Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Sanchez....selfish or gutty performance..?

On the last drive for the late TD...his arm/shoulder was obviously totally bad...but he stayed in...actually not helping much. On top of it, the game was basically over.

Coaches can't see this from the press box? hell, I hope they have a TV and have one assistant coach watching it for reviews or anything else....maybe they aren't allowed a TV...anyways, Sanchez should have come out, at least to reduce risk of further injury.

Not bitching...just curious if others thought the same thing.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Sanchez....selfish or gutty performance..?

Isn't it someone's responsibility to call him off the field? Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but don't they always say the best players want to be in every play? I imagine he wanted to redeem himself after getting burned so many times tonight. Hard to say for sure though. Maybe one of our resident coaches can weigh in on it?
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Isn't it someone's responsibility to call him off the field? Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but don't they always say the best players want to be in every play? I imagine he wanted to redeem himself after getting burned so many times tonight. Hard to say for sure though. Maybe one of our resident coaches can weigh in on it?
    lol..I really wanted to say that but left it out...he had a tough assignment..got burned twice for sure. That last "try" at a tackle was a joke, along with his..."I'll get in the way" on the last TD run. Love the kid, but for his FUTURE he needed to be out. I agree, I'd think the coached would have pulled him if they knew, but I also know most athletes know when something is wrong and take themselves out for their own safety...hence my title.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Mike has always had a tendency to run defensive backs into the ground. Its why practically every DB he's ever had at OU has had to have offseason shoulder surgery. That hanging arm look isn't any different that Brandon Everage or Derrick Strait or Marcus Walker. Its like he instills in them that they if they ever ask to come off the field, he isn't going to let them back on.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Agree that's on the coaches. And doesn't the trainer have any input on something like this? That Kevin White is a load to tackle for Sanchez even if his shoulder is healthy. I don't believe for a second Sanchez is really 180lbs. I have a bad feeling that the bye week will not be nearly enough time for him to be healthy.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

After the Mountaineer's last TD Sanchez was still out there flying, trying to block that PAT.

He came close.

I hope he gets some needed rest and therapy. He'll be needed come Baylor.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 oupride's Avatar
    vCash

good point..

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Mike has always had a tendency to run defensive backs into the ground. Its why practically every DB he's ever had at OU has had to have offseason shoulder surgery. That hanging arm look isn't any different that Brandon Everage or Derrick Strait or Marcus Walker. Its like he instills in them that they if they ever ask to come off the field, he isn't going to let them back on.
    You are throwing out some pretty serious charges with this post. You have listed 3 DBS out of the 30 or so different DBS that have played significant minutes for OU under MS.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

He wanted to stay out there. It's gutsy ... If you've never played in hs or college you won't understand. It's far from selfish.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

100% on the coaches...
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    He wanted to stay out there. It's gutsy ... If you've never played in hs or college you won't understand. It's far from selfish.
    He got burned a few times but played with a lot of courage...Zach's got true grit.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    never played hs or college, don't think you have to to understand the competitive desire, ask my GF or any guys I've ever played rec ball with...but I definitely understand. I've coached HS bball, and my son in baseball from kindergarten to post HS club team. I also understand that a players health and future (a shot at making a living playing) is on the coaches....but I would Sanchez himself would see that as well.

Guess I see guys pull themselves out all the time after they are hurt all the time. Athlete know when they can't perform at 100%, so then it becomes a question of what is best for the team.

I think he is a stud, and support him....I do think he wanted "redemption" after being burned a few times early. But those that last drive he should have been out.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Why would you have someone in the game that was hurt that bad ?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash
    I'm sure the thought process is hanging, but I had a coach that was Bear Bryant disciple. He was a horrible human being, frankly. He instilled in his players a foolish toughness. If I could play, I did. I played with concussions, broken bones, stitches, illness. It didn't matter. The question was "are you hurt or injured?!"

If you were coached that way, you just said it was a stinger and kept playing as hard as you could. I'm sure that motif still lingers.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.
    Posted from iOS app

Oh wow! Oh wow! Oh wow!

vCash

Yeah I had are-you-hurt-or-injured type coaches when I was playing HS ball. Made for some ridiculous situations frankly. This is a part of the football coaching culture that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't really changed that much in the last few decades, and probably won't change for a long time to come.

vCash

With the exception of that 68 yarder in the 2nd, I think Sanchez played very well. Even with that 68 yarder, White had a pretty average day. Literally. He had 143 yards against Alabama and 216 against Maryland, and 10 catches was slightly below his average. Not too bad considering he's playing hurt. White is probably going to be an All-American, and Shepard doesn't stand much of a chance right now at being 1st team all-conference.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouflak View Post
    Yeah I had are-you-hurt-or-injured type coaches when I was playing HS ball. Made for some ridiculous situations frankly. This is a part of the football coaching culture that, as far as I'm aware, hasn't really changed that much in the last few decades, and probably won't change for a long time to come.
    It depends a lot on the coach, but yeah, if your star player comes hobbling off the field, he's probably going to go hobbling back on the field a few plays later. I know of some coaches out there that beg you not to go to a doctor unless you absolutely have to, because if they get a doctor's note, they can't legally play you. That said, I think mild improvements have been made in most areas. Thankfully, major steps forward have been taken as far as concussions and hydration.

Sooner Starter NorthernIowaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

On Sanchez's side he showed some guts, he tried to stay out there when he was clearly not at his best. I also give him some props for not retaliating when #11 was running his mouth to him all night (although Striker probably shut his mouth with the hit he delivered). You can't expect him to ask out of the game.

On the coaches side I think they whiffed on this. They needed to get him out. He was playing way off the line so he didn't get beat deep, then kept getting beat deep. He was allowing short passes to be easy completions because of this as well. He couldn't tackle and refused to wrap up. He dove at ankles all night. He could barely lift his arm in the second half and was going to be abused like he was by any offensive coach worth his weight. If your DB is struggling to cover AND tackle someone then you need to change something. They never doubled up or removed Sanchez. At some point there had to have been someone that could've come in and covered #11 or been able to make tackles on short passes.

I don't blame Sanchez for wanting to stay in but one of the coaches needed to step up and realize he wasn't helping today and he's more important to have healthy long-term.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 freshchris05's Avatar
    vCash

Thought this was a TMZ headline...
    "This whole world is 3 drinks behind..."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Are you implying Sanchez is dirty?

Like a rusty trombone ?

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!