Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: FSU"s Winston out for the first half

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Well, I consulted my nephew who attends FSU. According to him, Jameis is a great guy, totally misunderstood and as innocent as the day is long.
    I would expect a downtown Tulsa homeless man to be shouting at passers by about kitty cats effing people up, not the reigning Heisman Trophy winner on the reigning national championship team.

Foreshadowing into Jameis' future? Don't ask me for money, I don't carry cash

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    I've always thought it was dumb to give it to a freshman. I'm putting my crimson shades just half on, cuz i think Peterson was the only freshman who really deserved it at that point. Besides that I think the heisman should be more of a career type award, and of course not given to morons like johnny and winston. I felt like Te'o and Klein both specifically embodied what that award should be about, being very valuable to your teams success over time, I guess more like that. Too bad it's more just a popularity contest.
    I'm with you. There's no question the way the voters select a winner has changed a ton over the past few decades, but I really do believe there's a reason no freshman had won the award prior to Manziel. Although he was an exceptional college QB, and fun to watch, I think the media (ESPN especially) really pimped him...that's something that is a relatively new phenomena. There have always been Heisman campaigns, but it's at a different level these days. I also agree that Peterson was deserving, and I felt like (at the time) he finished second because he was a freshman.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The Heisman has really been wasted lately on less prestigious talent that just doesn't translate well to the NFL. If the media should be hyping anyone, how about defensive players?

As for AD winning the Heisman, he likely split regional votes with Jason White the year he came in second.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Therealsouthsider View Post
    ...right out of the Tom Osborne book of winning football at any cost

ss
    no chit
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I'm with you. There's no question the way the voters select a winner has changed a ton over the past few decades, but I really do believe there's a reason no freshman had won the award prior to Manziel. Although he was an exceptional college QB, and fun to watch, I think the media (ESPN especially) really pimped him...that's something that is a relatively new phenomena. There have always been Heisman campaigns, but it's at a different level these days. I also agree that Peterson was deserving, and I felt like (at the time) he finished second because he was a freshman.
    Yup the media is really screwing up college football if you ask me. With the heisman and with the SEC nonsense. If you continually tell everyone in the nation who watches ESPN, especially naive high school recruits, that the sec is da bestttt high and above anyone else, then eventually they really will be because so many more of the recruits will go there because they buy into the crap. I mean it's annoying that I search for KState vs Auburn and ALL of the 1st page of google is auburn has to do this to win, auburn is blah-and blah on the road against top 20 teams, malzahn this, nick marshall that... Ughh
    Anyway don't want to get too off topic

With the heisman and Manziel the media definitely was controlling that race. If he can replicate what he did especially if he can improve it the next year, sure give him the heisman (like Bradford) but not after one year of good stats.

Administrator
    vCash

Yup the media is really screwing up college football if you ask me. With the heisman and with the SEC nonsense. If you continually tell everyone in the nation who watches ESPN, especially naive high school recruits, that the sec is da bestttt high and above anyone else, then eventually they really will be because so many more of the recruits will go there because they buy into the crap. I mean it's annoying that I search for KState vs Auburn and ALL of the 1st page of google is auburn has to do this to win, auburn is blah-and blah on the road against top 20 teams, malzahn this, nick marshall that... Ughh
    Anyway don't want to get too off topic

With the heisman and Manziel the media definitely was controlling that race. If he can replicate what he did especially if he can improve it the next year, sure give him the heisman (like Bradford) but not after one year of good stats.
    The recent "SEC is the best" atmosphere is a perfect example of the way media has changed the landscape. I don't think there's much question that Bama was among the top teams in college football recently, and it's fair to say the top teams in the SEC have been some of the best teams in the country...but, I think Stoops hit the nail on the head with his 'top to bottom' comments.

The SEC has been the same as every other conference over their 'period of dominance', they were just hyped more. ESPN knew exactly what they were doing in the runup to the SEC network. As much as I want there to be another option for sports programming, ESPN is still the king of the hill. Because of that, just about every fan still watches ESPN, and you're right...high school recruits only really know what they see/hear on ESPN. It's maddening.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    The Heisman has really been wasted lately on less prestigious talent that just doesn't translate well to the NFL. If the media should be hyping anyone, how about defensive players?

As for AD winning the Heisman, he likely split regional votes with Jason White the year he came in second.
    There's no question that votes were split between he and White, but I believe had AD not been a freshman, many of those votes that went to White would have gone to him.

