Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Welcome to West Virginia. Thanks for coming.

A short, four hour drive from DC, last night was my second time in Morgantown - girlfriend and I went to the nail biter game two years ago as well - and I just want to say that WVU fans are absolutely wonderful hosts. Both games in Morgantown, where OU has come away with a victory mind you, the two most common things we heard were, "Welcome to West Virginia!" and "Thank you for coming."

Now, after years - and years - of dealing with burnt orange, other variant of puke-poke orange and still having nightmarish flashbacks of "Tigah Bait" and being spit on in New Orleans (those of you there remember, I know), I'm usually on alert, aware of those who are looking to harass, haze and/or just make miserable. So, my default setting is to take statements like those coming from the WVU fans with a grain of salt.

But, now after visiting WVU a second time last night, I really have to give it up to the WVU fans. So very nice, and so very respectful. They are genuinely thrilled to be in the Big 12 (even though they lost their rivalry with Pitt, who, as best I can gather, was their [vomit] Texas [/vomit]). However, they spared no chance to ask us if we were enjoying our time in WVU, wished us good luck before the game, were complimentary at halftime when the game was tied and really, sincerely, wanted to thank us for visiting.

What I found even more interesting was that I was asked several times if we were being treated well by the other fans there. All I had to say was good things about how we were received. Of course, EVERY fan base at ANY game is going to have it's share of, "________ team sucks!" or distant cries of "F-U Oklahoma," especially if any alcohol is present. But we all know that happens everywhere and is no big deal. Twice now I have been and have NEVER had a single experience of someone running up and jumping in front of my face and telling me to, "Go the F home! Get the hell out of our state!" (I'm looking at you LSU...).

I know WVU has had their share of headline-making couch burnings - and maybe it would be different if I had been sporting a Pitt shirt - but to a couple of Sooner fans clad in crimson and cream, they have twice now been quite cordial. And, they seem to be very happy in the Big 12 and really make us feel welcome.

We were not sitting in the visitor section and were therefore surrounded by WVU fans, so we had a chance to chat with them during the game. One did say that he went to the game in Norman last year, and other than complaining about the September heat (yup... Morgantown is mountain country, after all... temp was in the low 70s last night - so nice...), he had great things to say about his visit. I do hope that continues to be the case when WVU visits OU, b/c they have been nothing but nice to us.

And, side bar - WV is a short 4-hr drive from DC so I frequently make 1-2 camping trips out here during the summer/fall. The state and mountains are just captivating; it's beautiful camping country - and for a former herpetologist, a salamander-hunter's DREAM. Holy they are everywhere and the diversity is astounding. Still need to find that elusive hellbender though...

So, if there are any Mountaineers on this board who were at the game last night - thank you for making another visit very enjoyable.

Cheers
    Mike
    Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see - John Lennon

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Maybe they have to win to go into berserk fan mode. Like feeding gremlins after midnight.

I had a similar experience with ND. Couldn't believe how nice their fans were, given how some behave away from South Bend. Only met one prick the whole time. Glad you had a good time!
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Welcome to West Virginia. Thanks for coming.

My two years in Dallas (91-93) were insufferable when it came to Whorn fans but like I found living in Austin for nine years (03-12), the further Whorn fans get from Austin the worse they get. They were pretty easy going for the most part and had many offers to go to games and tailgates which I unfortunately never did. We had always planned to go to a Tech-UT game, the 20 years my wife lived in Austin she never made it to a Tech game there. I think the opposite happens to LSU fans, the further they live away from the swamp the more mellow they become. There are a lot of LSU people in Austin, maybe they just aren't as rabid.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Met a great guy from eastern Okla. that works in DC. He and his wife were OU Alumni. They rooted for my Grandson when he was kicking, but not the total score.
    Great people!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 HoserSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I will second that. I made the trip down from up north, and managed to find some fellow Sooners to tailgate with, but everywhere I went, I was greeted with the same comments as you experienced, and one of the times that I had a "F--- You" hurled at me, other WVU fans piped up and told him "That isn't how we treat people at West Virginia!".

