Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Welp, an observation...

FSU almost got beat....Georgia almost got beat...Stanford had their hands full...
    aTM ..all the way to overtime..doesn't seem to be much respect for the higher
    ranked teams. Although not ranked, Meatchicken got hosed...pretty sure that
    Baylor will thump ISU but not sure if they'll cover the spread...just seems to be
    a fun season of college football for the next 8 or 9 weeks....

vCash

Re: Welp, an observation...

I lost my butt in the Posse Pickems
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I lost my butt in the Posse Pickems
    Ummm, lessee, take yer right hand and reach back where yer hip
    pocket is (where ya keep yer wallet) and then do the same with yer
    left hand where the other hip pocket is, once both hands er in position,
    grasp firmly on each buttock cheek, ya will have found yer lost butt!

See, it weren't so tuff....no need fer thanks...

vCash

Dayum, Baylor is putting a hurt on the 'Clones....

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 ouduckhunter's Avatar
    North Carolina via Oreygon, Texas, and the great state of Oklahoma
    vCash

Very nice! A South Carolina fan just flipped the bird after Mizzou scored the TD to tie it up at 20-20.
    From the home of Seymour Johnson Air Force Base...

Administrator
    vCash

Florida State is nowhere near the same team they were last year. NC State is a decent team, but they are a fringe top 25 team at best. I think that game exposed FSU (and makes the opener againt OSU a little more understandable). Not that OSU is horrible this year, but they are obviously not a top 5 team, and I think that game being close had less to do with it being a shaky opening game, and more to do with FSU not being the same team they were last year.

If Arkansas had a kicker, or the ability to run a 2:00 offense, Texas A&M would have lost. It was a solid win for the Aggies, but I really hope that game will temper some of the "A&M is a playoff contender" talk. Arkansas is better than they were last year, but a long way from being a really good team. At the very least, OU's lead over A&M in the polls should increase (not that the polls matter).

Tennessee showed Georgia what we saw a couple of weeks ago...that they are very talented, but terribly inexperienced. Georgia may have the best group of running backs in the country (although I think we're right up there, but that's for another thread), and Tennessee did a pretty good job of limiting their production. Worley isn't going to win the Heisman, but man I respect that kid. Had he not missed those three series, it would have been a different game. Georgia's a good team, but not a playoff team.

Right now, if I had to pick the top four teams in the country (based on how they've played through the first four weeks of the season):

Oklahoma
    Oregon
    Alabama
    Baylor

Of course that's not how the playoffs will play-out, but that's the four teams I think look the best at this point.

Administrator
    vCash

One more thing...

If you didn't watch the Texas/KU game, don't let the score fool you (23-0 Texas). The Texas defense kept the game from being lost. Texas intercepted KU 4 times (two times in or near the endzone). KU rushed for 173 yards, but could never put the ball in the the endzone. KU is in desperate need of a QB, because the one they have now isn't very good. Lucky for Texas, he's the only option.

The Longhorns are still playing pretty solid defense, although they did let up a lot of rushing yards, but their offense is anemic. Tyrone Swoopes doesn't look any better than he did in his first game two weeks ago. He's decent enough with the short passes, but not very good beyond that.

If OU shows up to play in the Cotton bowl, the Sooners should dominate.

Texas may not have another win on their schedule, unless they get a lot better really quick.

vCash

My top 3

Alabama
    OU
    FSU

FSU may have started slow and spotted NCS a 17 point lead, but they dominated the final 3 quarters even with sprinkling in TOs along the way. I agree there are not the same team as last year, but still very good. I wouldn't put OU at the top right now, but I think OU has the highest ceiling of all the teams. If the young guys steadily improve with each game, we should be the best by the time we play Baylor and beyond. The passing game must improve to get to where we need to be, so the young WRs must mature quickly.

There is a list of teams I put in the 4th spot. Baylor may be one of them, but I just don't see the big12 getting 2 spots and I'm taking OU off the list. Oregon, UCLA, MSU, Auburn, aTm considered. After seeing the Ducks problems on the O-line against Wazzou, I'm a doubter. After watching UCLA last night, I can see why they are the trendy pick. They have studs all over the field and they are making plays on defense and special teams too. I think they play the Ducks in a couple of weeks and the winner could be the last undefeated pac12 team. I still like MSU creeping into the picture by running the BiG while other conferences duke it out.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    My top 3

Alabama
    OU
    FSU

FSU may have started slow and spotted NCS a 17 point lead, but they dominated the final 3 quarters even with sprinkling in TOs along the way. I agree there are not the same team as last year, but still very good. I wouldn't put OU at the top right now, but I think OU has the highest ceiling of all the teams. If the young guys steadily improve with each game, we should be the best by the time we play Baylor and beyond. The passing game must improve to get to where we need to be, so the young WRs must mature quickly.

There is a list of teams I put in the 4th spot. Baylor may be one of them, but I just don't see the big12 getting 2 spots and I'm taking OU off the list. Oregon, UCLA, MSU, Auburn, aTm considered. After seeing the Ducks problems on the O-line against Wazzou, I'm a doubter. After watching UCLA last night, I can see why they are the trendy pick. They have studs all over the field and they are making plays on defense and special teams too. I think they play the Ducks in a couple of weeks and the winner could be the last undefeated pac12 team. I still like MSU creeping into the picture by running the BiG while other conferences duke it out.
    FSU did play much better after they spotted NC State 17, but the game wasn't decided until late in the fourth. They are a very good team, I just don't think they've played as good as a few in front of them.

