vCash

The sweet taste of my beaten opponent's tears: Mountaineer Field magic has vanished

http://www.timeswv.com/sports/articl...da9f79588.html

Mountaineer Field magic has vanished

By Bob Hertzel | Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2014 12:11 am

MORGANTOWN – Once upon time this was a land of magic, this place called Mountaineer Field at Milan Puskar Stadium.

No more.

Once upon a time it meant something, this intangible known as home field advantage.

No more.

It’s gone, just as the momentum that grew out of a solid performance against Alabama and then victories over Towson and Maryland is gone.

Abra cadabra … disappeared.

If ever Mountaineer Field was going to mean something it was on this night, a lovely Saturday during which 61,908 fans crammed their way into the stadium.

They were hyper and hyped, dressed in blue and gold in alternating sections, striping the stadium.

All day they had tailgated, preparing to be at their rowdy best for the nation’s No. 4 team, Oklahoma.

Once upon a time this was an upset waiting to happen.

Not this Saturday night.

WVU always had one of college football’s greatest home-field advantages, especially in night games.

Now they have lost nine home games in three-plus years.

Since the start of the 2012 season WVU is 8-7 at home. Under Holgorsen they are 13-9, but have lost four of their last five home games.

FOUR OF FIVE!

Now we need to put a little perspective on this, so look at it this way.

In three years under Bill Stewart they lost two home games, the only home loses being to Cincinnati in 2008 and to Syracuse in 2010.

Stewart’s team won 19 times at home over those years.

What is going on is unacceptable, even if you want to put an asterisk on it and note that the Mountaineers now play in the Big 12 and the competition is tougher.

Acknowledging that, when last observed losing to Iowa State at home was a disgrace no matter what league Iowa State played in, even the NFL.

And to make matters worse, at home, WVU has always been the most physical team, the team that sent an opponent home wearing bruises, even if it somehow managed to also wear a smile by pulling out a victory.

This game against Oklahoma, though, saw West Virginia manhandled.

Yes, the game turned on a kickoff return of 100 yards, but the fact of the matter is that the Sooners took over the second half on the ground and simply beat the hell out of WVU … and there is no other way to put it.

Samaje Perine run over, through and around people. He stands 5-11 and weighs in at 243 pounds of gristle and muscle.

All Perine did was brutalize West Virginia for 242 yards and four touchdowns.

Let me give you an idea of just how good that is. It’s the most yards gained rushing by an opposing player in Morgantown since Nov. 13, 1965, when Syracuse’s Hall of Fame fullback Larry Csonka rushed for 216 yards.

Samaje Perine rushed for those yards and scores as the Oklahoma offensive line simple pounded the defense.

Once upon a time, that wouldn’t happen … but that was in another day and another age.

Follow Bob Hertzel on Twitter @bhertzel.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: The sweet taste of my beaten opponent's tears: Mountaineer Field magic has vanish

"Samaje Perine run over, through and around people. He stands 5-11 and weighs in at 243 pounds of gristle and muscle. All Perine did was brutalize West Virginia for 242 yards "

Oh heck, let's just give him a yard per pound.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: The sweet taste of my beaten opponent's tears: Mountaineer Field magic has vanish

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    "Samaje Perine run over, through and around people. He stands 5-11 and weighs in at 243 pounds of gristle and muscle. All Perine did was brutalize West Virginia for 242 yards "

Oh heck, let's just give him a yard per pound.
    I'm sure he was down a few pounds from sweating after all those carries, so more than a yard per pound.

vCash

Nice review, Charles Dickens.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Damn good read.

Because we won.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

That . . . was . . . awesome!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nanimonai's Avatar
    vCash

So they are shocked that a not-even-top-25 (although probably better than their record) team lost to the #4 in the country?

They played well and the game was in doubt for 3/4 of the time. They put up a fight but the more talented team won.
    clever signature

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Reading through their boards after our win, I started to wonder how many moral victories we'd be dispensing over the course of the season.
    "I'm proud of our guys for being competitive." Reminds me of the 90s.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Yes, the Big XII is much tougher than any east coast league. This writer needs to acknowledge that more than he does. WV is a quality opponent, a lesson OU had to learn the painful way. Now they are living the reality that the league they are in will not result in gimme wins week after week.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Did he attend the Jenni Carlson School of Journalism? What is with these writers and their one sentence paragraphs? Or is it editors just trying to take up more inches?

That was fun to read, especially after all those "we are so relaxed and confident, we got this one" statements before the game.
    Aries