SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Question Not an infraction but it sure looks questionable

Hundley injured his left elbow early in the first quarter of Saturday's game against Texas and was replaced by Neuheisel, the son of former UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel. And in three minutes left in the fourth quarter, Neuheisel tossed a 33-yard touchdown pass to Jordan Payton to give the No. 12 Bruins a 20-17 win over Texas.

Hundley's elbow was hurt on a QB run. As he fell to the ground on top of a Texas defender, his left elbow took the brunt of the impact as he braced himself with his left hand. He immediately jogged to the sidelines and was pushed down by coach Jim Mora for an injury timeout

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-...040347559.html

This is legal?

Follow the link to see video of it.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Not an infraction but it sure looks questionable

I see this all the time where a player is jogging off and then sits on the field. But it's usually from a verbal command from the coaches, not a physical push. I have seen the trainers come out do this - at the coaches command of course. I don't see this as a big deal, but Mora should just do this the "usual" way.

vCash

I can see why they wouldn't want players to jog to the sideline with an injury. The player may think it isn't as bad as it is and exacerbate the injury by moving.

From a health standpoint, it's probably better they sit on the field until a trainer can have a look at the injury.

vCash

However, with that comes the ethical responsibility to only do that when an injury may have taken place and not as an "time out" opportunity. There's a fine line there.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    However, with that comes the ethical responsibility to only do that when an injury may have taken place and not as an "time out" opportunity. There's a fine line there.
    I see enough to knows its not uncommon, but I haven't seen it to the point of being abused. It's certainly understandable in this case where a starting star QB goes down and the coach would like the backup to take a few snaps on the sideline and get a few seconds of instructions from the coaches before going in there and turning the ball over. But in this case, it would seem to be worth taking an actual TO.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I noticed that too. I didn't think instructing a player to sit is abnormal. It happens all the time. However, you shouldn't be pushing an already injured player down as you could easily make the injury worse.

Not a big deal but probably should be avoided.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I see enough to knows its not uncommon, but I haven't seen it to the point of being abused. It's certainly understandable in this case where a starting star QB goes down and the coach would like the backup to take a few snaps on the sideline and get a few seconds of instructions from the coaches before going in there and turning the ball over. But in this case, it would seem to be worth taking an actual TO.
    Last time I saw it being blatantly abused was a few years back when we were playing at College Station. I want to say it was Von Miller in 2010, but my memory is a bit fuzzy. Kept going down in the fourth quarter to counter our no-huddle and then he'd pop right back up and be in the next play. Did it several downs in a row.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

When Sanchez got the stinger last week, he was wandering around in pain with his harm hanging down. I noticed one of the other players walk past him and point to the ground, and he immediately laid down as if he was reminded to stay on the ground. I've heard in the past that players are told by coaches that if they are hurt, not to come to the sideline immediately but to lay down until staff gets to them. I don't think it's uncommon at all.
    Aries

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Aries View Post
    When Sanchez got the stinger last week, he was wandering around in pain with his harm hanging down. I noticed one of the other players walk past him and point to the ground, and he immediately laid down as if he was reminded to stay on the ground. I've heard in the past that players are told by coaches that if they are hurt, not to come to the sideline immediately but to lay down until staff gets to them. I don't think it's uncommon at all.
    Off topic, but Sanchez said he has a low grade sprain, not a stinger. This is important as he clearly wasn't 100% yet yesterday and since he tweaked it again, I suspect he won't be 100% next week either.

Sanchez did it last night too. He was walking to the sideline and a coach pointed at him and he sat down. Then someone came out to tend to him.