Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Re: TMZ reporting AD in trouble in Tx?

I don't spank my kids. I spanked my daughter once and immediately felt like a failure.
    Corporal punishment, spanking, etc doesn't work. I could use my own anecdotal evidence of my own personal history and seeing those around me who do spank or I could point to almost every study ever done that shows that corporal punishment doesn't work.

Adrian needs some help being a better father and making better choices. You don't father multiple kids to multiple mothers if you have your head on straight. And you don't hit your kid with a switch or shove leaves in his mouth or smack him so hard it leaves a scar on his face.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ton Loc View Post
    I don't spank my kids. I spanked my daughter once and immediately felt like a failure.
    Corporal punishment, spanking, etc doesn't work. I could use my own anecdotal evidence of my own personal history and seeing those around me who do spank or I could point to almost every study ever done that shows that corporal punishment doesn't work.

Adrian needs some help being a better father and making better choices. You don't father multiple kids to multiple mothers if you have your head on straight. And you don't hit your kid with a switch or shove leaves in his mouth or smack him so hard it leaves a scar on his face.
    I have looked at many, many of the behavioral studies regarding the use of corporal punishment and they are all poorly designed with obvious political biases. I rarely see more stupid parents than the idiots trying to reason with an unruly 2 or 3 year old in a restaurant. If you are one of these type of parents you and your children have most likely been put on a lot of "do not invite" lists for social gatherings.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

This thread has been beat to death...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Which is wrong. Putting this thread in timeout is enough - it's never okay to hit a thread.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    ........................with a switch or a paddle?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I have looked at many, many of the behavioral studies regarding the use of corporal punishment and they are all poorly designed with obvious political biases. I rarely see more stupid parents than the idiots trying to reason with an unruly 2 or 3 year old in a restaurant. If you are one of these type of parents you and your children have most likely been put on a lot of "do not invite" lists for social gatherings.
    I guess I'm lucky. My kids are perfect. It's probably my perfect parenting.

If you don't have the patience and maturity to deal with a kid without hitting them then you could use some work as a parent.

And I know this thread has been beat to death. FaninAma is just a dummy who is easily riled up when his opinion isn't considered fact.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ton Loc View Post
    I guess I'm lucky. My kids are perfect. It's probably my perfect parenting.

If you don't have the patience and maturity to deal with a kid without hitting them then you could use some work as a parent.

And I know this thread has been beat to death. FaninAma is just a dummy who is easily riled up when his opinion isn't considered fact.
    No, I just dislike sanctimonious morons like you who want to criticize and belittle people you disagree with. And as far as your children being perfect I sincerely doubt a casual objective observer would agree....especially if your kids got any of their personal interaction skills from you.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Administrator
    vCash

I would consider FaninAma's input on this subject, he does have a 'few' years experience in the matter...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I would consider FaninAma's input on this subject, he does have a 'few' years experience in the matter...
    The one thing my experience has taught me is that there is not a one size fits all style of parenting. Some kids need more guidance and discipline. Others are easier to guide in the direction you want them to go. I personally do not spank my kids. But I will not criticize those that do. It is the epitome of arrogance to presume you know what works with other people's children. And like I said in my previous post....if you are that arrogant and superior there is probably a good chance your progeny is, too.

I have seen most forms of discipline termed ineffective or unjustly punitive at some point including time-outs/making children stay in their rooms, using the word no or don't, or even depriving them of privileges. And despite how brilliant some of you think your children are there is not a child in the world that is born with an innate sense of right or wrong or the ability to understand how their actions impact others around them. It is something you teach them through consistency and caring. And yes, corporal punishment can be carried out by a caring parent. Society sure doesn't spare the rod when your kids get past the age of accountability.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/17/2014 at 05:22 PM.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

What a keen sense of observation. And you have raised how many children? I've seen 7 year old children who run right over their mothers and who obviously aren't afraid of anything they say and obviously were never spanked. These kids often end up doing the same in school and stay in trouble all of the time. Your anecdotal evidence is just that...anecdotal. You are stepping way over the line in your criticism of all the parents who feel they know what is in the best interest of their child and have decided the judicious use of corporal punishment is best method of disciplining their children.
    You're funny. You complain about my "anecdotal evidence being just that...anecdotal," right after supporting your own point with...anecdotal evidence.

I'm nothing if not amenable to being educated, however, so if you can point me to any well-designed behavioral studies without obvious political bias--and I'm going to raise the bar a bit by throwing in peer-reviewed--that conclude that corporal punishment is an effective, harmless disciplinary measure, I'd appreciate it. I'd be interested in reading them.

Just for clarity, I recall saying I don't believe in corporal punishment. I don't recall specifically criticizing any parents who have decided that the judicious use of corporal punishment is appropriate for their child. Sort of like I don't believe in eating trans fats, but I don't criticize anyone who does. If anything I said suggested otherwise then I wasn't as clear as I thought I was being.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    ........................with a switch or a paddle?
    What a Tasteless Joke !
    yet I laughed!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

http://www.cnn.com/2011/11/08/living...ts-spanking-p/

Pretty balanced article on the subject. SDSoonergal, as I said if I misinterpreted your remarks I apologize.

