Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Perine appreciation thread

I'm sold...I'm a believer. Tonka can be special when it's all said and done, but we also need a healthy Keith Ford for the rest of the conference run. And how 'bout Alex Ross on that kick return, what a game changer that was!
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash
    Great game last night, but I think Ford could've run for 300+ with some of those holes. He doesn't run over folks like Perine, but he could've had a couple breakaways last night
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

That OL deserves an incredible amount of praise for the running lanes they were opening up. Perine was great, but the OL made him look a lot better.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Cale Gundy is the recruiter for running backs. I hope OU shows him a lot of love and bonuses for the GREAT job he does with them. Perine is a delight to watch, and his interview was very good. They say he is the strongest in the weight room. The WHOLE team was marvelous Saturday night.

vCash

I suggested Ford/Perine are going to form a 1-2 punch of "thunder and bigger-*** thunder".

Someone followed with "thunder and earthquake". I think that's a winner.

I love both Perine and Ford. I can't wait to see what those 2 do collectively to whorn.

vCash

I saw him play a game in high school. I was excited to see him because I knew we had signed him. I was disappointed after that game. I was expecting to see a "man amongst boys" type performance. But it wasn't. Man oh man, have my expectations changed now. Sooooo much fun.
    Which year will he win the Heisman? (too soon? )

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

It's probably too late, but we could call him 'Shango' (the Yoruba god of thunder).
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Love Perine! As stated a couple of weeks ago, with Perine on board, it doesn't matter that Mixon is benched. Revised that now to Mixon is free to transfer if he expects to be the feature back.

Few players these days look like throw backs to me. But, this kid Perine, he looks like a man among boys the way Herschel Walker, Bo Jackson, and Earl Campbell did back in day. And, recently, Ricky Williams.

He's got the build, for sure, like all of those guys. Power. And, he even has some moves for a kid his size; although, he won't need them much - still nice to know he has them.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Watched the game again, as well as the highlight reel posted on YouTube. Very impressed by his feet and vision. He can cut laterally as well as anybody. He doesn't have a lot of speed, but is tough to bring down. If anything, he reminds me of Jerome Bettis.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

ROBERT NEWHOUSE

The burly running back was drafted by the Cowboys in 1972 out of the University of Houston, where he ran for 1,757 yards as a senior, a school record that still stands.

Newhouse ran for 4,784 yards in his career with Dallas. He retired in 1983 after playing in three Super Bowls with some of the Cowboys greatest teams, including the 1976 NFL champions.

In the 1977 Super Bowl victory against Denver, Newhouse threw a 29-yard touchdown pass to Golden Richards on a halfback option to help seal the win.

Newhouse was born in Longview and went to Galilee High School in Hallsville before enrolling at Houston. All three Cougars teams he played on finished the season ranked in The Associated Press Top 20.

He was taken in the second round of the draft by Dallas. He led the Cowboys in rushing in 1975 with 930 yards, but became most well known as a fullback leading the way for future Hall of Famer Tony Dorsett, who Dallas drafted in 1977.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

Did the first guy to touch him ever tackle him?

Ever?

It seemed to me he was always demolishing the first man in his way.

He is impressive. And then when I saw him Stoops' show with Deano, I was more impressed. Articulate. Humble. That kid should be 1st string.

As as aside, it makes me think "Mixon who?"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Superlatives come easy when describing Perine.

I love his quickness for such a big back, his ability to change holes/direction so fast.

I love that he brings contact. The O-Line is opening holes so that the first person to often touch him is a smaller safety/DB. I love to hear that crunching noise.

Probably the most I love is the kid's balance. He so good at staying on his feet after contact, using his pads and keeping tacklers away from his lower legs.

"Bob Stoops went out and got him one"

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

vCash

5-0 you are exactly right about his balance. And I think that with greater experience the balance will, if anything, improve.

Buckle up, this ride's about to get fun.

vCash

Perine did get stopped cold a few times when there was no hole and he was met by a D-lineman (or 2). But if there was a real crease, he got contacted by guys that were his size or smaller and he had momentum by then. At that point, physics was wearing the alternate uniforms.

Teams will have to change their approach going forward and I suspect we won't see numbers like this going forward. But he's the real deal and if we can get a defense a little weary in the 2nd half, this is the medicine they'll be taking.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    physics was wearing the alternate uniforms...
    haha
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Perine did get stopped cold a few times when there was no hole and he was met by a D-lineman (or 2). But if there was a real crease, he got contacted by guys that were his size or smaller and he had momentum by then. At that point, physics was wearing the alternate uniforms.

Teams will have to change their approach going forward and I suspect we won't see numbers like this going forward. But he's the real deal and if we can get a defense a little weary in the 2nd half, this is the medicine they'll be taking.
    He mainly got stopped on short yardage plays. It is kind of counter-intuitive with his running style, but he just doesn't have that knack for finding the little creases to fall forward into like Brown did last year. As a matter of a fact, I think our best short yardage back is Ford and I wouldn't be surprised to see him break a long TD run on a 3rd/4th and 1 this year. Ross on the other hand, seems to be the best on 3rd/4th and long (11+) since he is so versatile out of the backfield.

I totally agree about the wearing out the D part. I'm not the biggest fan of huge OL and huge RBs but WVU was exhausted by the 3rd quarter and were actively trying to avoid the blunt force trauma of Perine by the 4th.

vCash

Then we'll just burn them down field. If only we had somebody that could catch a ball.

Oh wait.

We do.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    I totally agree about the wearing out the D part. I'm not the biggest fan of huge OL and huge RBs but WVU was exhausted by the 3rd quarter and were actively trying to avoid the blunt force trauma of Perine by the 4th.
    I was more referring to the D-Linemen being tired and taking a bit longer to get off blocks. That led to running lanes and no one bigger than Perine left to make the tackle. But yeah, you could tell the back 7 were not eager to get their noses in there once they had been run over a couple of times. I would expect teams with a 4-3 scheme to hold up better, but that should open up the passing game a bit.

vCash

When this team is hitting on all cylinders, it's getting real close to 'choose your poison'.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    When this team is hitting on all cylinders, it's getting real close to 'choose your poison'.
    As it should be. Just need a WR or 2 to have that ah-ha! moment.