Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Re: Mayfield is Eligible

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yes, and Knight got benched for putting up those statistics last year.
    Funny. The story most of us heard is that he was benched because he was injured. And you might want to rethink that statement, given that Knight put up those numbers for the entire season...yet he remained the unquestioned starter into the Alabama game and was the clear starter going into this season. Try not to confuse the facts while justifying your position.

"I'd rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent."

He has experience, but it was mostly negative. I'm also confused...are you inferring that he would put up BETTER numbers at OU than at Tech? Tech QB's are usually less talented than what we have here, yet put up video game numbers with regularity.
    Um. No. I only said that he would likely start over Thomas and Bell because of his experience. As for comparing his numbers at Tech with what he'd do at OU, you're looking at 2 completely different teams and systems, so you're focusing too hard on the numbers. All I'm saying is that he has the potential to be as good as Knight is right now, given the upgrades in running game and defense. At Tech he HAS to put up good numbers. At OU he just has to make plays.

I look at it this way - it's not like we offered him a scholarship, are fighting with the NCAA to get him eligible, and are planning to make him the #2 because he sucks.

And I'm not saying you're completely wrong. He very well could end up being a complete bust. But, given the surrounding circumstances, I highly doubt it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Funny. The story most of us heard is that he was benched because he was injured.
    You're conveniently forgetting that he continued to ride the bench even after he healed from his injury.

And you might want to rethink that statement, given that Knight put up those numbers for the entire season...yet he remained the unquestioned starter into the Alabama game and was the clear starter going into this season. Try not to confuse the facts while justifying your position.
    Huh? If I'm not mistaken, Bell saved the day at OSU, and we didn't know who the starter was going to be until gameday. You don't remember people making excuses for Alabama having to gameplan for 2 QBs? Thanks for giving me a chuckle about confusing facts, though.

I look at it this way - it's not like we offered him a scholarship, are fighting with the NCAA to get him eligible, and are planning to make him the #2 because he sucks.
    We offered him a scholarship? Honest question. I've not heard about that, but it may be true.

I'm not saying he'll never be anything. I'm just saying that he was garbage last year, and I doubt he's improved enough this year to warrant any playing time (which doesn't even appear to be possible anyway). Admittedly, he was a true freshman, so maybe something will come of him, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think we have better guys.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

You're conveniently forgetting that he continued to ride the bench even after he healed from his injury.

Huh? If I'm not mistaken, Bell saved the day at OSU, and we didn't know who the starter was going to be until gameday. You don't remember people making excuses for Alabama having to gameplan for 2 QBs? Thanks for giving me a chuckle about confusing facts, though.
    Well, you can chuckle all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. Knight was benched in the OSU game...why was that again? Knight had been successfully running the team since the Iowa State game. It doesn't matter that Bell saved the OSU game. He didn't EARN the job back because Knight's poor play. He got it because Knight was injured and Kendall Thompson was terrible. And what was the question regarding Knight's status prior to the Alabama game? Um, it had nothing to do with his productivity, the coaches were sticking with him if he was healthy; the question was whether his injured thumb would be a restriction or not. That's what the coaches were withholding...not whether Knight was worthy of the starting job based on his "numbers". Regardless, when Knight re-won the starting job, he did it with numbers that largely sucked - which coincidentally are comparable numbers to what Mayfield put up at Tech. Your overall assumption that Knight's numbers got him benched is completely incorrect, because each time he was benched it was due to injury. You're right, he didn't get the starting job back right away. But when it came down to who the coaches always favored, it was clearly Knight that the coaches wanted, every single time...and that was DESPITE his numbers. I see Mayfield in much the same light. Numbers weren't great, but he's got a very similar overall game to what you see with Knight...and either way he's a better pass/run option than Bell was simply because of his quickness. (And I'm a fan of Bell)

We offered him a scholarship? Honest question. I've not heard about that, but it may be true.
    I believe I had read that after Tech lifted the scholarship ban on him that we gave him a scholly. I could be wrong on that, but I'm too lazy to research this late.

