Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: TMZ reporting AD in trouble in Tx?

I think the media is doing it's own major grand-standing with this. After the Ray Rice incident, everyone is in a hurry to look like they are above reproach and this behavior is deplorable.

My favorite so far is the media's use of "tree branch". Yeah, I guess technically a switch is a branch from a tree, but they want the viewers to think he used a large tree branch.

Anyway, I think AD was excessive in his discipline, but I can't believe the people calling for his head. He was raised being disciplined that way, and that's what he knows. Rather than crucifying the guy, how about the folks around him getting him help to become a better parent? To this point, AD has been a very upstanding member of the community and a genuine good guy. He made a mistake, because that's what he knew, and people are quick to call him names and lump him in with people like Ray Rice. It's crazy.

I was hit with a switch more than once, hell, I remember having to go pick it and like the Chris Rock bit, if it wasn't big enough, I'd be in more trouble. It's the way a lot of folks were raised. I never considered myself an abused child, because it didn't happen often and typically was a last resort. Still, I haven't used that approach with my kids, and I like I said, I think AD went overboard, but it's not as uncommon as the TV and radio hosts would like their viewers to believe.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

^^ Good post. That's exactly how I feel. I watched Barkley nonchalantly say that's the way things are in a lot of places yesterday, and Rome is just badgering him trying to get him to condemn AD in any way. The whole time I'm thinking if there is anybody who didn't get whacked enough as a kid, it's Jim Rome.

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    I didn't say that at all. Your posts seem to indicate that corporal punishment should never be used. Did I misinterpret your post? If I did I apologize. If I didn't then I would like to know what child rearing expertise or authority you are using to base your opinion on.
    No, you didn't misinterpret me. I don't believe in corporal punishment. I base my opinion on observation. I had plenty of peers growing up who weren't spanked as I was who grew into perfectly normal, successful adults. I have watched my nieces and nephews grow into pleasant, well-behaved, respectful kids without ever being hit even in response to some egregious behavior including nearly setting my living room on fire.

My lot in life has not included children of my own. (If I were so blessed, though, I don't believe I would ever hit them.) I am not a parent, nor do I have any especial child rearing expertise or authority. I don't think being a parent automatically makes one an expert, however, else all parents would be good parents.

Moreover, if the rules of the board (or society at large, come to think of it) required that one voice opinions only in areas in which one has experience, training, or expertise, it'd be mighty quiet.

I was at the Target yesterday behind a woman with several kids including an absolutely preciously cute girl of about 6 or 7. The child was not misbehaving in the least--she wasn't pulling stuff off the shelves as some kids do in the checkout line, or begging her mom to buy her something. All she was doing was prancing around and talking a mile a minute, asking her mom questions while her mom was dealing with some issue over an item she'd bought and trying to pay for her purchases.

Finally the mom grabbed the child to tell her to shut up or some such, and the child immediately cringed as though she was used to being hit and was expecting it. It made my stomach turn. The child was doing nothing wrong. Just being a kid.

I just don't think any child should exhibit that kind of fear of the person most responsible for his or her care and well-being.
    Last edited by SanDiegoSoonerGal; 9/16/2014 at 11:49 PM.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

You don't HAVE to spank your children.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoSoonerGal View Post
    No, you didn't misinterpret me. I don't believe in corporal punishment. I base my opinion on observation. I had plenty of peers growing up who weren't spanked as I was who grew into perfectly normal, successful adults. I have watched my nieces and nephews grow into pleasant, well-behaved, respectful kids without ever being hit even in response to some egregious behavior including nearly setting my living room on fire.

My lot in life has not included children of my own. (If I were so blessed, though, I don't believe I would ever hit them.) I am not a parent, nor do I have any especial child rearing expertise or authority. I don't think being a parent automatically makes one an expert, however, else all parents would be good parents.

Moreover, if the rules of the board (or society at large, come to think of it) required that one voice opinions only in areas in which one has experience, training, or expertise, it'd be mighty quiet.