Will certainly go back to Morgantown next time around.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by papawlambert View Post
    Met a great guy from eastern Okla. that works in DC. He and his wife were OU Alumni. They rooted for my Grandson when he was kicking, but not the total score.
    Great people!
    Nice 54 yarder! I was a little surprised they took that shot!
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I'd like to second, almost verbatim, the OP's post--except the camping and herpetology parts We even had a group of heavily inebriated students walk up behind us and start a very spirited but friendly conversation, concluding with welcoming us. More than I can count were fans asking us if we're being treated well and more than a few expressing how happy they were to be in the XII. I thought maybe we were being asked about being treated well because it was my wife and 9- and 12-year-old sons, and many of the fans spoke directly to my youngest son. But based on DCsooner22's recount, it looks like it was just the general atmosphere. I'd say we had 5-6 far-off "F the Sooners" and "OU SUCKS" comments, and while it freaked my 12-yr-old out a bit it was really nothing and nobody was confrontational.

Considering the number of horror stories I'd read about fan treatment in Morgantown, I was astonished--both in '12 and this year--how incredibly fun and friendly the atmosphere was. If you get a chance to go to a game there, be sure and take it. Tremendous atmosphere and very kid friendly.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner24's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by DCsooner22 View Post
    A short, four hour drive from DC, last night was my second time in Morgantown - girlfriend and I went to the nail biter game two years ago as well - and I just want to say that WVU fans are absolutely wonderful hosts. Both games in Morgantown, where OU has come away with a victory mind you, the two most common things we heard were, "Welcome to West Virginia!" and "Thank you for coming."

Now, after years - and years - of dealing with burnt orange, other variant of puke-poke orange and still having nightmarish flashbacks of "Tigah Bait" and being spit on in New Orleans (those of you there remember, I know), I'm usually on alert, aware of those who are looking to harass, haze and/or just make miserable. So, my default setting is to take statements like those coming from the WVU fans with a grain of salt.

But, now after visiting WVU a second time last night, I really have to give it up to the WVU fans. So very nice, and so very respectful. They are genuinely thrilled to be in the Big 12 (even though they lost their rivalry with Pitt, who, as best I can gather, was their [vomit] Texas [/vomit]). However, they spared no chance to ask us if we were enjoying our time in WVU, wished us good luck before the game, were complimentary at halftime when the game was tied and really, sincerely, wanted to thank us for visiting.

What I found even more interesting was that I was asked several times if we were being treated well by the other fans there. All I had to say was good things about how we were received. Of course, EVERY fan base at ANY game is going to have it's share of, "________ team sucks!" or distant cries of "F-U Oklahoma," especially if any alcohol is present. But we all know that happens everywhere and is no big deal. Twice now I have been and have NEVER had a single experience of someone running up and jumping in front of my face and telling me to, "Go the F home! Get the hell out of our state!" (I'm looking at you LSU...).

I know WVU has had their share of headline-making couch burnings - and maybe it would be different if I had been sporting a Pitt shirt - but to a couple of Sooner fans clad in crimson and cream, they have twice now been quite cordial. And, they seem to be very happy in the Big 12 and really make us feel welcome.

We were not sitting in the visitor section and were therefore surrounded by WVU fans, so we had a chance to chat with them during the game. One did say that he went to the game in Norman last year, and other than complaining about the September heat (yup... Morgantown is mountain country, after all... temp was in the low 70s last night - so nice...), he had great things to say about his visit. I do hope that continues to be the case when WVU visits OU, b/c they have been nothing but nice to us.

And, side bar - WV is a short 4-hr drive from DC so I frequently make 1-2 camping trips out here during the summer/fall. The state and mountains are just captivating; it's beautiful camping country - and for a former herpetologist, a salamander-hunter's DREAM. Holy they are everywhere and the diversity is astounding. Still need to find that elusive hellbender though...

So, if there are any Mountaineers on this board who were at the game last night - thank you for making another visit very enjoyable.

Cheers
    Mike
    You forgot "Eat sh!t Pitt".
    Sooner Legends Inn & Suites

Voted #1 Hotel in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #2 Overall Restaurant in Norman, OK - 2009
    Voted #1 Catering in Norman, OK - 2009

1 Corinthians 1:18---For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

We came. We saw. We conquered.
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

WVU is like the pet you adopted. It knows that you rescued it, so it's going to act nicely

Poor WVU nearly got stuck in Big East/American Athletic Conference purgatory.