Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upset alert!!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Re: Upset alert!!

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Why do you equate upset alert to wanting us to lose? I interpret it as saying this is a tougher game than #4 vs unranked might indicate and I agree.
    We'll see how tough it is. That's why they play the game...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    We'll see how tough it is. That's why they play the game...
    Agreed, but doesn't answer my question. I didn't see this particular upset alert segment, but most the ones I see are just warning flags, not predictions. The exception was the USCe/UGA game last week where more than one person flat out predicted a USCe win. And I detected no connotation that they wanted UGA to lose.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Agreed, but doesn't answer my question. I didn't see this particular upset alert segment, but most the ones I see are just warning flags, not predictions. The exception was the USCe/UGA game last week where more than one person flat out predicted a USCe win. And I detected no connotation that they wanted UGA to lose.
    Ok, you win.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Personally, I feel we are on upset alert until we show some more offensive consistency. We just seem to be heavily reliant on the big play which tends to disappear on the road. Any time we've tried to grind it out down the field, we are getting stopped after 2-3 first downs.

Weird Stats

Number of Plays - OU 210 Opp 226
    Number of 3/Out - OU 9 Opp 18

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    Personally, I feel we are on upset alert until we show some more offensive consistency. We just seem to be heavily reliant on the big play which tends to disappear on the road. Any time we've tried to grind it out down the field, we are getting stopped after 2-3 first downs.

Weird Stats

Number of Plays - OU 210 Opp 226
    Number of 3/Out - OU 9 Opp 18
    Any theories on why the inconsistency? I guess an easy one is that all the RBs and all the WRs except Shepard are new. Also, TK just finished his 8th CFB start.

Another factor I didn't anticipate is that the O-line doesn't seem to be great at run blocking and we are trying to be a more run oriented offense. It has been pointed out that the O-line is very big and would be in the top 5 NFL O-line in total weight. That is usually associated with a good pass blocking team and not run blocking. I remember those late 90's Broncos teams with Terrell Davis running wild had one of the lightest O-lines in the league. But those guys were explosive and could really run on sweeps. Maybe irrelevant, but it's factoid that struck me.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Any theories on why the inconsistency? I guess an easy one is that all the RBs and all the WRs except Shepard are new. Also, TK just finished his 8th CFB start.

Another factor I didn't anticipate is that the O-line doesn't seem to be great at run blocking and we are trying to be a more run oriented offense. It has been pointed out that the O-line is very big and would be in the top 5 NFL O-line in total weight. That is usually associated with a good pass blocking team and not run blocking. I remember those late 90's Broncos teams with Terrell Davis running wild had one of the lightest O-lines in the league. But those guys were explosive and could really run on sweeps. Maybe irrelevant, but it's factoid that struck me.
    • Our guards aren't very good. Large guys seem to only try to block straight ahead instead of getting leverage on a side and pushing them towards the sidelines. The only guy who can "bull block" like that is Savage and he is a backup. Even with Nila back, he and Shead were getting stoned at the LOS. We finally started getting some push in the second half when they put in Savage but then he false started and killed a drive.
    • Our RBs are mismatched with our OL. Typically, you want smaller scat type backs with large OL because they get lost by the defense and then can cut past them.
    • Our RBs have shown some limited vision until Ford against Tennessee. Large OL make really weird creases with lots of cutback lanes. Ford hit 2 cutback lanes for about 10 a pop, but that has been it for the season.
    • I keep saying that Knight is Hybl 2.0. The offense under Hybl used to have this same feast or famine quality. Watch me hit this pinpoint over the shoulder throw 45 yards down field and then airmail a slant 5 yards behind the receiver.
    • Our go to 3rd down and long has always been the slant. Unfortunately, Knight isn't accurate with that throw. What we are missing is the 3 verticals with the tight end sitting down over the middle (which was a secondary 3rd down and long play for us under Bradford). I thought we might go to it after we'd used Bell in that 2 minute drill in the 1st half but nope.

Administrator
    vCash

Did the FSU/Clemson game just get a lot more interesting (with the 1st half suspension of Winston)?

I'm putting FSU on upset alert! Hell, I'm putting everyone on upset alert!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Hell, I'm putting everyone on upset alert!
    LOL

vCash

Did the FSU/Clemson game just get a lot more interesting (with the 1st half suspension of Winston)?

That's what I was thinking (the first sentence). If Clemson wasn't such a reliably chumpish team, I might even wager a few dollars. They were all over UGA in the 1st half of their game and then did absolutely nothing the 2nd half. USCe showed that Clemson should have been able to finish the job. I guess Winston gets to come in a be the hero after half even though Clemson would have folded anyway

vCash

Maybe we should have a meltdown alert so the fans feel involved.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Tee hee, if only Tennessee receivers caught those passed to the endzone instead of Zack Sanchez and Julian Wilson. Tee hee

Administrator
    vCash

That's what I was thinking (the first sentence). If Clemson wasn't such a reliably chumpish team, I might even wager a few dollars. They were all over UGA in the 1st half of their game and then did absolutely nothing the 2nd half. USCe showed that Clemson should have been able to finish the job. I guess Winston gets to come in a be the hero after half even though Clemson would have folded anyway
    Clemson will have to get up big on FSU in the first half, but I don't know if that's possible.

I'm still putting everyone on upset alert...

vCash

I'm getting upset already.

Administrator
    vCash

I'm getting upset already.
    See...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Clemson will have to get up big on FSU in the first half, but I don't know if that's possible.

Surrender is not a Ranger word

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Tee hee, if only Tennessee receivers caught those passed to the endzone instead of Zack Sanchez and Julian Wilson. Tee hee
    You know, in all seriousness, I thought Worley was the real deal. Took a lot of punishment and was making very good throws. His receivers dropped a ton of great passes. They make some of those catches and that game gets a lot more interesting.

Of course, we also left a ton of yards and points on that field, both in the run and passing games. We've got to be more consistent.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    You know, in all seriousness, I thought Worley was the real deal. Took a lot of punishment and was making very good throws. His receivers dropped a ton of great passes. They make some of those catches and that game gets a lot more interesting.

Of course, we also left a ton of yards and points on that field, both in the run and passing games. We've got to be more consistent.
    Agreed. He took an absolute beating and kept making plays.

Tennessee's punter was also really good last Saturday. I haven't seen it mentioned, but with the exception of the punt we gave back, he was booting the ball.

I really believe Tennessee will beat a team or two they're not supposed to beat this year.