Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Mayfield is Eligible

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I read a post from someone recently that said Thomas hasn't performed well in practice, and of course he was fairly recently supposed to have an issue or issues, physical we guessed, although never discussed, at least that I read or heard anywhere...
    Probably the reason for Knight's conversion process into Nate Hybel.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Tulsa World is not confirming that Mayfield has been cleared to play.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Sources tell me Baker Mayfield will not play with OU this year. They also tell me that he will never play at OU. Those sources, of course, are my eyes and brain which both decided last year that he wasn't good enough to play for us.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I have the same question. It seems the QB that is not available is automatically better than the one that is. Mayfield has game experience, but he was beat out for the job and it was in a different system with a different coach. Thomas is in his 2nd year in our program but everyone is discounting him.
    Agreed. If we're not comfortable with Knight running the ball despite having Bell, Thomas, and Hansen...WTH would having Mayfield change anything?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I think the reasoning would be that Mayfield is also a 'dual threat' QB and neither Bell nor Thomas are (and the coaches absolutely do not want Hansen's shirt to be burned).
    Mayfield looked pretty good in the spring game, for whatever worth that is; and he has actually started, played and won games in our conference. And done so with a team that did not and does not have the caliber of athletes OU has. So, obviously he can play at this level.
    Right now, we are not running a zone read offense because it's apparent that Knight is not being allowed to actually 'read' anything. Mayfield would provide another dual threat QB behind Knight rather than OU face the necessity of changing the offense entirely in the event Knight got injured.

Or so I imagine the argument to go. Why so negative on Mayfield?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

I'm not negative on Mayfield at all - just wondering why everyone is so negative on Thomas. I also don't see Mayfield coming in and changing the decision to not run TK. We're not going to win the big12 and go to the playoffs with a backup QB, so TK running will be used to break the glass in case of emergency. I see Mayfield as needed depth that could help keep Hansen's redshirt, but 1/3 of the season is gone and no Mayfield yet anyway.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Cody Thomas can run pretty good and I don't really see everyone being negative toward him. He just hasn't been under the gun and performed in a real game the way Baker Mayfield has. It's actually good we have them both.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Mayfield has started one less football game at a B12 school than Knight has. I think it is clear Knight is a work in progress with lots of development left to do, and that coaches are playing to keep him from getting injured. Wouldn't hurt to have a player like Mayfield as the backup QB, pushing Knight. Mayfield outperformed Knight in the spring game. Knight is still throwing the same kind of ball he was throwing in the spring and he runs very streaky during games with his passing accuracy. Mayfield being ready to go sure wouldn't hurt our chances any, and may send Knight into an extra gear that would improve his game. Who knows. Can't hurt. I suspect the two are basically interchangeable in this offense. Not saying Mayfield could do better, but maybe at least as good as Knight at this time.

vCash

I'd put money on Bell playing QB before Mayfield this season even if both were eligible. If you think Mayfield was successful against the Big XII last year, you only watched the Baylor game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...baker-mayfield

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

If he does become eligible...Can we list him as the starter against Tech? Just for fun.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

Administrator
    vCash

So, Dean Blevins prematurely ejaculated...again.

For those interested, Cody Thomas suffered a minor injury in fall camp, and that kept him out of the La Tech game (late). He's still dealing with some residual issues, but they aren't enough to prevent him from practicing. Also, Thomas IS a dual threat QB, but not quite the runner Knight is, so if he were called on to play, he could execute the same playbook.

I think the interest (by the coaches) in having Mayfield available is because of his experience against Big XII defenses. As the season moves along, I think his advantage over Thomas will get thinner. Mayfield played well at times last season, but he also looked horrible at times. There is a reason he wasn't recruited by any of the big programs...so, let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Also, if anyone is interested, there's a chance we will not take a QB in this year's class. We're pretty full at the position, and unless we can get a high profile kid (like Torrance Marshall), there's a chance we pass on the position altogether. Hansen is all but red-shirted going forward.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    So, Dean Blevins prematurely ejaculated...again.

We're pretty full at the position, and unless we can get a high profile kid (like Torrance Marshall), there's a chance we pass on the position altogether.
    Understandable mistake, I'm sure you meant Gibson, but we could sure use another Torrance Marshall.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I'd put money on Bell playing QB before Mayfield this season even if both were eligible. If you think Mayfield was successful against the Big XII last year, you only watched the Baylor game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...baker-mayfield
    His numbers overall look awfully similar to Knight's to be honest. Even his physical attributes are very similar. I'm not saying he's a world-beater, or better than Thomas/Hansen, but he's experienced. He's got at least as many weapons here as at Tech, with likely a better run game and most certainly a better defense.