I was at the Target yesterday behind a woman with several kids including an absolutely preciously cute girl of about 6 or 7. The child was not misbehaving in the least--she wasn't pulling stuff off the shelves as some kids do in the checkout line, or begging her mom to buy her something. All she was doing was prancing around and talking a mile a minute, asking her mom questions while her mom was dealing with some issue over an item she'd bought and trying to pay for her purchases.

Finally the mom grabbed the child to tell her to shut up or some such, and the child immediately cringed as though she was used to being hit and was expecting it. It made my stomach turn. The child was doing nothing wrong. Just being a kid.

I just don't think any child should exhibit that kind of fear of the person most responsible for his or her care and well-being.
    I make My tasteless Jokes But I agree with you. I was a Dad of 3 Now get to spoil 2 of my Grandsons
    Yes I had to resort to corporal punishment a Few times with 2 teenage boys and Me being a single Parent. they had to test me.
    Every kid is different
    never saw a One come out with an instruction manual

I will be serious about this issue ONE time ok?
    Then Ima go back to being Tasteless

My Opinion is AD went to far. Sure I was switched , Hell I was Belted, had a Wire Clothes hanger, Anyone Mention a Razor Strop? Switches , the whole 9 Yards.
    But that was the way Our Folks were raised and the way their parents were raised.
    Now Remember a few short years ago when Kids didnt Have Car seats?There were No seat belts. we all smoked where ever we wanted?

Things Change .
    Like I said AD went to far, That doesnt make him a Bad person, It makes him a Parent in need of a Parenting Class Oh and while hes at it. Make him attend a Sex Ed. Class.

Now beat that Kid LOL
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    You don't HAVE to spank your children.
    You are so Absolute about that statement Are you sayin EVERY kid is the same?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

OK all y'all. Question.

Stipulation: AD was just disciplining his kid and he went overboard. (Just for argument's sake, we'll ignore his own words "Never do I go overboard!")

Reggie Bush admits disciplining his one-year-old daughter. Says he "definitely will try to, will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on, again, on what the situation is."

Please discuss. Bush =, <=, >= Peterson? Why or why not?

Also just out of curiosity for a nonparent, how does one discipline a one-year-old?

vCash

OK all y'all. Question.

Stipulation: AD was just disciplining his kid and he went overboard. (Just for argument's sake, we'll ignore his own words "Never do I go overboard!")

Reggie Bush admits disciplining his one-year-old daughter. Says he "definitely will try to, will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on, again, on what the situation is."

Also just out of curiosity for a nonparent, how does one discipline a one-year-old?
    WHAT? I never heard a werd about R bush and a 1 year old.
    The only thing I know ya do with a Baby is change their Butts. Not beat em. Feed em if they crying. Now if they tryin to Stick nails er sompun in the lectric outlets Ya gently slap their hands and say NO. then Take yerself out side and Hit you head against a brick wall for Leaving nails around where a Baby can get it.
    a 4 year old prolly needs some Firm discipline Not a Beating But a 1 year Old Just needs a Hug and a Fresh Huggy and a Bottle.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    You are so Absolute about that statement Are you sayin EVERY kid is the same?
    I think I may not have communicated my point properly. I meant the opposite. Every kid is different, as is every parent, so not every parent needs to spank every kid. I condone parents having the right to spank, but that doesn't mean that I condemn those who choose not to. You don't HAVE to spank your kid, but you should have the right to.

vCash

One other Nuther Thing, AD Didnt Go overboard in HIS MInd Nor in a Lot of other peoples minds it seems
    But in the general Population He DID in fact go over board
    Why I said He needs a Parenting class. I dont think hes a Criminal I think hes just stupid at parenting

Allegedly Pokish
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    WHAT? I never heard a werd about R bush and a 1 year old.
    The only thing I know ya do with a Baby is change their Butts. Not beat em. Feed em if they crying. Now if they tryin to Stick nails er sompun in the lectric outlets Ya gently slap their hands and say NO. then Take yerself out side and Hit you head against a brick wall for Leaving nails around where a Baby can get it.
    a 4 year old prolly needs some Firm discipline Not a Beating But a 1 year Old Just needs a Hug and a Fresh Huggy and a Bottle.
    Oh sorry, I forgot to include the link. Bush's hypothetical take on the situation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reggie-bush...ry?id=25537109

