Thread: Boomer...

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Boomer...

Loved the dominant effort tonight on defense. The offense needs some fine-tuning. UT came hard after some kicks in the 2nd half and it seemed like we just ignored it...which led to the FG block. UT looked good in a lot of ways, yet we still shut them down pretty hard.

Only complaint? So...UT is freshmen-heavy, right? They have 3 on the OL, right? We were in the backfield all night, right? Not a single holding call? Not one. I'm not saying there wasn't holding. I'm saying there wasn't a single call. In fact, 5 penalties on the experienced and disciplined OU team and only 1 for the freshman-laden UT team? Hmmm...they really do play superior football in the SEC...especially behind an SEC officiating crew. Maybe they were trying to keep Worley from getting his head torn off? Who knows?

Ok, two complaints. The more I listen to SECSPN the more I liked the old days of commentary. Nothing specific, but I just get tired of hearing Fowler and Herbie talk. Dumb statement of the evening: "Was winning by 24 points good enough to keep OU in the discussion for elite teams?" I truly think I'm going to hate the CFB playoffs. All the constant discussions about "resume-building". Ugh, just play the games and sort it out at the end for god's sake.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Re: Boomer...

Mr. Gal and I started a drinking game about mid first quarter. Had to take a drink every time the commentators mentioned Tennessee's youth or especially uttered the words "true freshman." Luckily we had plenty of beer on hand.

The majority of the commentary I heard was about Tennessee and how they were scrappers yada yada yada, with a bone thrown to OU, particularly Striker and Knight, once in a while.

All the focus seemed to be on the SEC team regardless of who was actually dominating the game. Made me want to puke. Or maybe it just made me drink so much beer I wanted to puke. LOL

Edited to add: Just for clarification, I didn't actually puke.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

This game was the first game in a long time where I enjoyed watching the OU defense more than the offense. All the ways M. Stoops attacked was fascinating to watch and it seemed every player was ready to make a big play. The offense was pretty sharp in the first half and crisp on that first possession in the 3rd, then it was like a switch turned off. The most worrisome thing for me was how the O-line looked. Didn't seem to be creating many holes for the RBs and TK seemed to be rushed on many plays. I figure the young RBs and WRs will continue to improve. But the O-line is a veteran group that should be pretty polished now. Maybe I wasn't seeing what was happening and something else caused the offense to look sluggish.

Overall, a great win and plenty of things for the coaches to yell about next week.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    Mr. Gal and I started a drinking game about mid first quarter. Had to take a drink every time the commentators mentioned Tennessee's youth or especially uttered the words "true freshman." Luckily we had plenty of beer on hand.

The majority of the commentary I heard was about Tennessee and how they were scrappers yada yada yada, with a bone thrown to OU, particularly Striker and Knight, once in a while.

All the focus seemed to be on the SEC team regardless of who was actually dominating the game. Made me want to puke. Or maybe it just made me drink so much beer I wanted to puke. LOL

I thought Herbie was gushing about OU - mostly in the first half when there was a lot to gush about. It's easy to see why they talk Tennessee in the 2nd half as they had the ball most the time. Which did evoke a lot of comments about the OU defenders since they were out there a lot and making the big plays.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post

I would prefer Musberger's Mush to that Colorado Puff's constant SEC butt-kissing company-line drivel. Herby, for the most part, did his usual professional job, imo.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

SDSG, yeah, I agree. But I guess I'm so used to it by now, I just expect it. One of my favorite comments was from Herbie when we were up 27-7. He said, "This QB is growing up before our very eyes." Sound familiar? That's what he oozed on and on about in the Notre Dame game in 2012 with Everett Gholson as a freshman. The problem? Worley's a senior. It's literally like listening to his play-by-play during a video game sometimes. He just says the same crap over and over. And Worley did a bang-up job dodging all the holding calls and stepping up into the pocket to hit receivers that were well covered.

Boulder, agree 100% on the defense. The defense was phenomenal, and was a blast to watch. There were a few big plays given up, but both big plays happened with the UT OL latching on to a handful of jersey. And also agree on the offense, though I wasn't as upset about the OL. Most of the game the Vols were running 8 in the box, and we still gouged them. Ford is a MAN, I hope he's not hurt too bad. The thing that drove me batty was the dropped passes. But...you can't have everything. Still a fun game to watch (on mute).