74% of mothers think spanking is okay. In 2011 93% of 3 to 4 year olds have been spanked at least once in the past year.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/17/2014 at 11:46 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Look, I can understand if somebody doesn't want to spank their kids or whatever. I don't dagree with it, but I'm not going to lecture them that their kids are going to grow up to be misbehaving malcontents or gigantic pu$$ies. They may turn out fine. They may turn out awful. It's always a crapshoot. Every kid is different. But for somebody who chooses not to discipline their kids in such a way to say definitively that spanking doesn't work is absurd. There is a reason that it has been done for thousands of years. Spare me some asinine comparison to slavery or wife beating having been done for thousands of years. Some kids need a spanking or whooping, and some offenses are worth it, even if the kid is aged 4. Some kids respond better to spanking. Some kids respond equally as well to time out, but if the offense is particularly egregious and you're inclined to spank your kid, you aren't going to test time out as an alternative.

This is part of the problem that AD is facing. The people screaming the loudest are people who don't appreciate people having the right to physically discipline their kids, even though every state in the union permits such things. You go around the water cooler or talk amongst your friends, and a lot of them will say the same thing about AD-- that they were brought up that way and don't think their parents were criminals. If you're really tight with them, they may even tell you that they employ the same methods on their children, minus maybe the one that hurt them the most. The problem is people aren't going to chime in in public in a debate like this for fear of being labeled a child abuser. They may implicate their parents because it was long ago and won't get them in trouble, but they aren't going to say something in public that may bring CPS to their house.

Raise your kids the way you want to raise them. Discipline them whichever way works. It isn't anybody's business unless you're punching them in the damn face or something excessive. AD is right on the borderline with what he did by today's standards. When he was growing up a mere 15-20 years ago, it was more commonplace than it is now. I'm not comfortable screwing a man out of a job over something so subjective. Goodell has absolutely no stones in this matter and any other recent matters or else he would implement a coherent policy that defers to the legal process first and a coherent and structured NFL discipline process second.

Goodell is of the generation that still didn't frown on corporal punishment, so if you want to argue a case of whoopings that didn't work, it's clearly him. He probably got whooped and still turned into a giant vag.

vCash

No, I just dislike sanctimonious morons like you who want to criticize and belittle people you disagree with. And as far as your children being perfect I sincerely doubt a casual objective observer would agree....especially if your kids got any of their personal interaction skills from you.
    My kids are perfect. Casual observers approach me constantly and tell me. So with that small shred of anecdotal evidence I've completely proven my point and can rest easy. <-----sarcasm....

I've never seen loving corporal punishment handed out. Wouldn't know what that looks like and quite frankly, if I saw loving corporal punishment it would probably freak me out.

I turned out fine being spanked, slapped, hit, and occasionally beat. I turned out fine in spite of that, not because of it. I think people are trying to link spanking to turning out "okay." That's just crazy talk.

vCash

Well kudos to your perfect kids. With such an arrogant jerk for a father I'm glad they turned out OK. It must be awesome to be so intelligent and confident in your intellectual, moral and parenting skill superiority. Do you realize how you sound? Are you really that tone deaf? How does it feel knowing in your infinite wisdom that your parents were bad parents and used poor parenting choices? Have you informed them of the error of their ways? You certainly need to lest they continue along their misguided path of thinking they did the best job they could in raising you.

None of my kids and none of the kids I know or take care of are perfect. If they were they wouldn't need me.

My evidence is anecdotal also but it is a hell of a lot more extensive than yours.

And it looks like the lynch mob got another pound of flesh with Peterson being suspended indefinitely. It is obvious AD is in need of some counseling and education on the use of discipline and parenting but it is also evident that he is operating under the moral and cultural values he learned as a kid.

I didn't care a whole lot for the NFL even before the current commissioner lost what little spine he had. Now it is evident that everybody with an agenda will use him as their whipping boy because they now they can intimidate him into doing whatever they want.

Ray Rice needed to be suspended and undergo counseling. Adrian needed counseling and education. Neither needed to be destroyed professionally. The vindictiveness of the "perfect" individuals in our society is very telling.

Meanwhile a lot of these same perfect people continue to support a burgeoning entitlement culture that leads to single parent homes and absentee fathers. That is the true abuse being foisted upon the poor and minority communities in this country.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/18/2014 at 11:15 AM.

vCash

You gathered a lot from my small sarcastic not serious at all statements about me and my kids being perfect. That's a whole bunch of judging. (Seriously though - we are perfect)
    I'm not even sure what we're arguing about. I'm just having fun.

You're out of touch a bit. Which is fine, its just that you won't be happy by what society deems right or wrong all the time.

And I'm finished.

vCash

The reason I flipped out on you is that I detest judgmental mobs especially when they are cheered on by the idiots in the media and morons in the PC political groups. Your comments seemed to indicate you feel comfortable with the mob mentality currently steamrolling everybody they disagree with and those poor individuals who are unfortunate enough to find themselves on the mob's hit list.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 nighttrain12's Avatar
    vCash

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11...nesota-vikings

Hey, he passed a lie detector test. That means he is innocent, right?
    BOOMER ......... SOONER!
    AGGIES ......... SUCK!
    ... and the home, of the, SOONERS!
    THUNDER THE F&*K UP!

This is so ****ing stupid. Tired of the media dictating what everyone's opinions are supposed to be, and then demonizing people who disagree. If they remove Peterson from the league for this, I will never support the NFL in any way again.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerForLife92 View Post
    This is so ****ing stupid. Tired of the media dictating what everyone's opinions are supposed to be, and then demonizing people who disagree. If they remove Peterson from the league for this, I will never support the NFL in any way again.
    \

I'm sure you will be missed.