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    I think I may not have communicated my point properly. I meant the opposite. Every kid is different, as is every parent, so not every parent needs to spank every kid. I condone parents having the right to spank, but that doesn't mean that I condemn those who choose not to. You don't HAVE to spank your kid, but you should have the right to.
    There ya go.Ive seen Kids a 2x4 upside the head wouldnt get their attention! Hell just Look at TearDownThisWall that boy was beat to hell and gone and hes still stupid

vCash

Oh sorry, I forgot to include the link. Bush's hypothetical take on the situation.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reggie-bush...ry?id=25537109
    In reading that Link , He seems to be saying he disciplines her . Ok But Not with a switch hes saying he wont rule it out in the Future

vCash

Holy Hell The Vikes sat him again!
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...n-indefinitely

Cut all this Criminal Crap and send the Boy to Parenting Class. and let him get back to running

vCash
    Disciplining a 1 yr old is absurd beyond telling them no. Their comprehension is akin to a dog at that age, if not less. I'm not sure I'd put much stock in Bush's statement. Professional athletes usually aren't the most articulate bunch.
    Posted from iOS app

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Geez, AD's kids may come out of this with more money than they know what to do with. I'm not an attorney, but I can't believe that they won't sue somebody over this, and that some kind of minor plea bargain won't be reached so their meal ticket will be back on the field shortly.

Mother of Adrian Peterson's son outraged that photos were released

http://http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/...-were-released

Although the photos started a public outcry against Peterson, they were never supposed to be made public. The mother of Peterson's son released a statement Tuesday expressing her outrage that the photos were made public.
    My client, on behalf of herself and their son, wishes to express her extreme outrage at the invasion of their privacy that has occurred through the publication of highly confidential and private data obtained regarding them by the press without their permission or consent. My client is hurt and outraged that the press would publish throughout the world pictures of their minor son and publish statements allegedly made as part of the private and confidential criminal investigative file.
    The photos were originally published by KILT-AM in Houston, although it's not clear how the station obtained the photos. Because it was against the law to release the photos, Texas police are now looking into who leaked them, according to the Houston Chronicle.

"It is a violation of the law regarding the confidentiality of child abuse investigations," Montgomery County first assistant district attorney Phil Grant said.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I think the media is doing it's own major grand-standing with this.
    This is so true. I mean most civilized folks and even a few barbarians believe Adrian went too far, but to put him in the same category as Ray Rice is yellow journalism...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

vCash
    Whether it is here, other boards, or Facebook, people are pretty divided on this issue. I understand the outcry, particularly from those who were abused, but those who experienced similar discipline growing up or still discipline their kids the same way are obviously not inclined to speak up right now. Basically, there is only one side shouting, and that is bad for Adrian Peterson.
    Posted from iOS app

Administrator
    vCash

OK all y'all. Question.

I can't really speak to the Reggie Bush situation, as I haven't heard much about that...AD, on the other hand, said he had spoken to a psychologist and realized there are alternatives to what he had been doing (that told me enough to believe he felt like he was doing the right thing prior, and may at least realize he needs to change).

It's been a while since my boys were one, but I don't ever remember a situation that required discipline. At that age, they're just trying to figure out how to walk/talk, and everything is so new to them. I don't remember having any issues until well into the second year, but even those were just normal things (like saying "No" consistently).

Honestly, I can't imagine a situation that would ever really call for disciplining a one year old.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

What a keen sense of observation. And you have raised how many children? I've seen 7 year old children who run right over their mothers and who obviously aren't afraid of anything they say and obviously were never spanked. These kids often end up doing the same in school and stay in trouble all of the time. Your anecdotal evidence is just that...anecdotal. You are stepping way over the line in your criticism of all the parents who feel they know what is in the best interest of their child and have decided the judicious use of corporal punishment is best method of disciplining their children.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/17/2014 at 03:46 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.