Oregon really looked sketchy last week, so in fairness, I probably shouldn't have included them in my top 4. I *think* they will hold up in the PAC 12, but UCLA could roll if they become a consistent team.

Had MSU not gotten drum rolled at Oregon, I'd have them in my top 4. Someone has to win the Big 10, right? So, it'll probably be MSU. It's going to be an uphill climb for anyone from the Big 10 to make the playoff. MSU is probably the best of the conference, and they have a very ugly loss on their schedule.

As for our Sooners, they will be in for a test this week. TCU will be the toughest defense we've seen this year, and maybe all year. I will say that after watching every game I could find on TV today, I've yet to see a defense that plays better than ours.

vCash

I think we would beat Oregon and FSU pretty solidly right now. Both teams are very talented, though, and I think they'll have it figured out by the team we would get a crack at them. Right now, I'd go:

1. OU
    2. Alabama
    3. Baylor
    4. Oregon

I kind of expect Baylor to fade down the stretch again, though.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

Yes FSU looked really good against a team that beat Georgia Southern by 1 point and Old Dominion by 12 points. That's a pretty good NC State team. Ha
    FSU is a decent team not a "very good team". FSU is a very overrated team.

vCash

I have to but Bama at the top right now. Their skill players are ridiculous. I'd put our RBs right up there with 'Bama's, but the WR play isn't even close. And their QB is playing at a very high level. I'd say equal to McCarron in the passing game, but the guy is really fast - I mean he is Trevor Knight fast. Our defense would have fits trying to sack him. I put our defense above theirs as being more disruptive, but theirs is pretty good too.

I'm all for ranking OU in the top 4 because I am born and bred. Yet without a difference-maker at quarterback, it's difficult for me to see how we are going to run the table. We did it in 2000 with a genie at QB, no injuries, some great defense, and a little luck. We have the parts and the determination and some momentum and we may indeed have one of those magical seasons. But the O goes dormant far too often during games. TCU will be a stout test with their defense. Hopefully we will continue to improve throughout the season, which has been our pattern.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    I'm all for ranking OU in the top 4 because I am born and bred. Yet without a difference-maker at quarterback, it's difficult for me to see how we are going to run the table. We did it in 2000 with a genie at QB, no injuries, some great defense, and a little luck. We have the parts and the determination and some momentum and we may indeed have one of those magical seasons. But the O goes dormant far too often during games. TCU will be a stout test with their defense. Hopefully we will continue to improve throughout the season, which has been our pattern.
    Sugar Bowl says hello.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Sugar Bowl says hello.
    Obviously, we haven't seen a performance like that this year (and they won't let you carry over credits, the bastages). The lack of Saunders and Bester has a lot to do with that. I trust our receiving group will be there when we need them.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Obviously, we haven't seen a performance like that this year and they won't let you carry over credits, the bastages). The lack of Saunders and Bester has a lot to do with that. I trust our receiving group will be there when we need them.
    The WR's could use a boost...I'll give you that. I suspect one of these true freshman will pick up the slack eventually if Woods, Young, or Smallwood doesn't (Broyles, Saunder, Shepard...Quick?). I also feel as if we might stop humoring Bell eventually, and give Knight a real weapon. We really haven't let Knight loose, so I'm rolling over credits.

TK gets all the credit for the sugar bowl near-perfection, and all A's for leadership and fire. But the other 8 games he has played he has ranged from ineffective to good (mostly average or slightly above), but with some persistent tendencies to throw behind and over open receivers, which is why our third down conversions are so low. We are going to need consistent plays and creativity from our QB to take it all, is all I'm saying. The WR corps stepping up would obviously help this situation. But they need time, just like TK does, to mature. Other than these questions, I think we have the personnel to go the distance.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    TK gets all the credit for the sugar bowl near-perfection, and all A's for leadership and fire. But the other 8 games he has played he has ranged from ineffective to good (mostly average or slightly above), but with some persistent tendencies to throw behind and over open receivers, which is why our third down conversions are so low. We are going to need consistent plays and creativity from our QB to take it all, is all I'm saying. The WR corps stepping up would obviously help this situation. But they need time, just like TK does, to mature. Other than these questions, I think we have the personnel to go the distance.

TK isn't running his offense. He isn't going to pick you apart like Landry, he will however run like colt McCoy as his skill set is similar. Read option (where knight actually has the option to run) and the te we just refuse to use. The offensive scheme I'm not a fan of, our talent wins despite us. You let knight run a bit he doesn't have to make those pin point throws. Tricket had moe rush yards than knight, that is ridiculous...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post

If Arkansas had a kicker, or the ability to run a 2:00 offense, Texas A&M would have lost. It was a solid win for the Aggies, but I really hope that game will temper some of the "A&M is a playoff contender" talk. Arkansas is better than they were last year, but a long way from being a really good team. At the very least, OU's lead over A&M in the polls should increase (not that the polls matter).
    Not happening. The media is already spinning it into that the SEC west is that much stronger.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    Yes FSU looked really good against a team that beat Georgia Southern by 1 point and Old Dominion by 12 points. That's a pretty good NC State team. Ha
    FSU is a decent team not a "very good team". FSU is a very overrated team.
    I disagree, I think FSU is a 'very good team' (with Winston at QB), but not elite. Also, NC State isn't a bad little team. Georgia Southern and Old Dominion aren't horrible programs.

I will agree that FSU is overrated, but that's status quo for the media.