Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Welp, alternate unis will make their debut Saturday night

I thought they looked great. All the rest of the family agreed. Still a fan of the traditional unis.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash
    Yeah. Honestly, I'm not a fan of alternate unis but they looked better than I thought they would
    Posted from iOS app

I enjoyed the unis.

Pros: actually crimson and cream. unique number font. Oklahoma on front. some historical acknowledgement of Oklahoma traditions (the state). developed with player input. I do like the big OU on the helmet. Didn't think I would.

Cons: stripes on the sides of the pants look truncated and out of place. Not a huge fan of helmet shininess.

I bet an "all cream" look, including the helmet, would look fantastic. I hope we also get to see an "all crimson" look but with the cream helmet.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Those jerseys were pretty sweet. I'll be pissed if we use the home alternates, but there really isn't anything that special about our all-whites.

vCash

The stripes on the pants were awful.

vCash

I don't understand why a team like OU, steeped in tradition, needs to do this sort of thing. I think I read somewhere before that the OU helmet is one of the most recognized things in sports. Let the johnny come latelys like Oregon do this monkeying around with uniforms to get recruits. We shouldn't have to. I think tradition would go along way with recruits.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerwake's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BigTip View Post
    I don't understand why a team like OU, steeped in tradition, needs to do this sort of thing. I think I read somewhere before that the OU helmet is one of the most recognized things in sports. Let the johnny come latelys like Oregon do this monkeying around with uniforms to get recruits. We shouldn't have to. I think tradition would go along way with recruits.
    I agree and disagree. As long as it's done sparingly, and not every week I'm OK with it.

And, I think our road white are the best looking uniform in the entire country. I would rather us do this "alternate" stuff at home and not on the road.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It is a society thing. Adults trying to get a child's approval!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    I thought I was watching Indiana play wvu. You don't mess with tradition!
    I saw a similar comment on a WVU board. I don't get it. Indiana's uniforms look almost identical to our normal uniforms. I'm not sure how the alternate uniforms would remind anyone of Indiana more than our traditional uniforms.

By the way, Indiana's uniforms have not always looked so similar to our's. I'm convinced they changed them a few years ago to piggy back on our tradition.

Edit: I see Indiana has had some crazy alternate uniforms. Maybe that was the point...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Flagstaffsooner View Post
    Red pants have to go! Nebraska, nuff said.
    Players wanting red pants is nothing new. When I was in school in the early '90s there was a push by players to have red pants. As much as I hate to admit it that was a generation ago...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

I just watched the game again, and I still do not like the new unis. The double stripe down the leg, the wood print on the shoulders and helmets, UGH! BUT I LOVED THE ENERGY OF THE TEAM!!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i thought they looked like the baseball home unis. didn't love them, but better than the Nike Combat garbage. sort of.

not seeing the white facemask was strange.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

The team looked good in victory; much better than those past alternate uni defeats.

I loved the chrome facemasks. I could do without the armpit spikes.

Administrator
    vCash

I was not a fan of those alts going into the game, and the first 5 or 10 minutes felt really strange (almost like I wasn't watching my team play). After a while, that became a non-issue and I actually started to like them. By the end of the game, I really liked them. So, for me anyway, seeing them on the field made a big difference in how I feel/felt.

AGAIN, FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT UNDERSTAND THE REASONING BEHIND THESE UNIFORMS: It's two fold:

1. Money - everyone likes money, and with a new uniform comes the ability to sell more merchandise. That's not a new formula.

2. (more importantly) - Recruiting. Whether you like it, or not, the younger generation likes alternate uniforms. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. It creates energy/excitement among recruits and players alike. If you have any doubt in what I'm saying, go back and re-watch the unveiling video.

Quote Originally Posted by Pride1Mom
    It is a society thing. Adults trying to get a child's approval!

It's about getting approval/interest from 17/18 year old recruits. If you are interested in OU continuing to bring in elite talent to preform on Saturday's, then you need to come to grips with why this was done. You don't have to like it, but you should at least understand the process.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    I saw a similar comment on a WVU board. I don't get it. Indiana's uniforms look almost identical to our normal uniforms. I'm not sure how the alternate uniforms would remind anyone of Indiana more than our traditional uniforms.

By the way, Indiana's uniforms have not always looked so similar to our's. I'm convinced they changed them a few years ago to piggy back on our tradition.

Edit: I see Indiana has had some crazy alternate uniforms. Maybe that was the point...

THANK YOU!

Indiana has been trying to look like OU for years. They changed a lot about their uniforms in the past few decades so that it would more closely resemble ours. Adidas went out of their way to provide a toned-down template for Indiana, when all of their other schools were being outfitted with 'new' looks.

Personally, I was happy to see Indiana's new alternate jerseys and helmets...not because I think they look good, but because it makes them look less like OU.