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I would prefer Musberger's Mush to that Colorado Puff's constant SEC butt-kissing company-line drivel. Herby, for the most part, did his usual professional job, imo.
    Yeah, not impressed with Fowler. Herbie's not horrible, but I can't stand to listen to him anymore. He has about 10 or so generic observations that he spouts every game, so he's basically saying absolutely nothing. I've played NCAA 14, and heard all his repeatable rhetoric, so I don't really care to hear it in an actual game.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    Yeah, not impressed with Fowler. Herbie's not horrible, but I can't stand to listen to him anymore. He has about 10 or so generic observations that he spouts every game, so he's basically saying absolutely nothing. I've played NCAA 14, and heard all his repeatable rhetoric, so I don't really care to hear it in an actual game.
    I've always liked Herby because he usually brings a QBs perspective into the analysis. I guess I like him too, because he appears to be taking care of Corso on the GameDay set, kind of gently reminding him or leading him back on the path when he strays.
    I don't mind Fowler on tennis, but that's probably because he knows that McEnroe would go ballistic on him.

vCash

Bothsides NEED to mature. The O has great Promise as well as the D But BOTH made mistakes
    tonight
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

The team seems to lose focus at some point in the game. It's happened so far in all three games. The first two it wasn't bad because the games were already well out of hand. But to me it looked like they lost focus in the middle of the game tonight when Tennessee could have staged a rally.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    The team seems to lose focus at some point in the game. It's happened so far in all three games. The first two it wasn't bad because the games were already well out of hand. But to me it looked like they lost focus in the middle of the game tonight when Tennessee could have staged a rally.
    Yup, We won , But we won in a way that shows we Need to Improve .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

lookin forward to seeing the improvements ...
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 WA. Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Conditioning
    WWU ran 108 plays

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I've always liked Herby because he usually brings a QBs perspective into the analysis. I guess I like him too, because he appears to be taking care of Corso on the GameDay set, kind of gently reminding him or leading him back on the path when he strays.
    I don't mind Fowler on tennis, but that's probably because he knows that McEnroe would go ballistic on him.
    I guess. I don't watch Gameday anymore, so I don't know anything about that. I watch tennis some, but never really pay attention to any of the "analysis" on that. Like I said, he's not terrible, but too often he just says the same things over and over in game. And sometimes he does key on something interesting. But he beats it to death by the time the game is over, so it gets old.

As for Fowler - it seems his job in the game is to provide opportunities for Herbie to get his generic-ness in by asking incredibly dumb questions.

Either way, the game was fun to watch in spite of the commentary. I was hoping for a 48-0 beating, but this is about what I expected. Some great play on both sides, but some things to work on.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Fowler pissed me off twice yesterday by yammering about Bob Stoops' SEC remarks. He was just trying to start a controversy where none seriously existed. He did it first on Game Day then again last night during the game but Herby didn't bite.

Before the season started Herbstreit said that OU had no receivers and could be in "big trouble". Sure didn't hear that out of him last night - in fact there were times I thought he sounded borderline gushy. Go figure!
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Piware View Post
    Fowler pissed me off twice yesterday by yammering about Bob Stoops' SEC remarks. He was just trying to start a controversy where none seriously existed. He did it first on Game Day then again last night during the game but Herby didn't bite.

Before the season started Herbstreit said that OU had no receivers and could be in "big trouble". Sure didn't hear that out of him last night - in fact there were times I thought he sounded borderline gushy. Go figure!
    After watching some of the games yesterday, I can understand our staff's pitch to get DGB eligible this year. We don't appear to have any tall, lanky receivers like some teams do (a Mike Evans type which Johnny Paycheck could just throw the ball up and he'd just go get it). DGB would be a "" game-changer for us this year. He would get a lot of double coverage or at least attract a lot of attention which would allow our smaller receivers to get wide open more.
    Heupel's going to have really step-up in the play-calling/game-planning department, as well as our receivers and especially TK progressing thru his reads, if we're going to make the playoffs. imo.

BTW, I did notice that Fx College Sports Midwest (cable) (FX Sports SW--Sat, I guess) is replaying the game tomorrow afternoon for those who didn't DVR it. From the time slot allocated, it looks like it will be the whole game unless they sandwich a bunch of lame commercials with the obligatory "due to time constraints we are going to move further along in the action" which we wouldn't have to do if we weren't so greedy and showing so many stupid info-mercials.