Oh well, can't cry over spilled milk...unless you're on a message board!

vCash

I always wonder if AD would stay for his senior year if he had to do it over again. He is not afraid to take on bold challenges like saying he will carry the team or target 2500 yards as his NFL goal. I'm sure he really wanted to win the Heisman and was arguably the best player in the nation all 3 years. He was a true freshman and that rule has yet to broken and he was injured the other 2 years. He was well on his way to the trophy his Jr year when he broke the collar bone. If he had stayed in '07, I guarantee we don't choke that game in Boulder just on his talent alone. And that game in Lubbock is different because Patrick Allen doesn't fumble that first handoff that got Bradford concussed. A great What if? story…

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I always wonder if AD would stay for his senior year if he had to do it over again. He is not afraid to take on bold challenges like saying he will carry the team or target 2500 yards as his NFL goal. I'm sure he really wanted to win the Heisman and was arguably the best player in the nation all 3 years. He was a true freshman and that rule has yet to broken and he was injured the other 2 years. He was well on his way to the trophy his Jr year when he broke the collar bone. If he had stayed in '07, I guarantee we don't choke that game in Boulder just on his talent alone. And that game in Lubbock is different because Patrick Allen doesn't fumble that first handoff that got Bradford concussed. A great What if? story…
    Oh wow if we would have had him in 07... They might haven given the trophy to him and Bradford both in the same year

vCash

Oh wow if we would have had him in 07... They might haven given the trophy to him and Bradford both in the same year
    That was Bradford's freshman year where he broke the freshman TD record, but did not garner any Heisman votes. But that team was solid with a very good defense and would have been NC title level good with a healthy AD. Heisman in '07 and '08 would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    That was Bradford's freshman year where he broke the freshman TD record, but did not garner any Heisman votes. But that team was solid with a very good defense and would have been NC title level good with a healthy AD. Heisman in '07 and '08 would have been nice.
    Oh I know which year it was but Bradford still had a monster year breaking records as you said. I was just joking because with AD back there more teams would have come up for the run and who knows Bradford could have had arguably just as well if not better Avg per completion and completion % of his Heisman year

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The recent "SEC is the best" atmosphere is a perfect example of the way media has changed the landscape. I don't think there's much question that Bama was among the top teams in college football recently, and it's fair to say the top teams in the SEC have been some of the best teams in the country...but, I think Stoops hit the nail on the head with his 'top to bottom' comments.

The SEC has been the same as every other conference over their 'period of dominance', they were just hyped more. ESPN knew exactly what they were doing in the runup to the SEC network. As much as I want there to be another option for sports programming, ESPN is still the king of the hill. Because of that, just about every fan still watches ESPN, and you're right...high school recruits only really know what they see/hear on ESPN. It's maddening.
    I'd say over most of those years, they were the best conference, mostly because the Big XII was down most of those years. But the SEC stuff reminds me of the NFC talk back when they won like a zillion straight Super Bowls. The NFC wasn't necessarily the best division, but they were usually churning out the best team and sometimes best two teams during that period of dominance.

The SEC talk will only get worse, especially now that they have 14 teams, which means more bowl eligibile teams.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

I would highly recommend Josef Goebbels' 'Propaganda'. Yes, he was an evil genius, but, in this instance, concentrate on the 'genius' part of the equation. To paraphrase him, "There are two forms of reality. The first is objective reality, it is testable by science and is immutable. The second is created in the minds of man. And, if you can create this reality in enough minds, it transits over into the objective sort."

Since college football is so heavily reliant on recruiting, the actions of the sporting press to depict an SEC upswing, of the sort that every conference enjoys over time, as a long term 'truth' has had an impact on recruiting which threatens to give reality to what started off as mere puffery.

We need our own propaganda machine.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nighttrain12's Avatar
    vCash

BOOMER ......... SOONER!
    AGGIES ......... SUCK!
    ... and the home, of the, SOONERS!
    THUNDER THE F&*K UP!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

How long was he suspended for the rape allegations?
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    None . But thats a different story
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

No we dont need a Machine that will help us.
    What we DO need is some Kids that want to be SOONERS!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Good, I hope FSU loses...
    He's got lots problems for a so called Heisman winner. Both him and Johnny ****ball shouldn't have got it.
    BOOMER SOONER
    and GEAUX SAINTS

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    In reality, this game is for the rape allegations. Had he not been so accused, I doubt this profanity incident would have drawn a suspension. It would have been dismissed as harmless mocking of an internet meme.

vCash

maybe this is more about the crab legs.

at least it's easier to prove that he did that...