Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

SEC has 7 of the Top 15 spots in polls

Why should I be surprised? The playoff is just scary rigged since preseason polls already proclaim greatness from the SEC. Blecch.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-football-poll

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: SEC has 7 of the Top 15 spots in polls

They go way up when they beat each other, and they don't go down when they lose. It's a joke. Meanwhile, OSU lost to the #1 team in the country by a measly 6 points, yet they couldn't even get into the top 25 until this week. WVU only lost to Alabama by 10, and they don't have a chance at top 25. South Carolina got throttled by A&M, yet they're #14. This is just a big circular load of crap. There better not be more than one SEC team in the playoffs.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

It is a load of crap, but let's not act like the Big XII is some kind of juggernaut this year or in most years recently. It is basically us, Baylor, and Okie State.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    It is a load of crap, but let's not act like the Big XII is some kind of juggernaut this year or in most years recently. It is basically us, Baylor, and Okie State.
    I think we've been pretty good in recent years. Maybe not so much this year, but we'll see. It's not about Big XII vs. SEC, though. This poll makes it look like the SEC could take on every other conference combined.

vCash

Of the 13 members of the selection committee, only 1 (Archie Manning) has obvious ties to the SEC. Big12 has Oliver Luck. Pac12 has Pat Haden and Condoleezza Rice. Perhaps it would be prudent to refrain from whining until the first committee rankings is released in late October. I suspect the politics in those meetings is going to be huge and I doubt they put a lot of weight into polls or ESPN commentary.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    K-State might slip up on some folks...(I know) ISU will hurt some
    unsuspecting ones, too,,,since they beat the Fighting Ferentzes...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 PalmBeachSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Well, the problem is someone has to take those spots. If not them then whom? I'm not sure I'd replace any of those teams with WVU or OSU at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason White's Third Knee View Post
    Why should I be surprised? The playoff is just scary rigged since preseason polls already proclaim greatness from the SEC. Blecch.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...-football-poll

http://espn.go.com/college-football/rankings/_/poll/1
    AP, and Coaches Poll will have no influence on the Playoff Committee poll that comes out in late October

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

It's a racket for sure, but as long as OU is #1 at the end of the season, I don't give a rat's @$$ where the SEC is currently ranked. Or the rest of the Big 12, for that matter.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by dennis580 View Post
    AP, and Coaches Poll will have no influence on the Playoff Committee poll that comes out in late October
    No doubt they will be considering a similar set of teams as a lot of shaking out will have happened by then. But even if the AP was *the* ranking for the playoff today, only 'Bama would be in. If an SEC lands in the dreaded #5 slot at season's end, I will point and laugh.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    No doubt they will be considering a similar set of teams as a lot of shaking out will have happened by then. But even if the AP was *the* ranking for the playoff today, only 'Bama would be in. If an SEC lands in the dreaded #5 slot at season's end, I will point and laugh.
    When the S.E.C.ond GEts the dreaded #5 spot is when the playoff expand to 8team. then when they get the 9th spot we go to 16

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Yes, someone has to take those spots. As long as opinions are the basis of polls, the teams with the best records in the conference with the best record will rank highest. Imagine if Domers, who have not conference ties, go 12-0. With their schedule they will get a bid. Similarly, if OU goes 12-0 we will be in the playoffs even though our strength of schedule is not great. The playoffs will not be decided before December.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Think about something. SEC brags about their difficult out of conference schedule but, to SEC folks...every other conference sucks.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WA. Sooner View Post
    When the S.E.C.ond GEts the dreaded #5 spot is when the playoff expand to 8team. then when they get the 9th spot we go to 16
    I'm honestly expecting this exact scenario to unfold.

This is such complete nonsense. Georgia and South Carolina and ESPECIALLY Ole Miss do not belong in the top 15. Ole Miss at 10? WOW.

The coaches poll has them slighty more accurate. Still overrated. However the coaches pole didn't make oregon jump us until they beat freakin wyoming... the weekend AFTER they beat a top 10 team? What the hell?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by WA. Sooner View Post
    I too believe it won't take long to get to 8 teams, but I'm not much into SEC conspiracy theories - it will be the money.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jason White's Third Knee's Avatar
    [loh-key-shuhn] noun-a place of settlement, activity, or residence: This town is a good location.
    vCash

The polls not having an influence is nonsense. They will have a huge influence. ESPN will have tons of sway as well. You end up with several 1 loss teams and the SEC will start getting multiple teams in. I am aware that the selection criteria is different, but the Bama LSU rematch was indicative of what we could see.
    I'm working up a Rondo thirst.

vCash

The polls not having an influence is nonsense. They will have a huge influence. ESPN will have tons of sway as well. You end up with several 1 loss teams and the SEC will start getting multiple teams in. I am aware that the selection criteria is different, but the Bama LSU rematch was indicative of what we could see.
    In the Bama/LSU rematch, the polls were part of the BCS formula. But I didn't think it was a travesty anyway. There is no such criteria for the selection committee at all. You think Pat Haden and Condi Rice will be swayed by ESPN to include more SEC teams? Haha, you've never been on a committee trying to hash out a decision with conflicting hidden agendas. My observation in the BCS era is that the human polls have been influenced by the BCS ranking more than the other way around. The polls would mostly fall inline with the BCS ranking once it was published in October. I would expect it to be more that way now that's there is no built-in feedback mechanism. It's going to be entertaining.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Then don't be a one loss team. Arguments about who is better can be settled on the field of play.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

They are just way too fast for most pollsters. Gotta rank 'em high.