Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

A question about the VOLs Band

First I know the Daily Disappointment said the UT Band is not coming but I seen the UT buses leaving Will Rogers today with 5 buses. That seems like a lot of buses for a football travel squad. With that said did UT change there minds and bring the band?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: A question about the VOLs Band

So there's a chance we hear Rocky Top? Doesn't matter - OUr band will belt out Boomer Sooner until their heads explode.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

Guess you haven't been to a game since the hated one was hired. They only play Boomer Sooner after a score and maybe at the end of the game.

I do hope the Vols brought their band.

Sorry folks. To the best of my understanding, the Tennessee band is NOT coming. It is nothing personal against Oklahoma fans. It all has to do with The Great Recession and related budget issues. The university pulled the rug out from under the new band director and told him the band had to quit going to so many away football games to save the university money. The band director got POed about it and complained up one side and down the other about it---nearly got his butt fired over it---lost the battle and the war. The money issues associated with Lane Kiffin and Derek Dooley did not help the financial situation---only hurt it more. I have not really followed the issue since the heated exchanges between the band and the administration a few years ago. At that time,I heard that they planned to send a CD version of the band playing Rocky Top to the away press boxes, and the "DJ" in the press box would play it over the PA system at appropriate times during the game. Whether they did that or not---I don't know. If they did, there is still a chance you might hear the band and Rocky Top that way. I can tell you this. Just about everyone in the VOLS fan community---including me---was really POed about cutting the band participation in road games. However, I hear that this is a growing trend nationwide now.