. He was as mobile in the pocket as my pet rock, and his feet were happier than a jihadist with a knife in his SENIOR year.

You are hearing so much about the read option because Knights skill set is set up like Colt Mccoys' and we are expecting to make the throws Landry would make in an offense not suited for his skill set. Hell yes it's a scape goat when a guy who can run damn good is being told "don't run" it's obvious, and it needs to change

vCash

Did you watch Tenn or the WV game? The Lanes were wide open for TK to run so it would have helped pad that 3-19 3rd down ratio. If you don't think Landry had a tangible reason why we lost games against good defenses then I suppose you didn't watch him play. He was as mobile in the pocket as my pet rock, and his feet were happier than a jihadist with a knife in his SENIOR year.

You are hearing so much about the read option because Knights skill set is set up like Colt Mccoys' and we are expecting to make the throws Landry would make in an offense not suited for his skill set. Hell yes it's a scape goat when a guy who can run damn good is being told "don't run" it's obvious, and it needs to change
    Do you win games with 3rd down conversion rates? I've always felt that scoring points was more important, and we're top 10 in the country for that statistic. We've also done that without having to endanger our QB. I'm a pretty happy camper right now.