I'm not saying he'll never be anything. I'm just saying that he was garbage last year, and I doubt he's improved enough this year to warrant any playing time (which doesn't even appear to be possible anyway). Admittedly, he was a true freshman, so maybe something will come of him, but I'm not going to hold my breath. I think we have better guys.
    This is the part I can agree with. I'll say with complete honesty that I have no idea how good/bad he'll be. All I'll say, and what I've been saying all along, is that when I look at the stance the coaches appear to be taking on Mayfield, the little bit of game film that I've seen of him, and what little I've seen of Thomas - I don't see any reason why Mayfield would NOT be the #2 at this point in the game. And with that said, I'd much rather have an experienced backup with the option of going to Thomas if Mayfield fails, than not having Mayfield at all, and blindly hoping that Thomas can step up.

I get that he sucked at Tech last year. But Tech itself sucked last year. That's like saying that KU RB sucks because of his numbers. Well yeah...because he's at KU. If I were to go by anything, I'd probably go by Mayfield's numbers in the Spring game, because at least he's working THIS offense at that point. And he didn't do too poorly. Again, we don't have enough data to know for sure, but with everything the coaches are throwing at trying to get him eligible, the likelihood that he'll be a repeat of what he was at Tech is minimal, IMO.

vCash

Well, you can chuckle all you want, it doesn't change the fact that you're wrong. Knight was benched in the OSU game...why was that again?
    Because he was hurt.

But that's not what I was talking about. I'm talking about when he got hurt against WVU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ton Loc View Post
    If he does become eligible...Can we list him as the starter against Tech? Just for fun.
    good one!
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

We're 4-0 with all roster QB's healthy and might be getting the services of a guy who won some games last year at this level, in fact in this conference.

How on earth can anyone be so crabbed in their perspective as to make of that a negative thing?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Found this article this morning - Eligibility

Looks like they were unable to give one due to the timing, but sounds like the intent is there.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    We're 4-0 with all roster QB's healthy and might be getting the services of a guy who won some games last year at this level, in fact in this conference.

How on earth can anyone be so crabbed in their perspective as to make of that a negative thing?
    Good question
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Found this article this morning - Eligibility

Looks like they were unable to give one due to the timing, but sounds like the intent is there.
    My understanding is, the search for a '15 QB is off (short of getting someone so top-flight that anyone would take him) and that Mayfield is going to get that scholly, if not one sooner. They've moved on to start looking for the '16 QB.

Don't take that to the bank, because I don't even remember where I read it. But that's what I understand to be going on.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    My understanding is, the search for a '15 QB is off (short of getting someone so top-flight that anyone would take him) and that Mayfield is going to get that scholly, if not one sooner. They've moved on to start looking for the '16 QB.

Don't take that to the bank, because I don't even remember where I read it. But that's what I understand to be going on.
    I didn't read that, but it makes sense given the lack of QB recruiting targets. Either way, the clear vibe here is that the coaches like what they see enough to put him at #2 right away. I get what Eielson is saying - let's temper our expectations - but I have a hard time believing that the guy plain sucks. He was a walk-on, so he was overlooked for some reason, possibly legitimately. So it's reasonable to withhold judgment. But from what I've seen, and considering all the other circumstances, he's clearly got promise. Especially since we're talking about a backup, not a starter. If, God forbid, we need him, he'd only have to manage an offense and make a few plays. That's not much different than what we ask Knight, to be honest. I think Knight and Thomas have a much higher ceiling. But when you account for the stakes this year - potential playoff/NC - having a capable experienced backup is probably more important than sheer talent.

Now next year, or the year after? Completely different story.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post

It's not a negative.

What does drive me a little crazy is when I hear people talk about Mayfield as the second coming of Bradford, or that he should be playing in front of Knight. I haven't seen that on this board, but I have heard/read it elsewhere.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Meh, shake your head and enjoy their enthusiasm. It's not like Bob's going to listen to them.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

I was driving back listening to the Sports Urinal who had Jake Trotter on. Trotter said in no uncertain terms that Baker Mayfield has NOT been cleared by the NCAA. He also said that if he were to be cleared by the NCAA it wouldn't make any difference what TT does, he would be eligible to play.