I'm not pretending to know much about him, just guessing. If I were to classify him by what little I've seen, I'd say that he appears to be a more consistent passer than Knight, and almost as good of a runner. He was a walk-on for a reason, so Knight probably has a higher-ceiling...but we're not looking for a starter, just a backup that can fill in if Knight gets injured. Given that we don't know much about Thomas at all, and in a season where we're chasing a playoff spot...if Knight gets injured and Mayfield is available, I can't see anyone else starting. And I'd definitely rather see Mayfield in the game than Bell.

vCash

I can see the arguments against exuberance. But, when I was forced to think about it for more than a minute, what Mayfield really has that recommends him is that he's a 'gamer'. The guy got shafted at Tech and, especially in light of what I'm about to say, probably didn't get on too well with Kliffy. Because Mayfield's cocky. Not Johnny Effing cocky, but he does not lack in self confidence. He walks on. At TWO Div 1 schools. Ends up starting for a time at one and would have already seen the field at the other if not for transfer rules. And his team mates seem to love him and are willing to add to their already busy workout schedules to go work extra with him. He's a leader, as we heard, repeatedly, over the spring and summer.
    The will and charisma set him apart, and he seems to have them focused in a positive direction instead of being an ego-maniac.
    He's not perfect sized, but isn't small (6'2", 220 ish). He isn't the fastest man on the field but is a bit elusive. He throws a nice ball but is not a Sam Bradford. But he has some 'wanna' to him, for example, that was utterly lacking in some other QB's we've watched in recent years.

This guy's got a little something and I'm glad he wanted to bring it to Norman.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Understandable mistake, I'm sure you meant Gibson, but we could sure use another Torrance Marshall.
    Hahaha...I was just watching a clip of the 2000 A&M game, so I had Marshall on the brain. Yes, I meant Gibson.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    I can see the arguments against exuberance. But, when I was forced to think about it for more than a minute, what Mayfield really has that recommends him is that he's a 'gamer'. The guy got shafted at Tech and, especially in light of what I'm about to say, probably didn't get on too well with Kliffy. Because Mayfield's cocky. Not Johnny Effing cocky, but he does not lack in self confidence. He walks on. At TWO Div 1 schools. Ends up starting for a time at one and would have already seen the field at the other if not for transfer rules. And his team mates seem to love him and are willing to add to their already busy workout schedules to go work extra with him. He's a leader, as we heard, repeatedly, over the spring and summer.
    The will and charisma set him apart, and he seems to have them focused in a positive direction instead of being an ego-maniac.
    He's not perfect sized, but isn't small (6'2", 220 ish). He isn't the fastest man on the field but is a bit elusive. He throws a nice ball but is not a Sam Bradford. But he has some 'wanna' to him, for example, that was utterly lacking in some other QB's we've watched in recent years.

This guy's got a little something and I'm glad he wanted to bring it to Norman.
    I agree, all things being equal, Mayfield has the advantage in the intangibles. He's definitely got the attention of his team mates, and that can carry a lot of weight.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I agree, all things being equal, Mayfield has the advantage in the intangibles. He's definitely got the attention of his team mates, and that can carry a lot of weight.
    Too bad it doesn't carry weight with the NCAA or big12

vCash

Dunno. His lawyer seemed to know what to say to the NCAA (donkey photos from Tijuana circa 1985? Who knows?)
    Now selfsame lawyer just needs to crack that drum of whoopazz open on the Big12 office.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    His numbers overall look awfully similar to Knight's to be honest.
    Yes, and Knight got benched for putting up those statistics last year.

I'm not saying he's a world-beater, or better than Thomas/Hansen, but he's experienced. He's got at least as many weapons here as at Tech, with likely a better run game and most certainly a better defense.
    "I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent."

He has experience, but it was mostly negative. I'm also confused...are you inferring that he would put up BETTER numbers at OU than at Tech? Tech QB's are usually less talented than what we have here, yet put up video game numbers with regularity.

vCash

Did anybody look at Baker's game log? He had a good game against Baylor, but beyond that:

1 TD...7 INTs. That's what he did in 5 Big XII games. At Texas Tech of all places. Stop calling him a "gamer."