Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Perine appreciation thread

Originally Posted by KantoSooner
    I don't get why praise for one somehow diminishes the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    When your praise is, "Perine had a great game! I'm excited to see what he does in the future," it doesn't.

However, when your praise is, "Perine had such a great game that Mixon might as well just leave," that does.
    RUT ROH! somebody here is going to be reported to coach Bobby.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I remember Brennan Clay getting 30+ carries against KSU. By that last series, he was barely getting to the LOS he was so gassed. Of course he was at least 35lbs lighter than Perine and the O-line wasn't opening many holes by then; Clay was getting the tar knock out him on that final series.
    Clay did have over 30 carries that game, but that was after Williams was off of the team. I think that's the only way we'll see a 30+ carry game from any of our guys...if we are only rotating 2 backs.

I think he will get his share of carries now.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouhomer123 View Post
    I think he will get his share of carries now.
    He was getting his share prior to WVU, he just caught fire and the coaches kept feeding him. I suspect that'll be the case again, and probably for all three of our guys.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Clay did have over 30 carries that game, but that was after Williams was off of the team. I think that's the only way we'll see a 30+ carry game from any of our guys...if we are only rotating 2 backs.
    I realize that. I think both instances showed that Gundy is hesitant to play inexperienced backs and he will keep a back in there if he is having a special game. In Clay's case, they were trying to get him the 200 yards for that game, but he kept getting stopped for no gain or losing 1. I think he finally got exactly 200. In Perine case, Ross was available of course, but Perine was having what could easily be a career night. And he was doing a great job of draining the clock too. I was hoping Brooks might see a few carries, but wasn't really the right situation for a scat back at the end.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

There was a good article in the Austin American Statesman today by Berry Tramel of the Daily Oklahoman:
    http://newsok.com/sooners-baby-bull-...stom_click=rss

He mentioned that Perine's 242 yards was more than Alabama's duo of Yeldon and Henry's 239 combined yards against the same team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 dwarthog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    There was a good article in the Austin American Statesman today by Berry Tramel of the Daily Oklahoman:
    http://newsok.com/sooners-baby-bull-...stom_click=rss

He mentioned that Perine's 242 yards was more than Alabama's duo of Yeldon and Henry's 239 combined yards against the same team.
    Nice article. Thanks for posting it up.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    When your praise is, "Perine had a great game! I'm excited to see what he does in the future," it doesn't.

However, when your praise is, "Perine had such a great game that Mixon might as well just leave," that does.
    And the latter is part of the overall negativity among some on this board that baffles me. It's sometimes sold as 'realism' and an antidote to 'koolade' but to me it comes off as an attempt passive aggressively assert superiority through rote contrarianism.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    And the latter is part of the overall negativity among some on this board that baffles me. It's sometimes sold as 'realism' and an antidote to 'koolade' but to me it comes off as an attempt passive aggressively assert superiority through rote contrarianism.
    I think most of this stems from a certain few who read half a post and then overreach in their attempt to provide a contrary argument. For whatever reason, people like to argue on the Internet. Of the Mixon comments I saw about letting him go, at least 2 were clearly facetious. And besides that, I don't think the opinions on Mixon are because we don't want his talent here so much as thinking that we'll be okay if the publicity mob forces the team to take a harsher action on him...like cutting him altogether.

It would be nice if people were more circumspect - but that's a hefty expectation to levy on a forum full of sports fanatics.

vCash

We could try alcohol to calm everyone down a bit.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

We could try alcohol to calm everyone down a bit.
    LOL, speaking of which, saw this just a bit ago: Dad forces 15-year-old son to play drinking game during OU vs. Tennessee

Yikes.

vCash

First we're not allowed to switch our kids anymore.
    Now we can't force them to drink 'til they puke when we catch 'em sneaking alcohol.
    For all I know, you're not going to be allowed to force your kids to eat the rest of the pack when you catch 'em smoking.
    Is there going to be any traditional child rearing technique left?
    Thanks Obama.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

First we're not allowed to switch our kids anymore.
    Now we can't force them to drink 'til they puke when we catch 'em sneaking alcohol.
    For all I know, you're not going to be allowed to force your kids to eat the rest of the pack when you catch 'em smoking.
    Is there going to be any traditional child rearing technique left?
    Thanks Obama.
    Yeah...well, I generally avoid topics like this. I just thought the headline was funny.

I know people like to load up on Obama, but this has nothing to do with national politics. It has everything to do with the instantaneous nature of news. The problem is that while traditional child rearing works in general, the problem is when parents go too far. I can't say for sure that this guy went too far, but the fact that the kid was unresponsive and had to be taken to the hospital gives the impression that he did. And AD switching the kid's nuts and drawing blood, that's too far. But because every idiot gets immediate updates on their phones, they're instant reaction is form a quick sweeping opinion about every parent that spanks while they're taking a dump. And because most people refuse to admit that they're ever wrong, once the opinion is out there, they HAVE to defend it at all costs. (You see that a lot around these forums, too)

The issue is escalated in an era where there is little to no privacy. With AD, the issue SHOULD be dealt with...but by the local law enforcement, doctors, etc. And since he's a public figure, it creates a public outcry that draws in millions of people, each with their own ridiculous, unsubstantiated, knee-jerk opinions. So the people that go too far ruin it for other parents because the poorly informed public at large assumes that every parent that administers physical discipline goes too far. But that's no different than any other area of life these days. Unfortunately, the people that are given the most voice are the people that lean toward sensationalist, extreme opinions. So anytime anyone does something stupid, it's going to ruin things for anyone that's remotely reasonable.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

"Thanks, Obama" is a meme.

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    LOL, gotcha. I didn't know that. I stay as far away from political opinions as I can, so sometimes I'm oblivious to stuff like that. I pick up things here and there - like I know that this board is largely conservative, and I know that conservatives generally hate Obama. But beyond that, I'm clueless about politics. And I plan to keep it that way. LOL

vCash

Sorry, didn't mean to disturb.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    LOL, speaking of which, saw this just a bit ago: Dad forces 15-year-old son to play drinking game during OU vs. Tennessee

Yikes.
    I guess it's never too early to teach our youth the importance of handling your booze and building an immunity to alcohol poisoning. Kudos Mr Tennessee man for exposing responsible adults and their shortcomings.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    I'm clueless about politics. And I plan to keep it that way. LOL
    Please never vote.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    Please never vote.
    Don't plan to.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I realize that. I think both instances showed that Gundy is hesitant to play inexperienced backs and he will keep a back in there if he is having a special game. In Clay's case, they were trying to get him the 200 yards for that game, but he kept getting stopped for no gain or losing 1. I think he finally got exactly 200. In Perine case, Ross was available of course, but Perine was having what could easily be a career night. And he was doing a great job of draining the clock too. I was hoping Brooks might see a few carries, but wasn't really the right situation for a scat back at the end.
    You only realized it after I pointed it out! (I keed, I keed ).

I didn't even think about Brooks getting in there, but I think you're right. Also, the last time we had a back go for 250+ was Murray, and it was within reach for Perine. What good problems to have...