vCash

God, Beam me up!

I'm going to say a few words about a man I've long admired.

It is with great sadness and grief that I learned of the death of former US Congressman, James Traficant (D-OH) late this afternoon. He was the most honest Democrat in DC that I've ever known. Traficant was a patriot who was a tireless defender of the American dream, American individualism, and American industry. From border security to international trade to defense policy, Traficant refused to be ideologically pigeonholed as a run-of-the-mill liberal Democrat. Traficant, in fact, epitomized many of the paleoconservative principles that are so rare and difficult to find among Washington politicians today. Traficant was a man who could not have cared less what Washington elites or his own party’s leadership thought of him -- the latter of which constantly sought to marginalize and even discredit him.

His one minute floor speeches became a thing of legend. With his cheap 70s polyester suits and his unique, possibly even fake, hairstyle -- Traficant would speak on a wide range of topics that pointed out the absurdity of government and Federal policy ending each speech with the appeal, “Mr. Speaker, Beam me up!” His favorite topic of conversation was the loss of American wages and our declining industrial capacity as a result of NAFTA and trade with China. The IRS was also a frequent target of savage but always witty attacks. Traficant believed in America where the individual was supreme free of government extortion. He believed in an America where we still had the capacity to produce things on our own, and the average American had a reasonable expectation of finding well-paid work. He very much epitomized rust-belt populism.

The real tragedy of Traficant’s life was the government witch hunt to indict and prosecute him on a myriad of alleged offenses including using campaign funds for personal use. His alleged offenses were petty and paled in comparison to the crimes perpetrated by the overwhelming majority of his colleagues in Congress who steal and/or waste taxpayer funds in the hundreds of millions. Nonetheless, after decades of trying to get a conviction, the government succeeded in putting Traficant in Federal prison. I’m sure we all slept better at night knowing this man and his polyester suits were off the streets.

I had the opportunity to meet Traficant when I was a junior in HS spending two weeks in Washington DC attending Presidential Classroom and National Youth Leadership Forum on Defense, Intelligence, and Diplomacy. There were a couple of days in which we were allowed to explore and do as we pleased on Capitol Hill. With time on my hands, I sought out Traficant’s office. His office was the definition of a Capitol Hill backwater located in what must have been a converted broom closet. The staff was seemed down-right shocked to get a visitor. I introduced myself and explained that I was neither a Democrat nor was I from Ohio, but that I would like to meet the Congressman. His friendly secretary apologized and said he was on the floor and not sure when he would return. At that moment, the door opens and in walks Traficant himself. He immediately walks over to me, introduces himself, asks my name, and peppers me with questions about myself and my time in DC. He then invites me into his office where he had 8x10 photos of himself which he graciously signed for me. We spoke a few more minutes, and then I took my leave.

Goodbye, Congressman. I like to think that your final words on Earth before ascending to the heavens were, “God, beam me up!”

vCash

Re: God, Beam me up!

Said a Vintage tractor flipped on him. Wonder how much they want for the tractor?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Said a Vintage tractor flipped on him. Wonder how much they want for the tractor?
    Well, hell, Vet, go check Ebay...I remember some of his "stuff"...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by rock on sooner View Post
    Well, hell, Vet, go check Ebay...I remember some of his "stuff"...
    I got an old 48 Farmall I need some parts fer. Figure the family will sell cheap LOL
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

SoonerFans.com Elite Member cleller's Avatar
    vCash

Where some see a polyester hero, others see of dorfus looking criminal who worked his way into Federal Pen. No easy task.

But, if David Duke was a supporter of his, he must at least be colorful. The guy also claimed to know things about the Kennedy assasination, Ruby Ridge, Waco, Pam-Am 103, and Jimmy Hoffa. He must have specialized as the whacko at dinner parties.

Plus, he's from Ohio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Traficant

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

He was definitely one of a kind.

vCash

So is the Tractor fer sale?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    So is the Tractor fer sale?
    Dayum yew gotta one track mind!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

one TRACTOR mind....
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!