Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Poke QB could be out for season

Oklahoma State could be without its starting quarterback for a significant period of time.
    Link
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

vCash

Re: Poke QB could be out for season

Aw Poor Ewes, What happened to that Chelf feller? Oh well sucks to be an OsEwe fan . Huh CowboyMRW LOL

Glad we got our Bet down after your FSU game
    Like taking Candy from a Baby.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    Wishing I was moving to Monroe, Oklahoma...
    vCash

Who the hell names their kid Daxx, some Star Trek Deep Space 9 fan?
    Everything progressives do is aimed at weakening democracy, capitalism and the social and cultural institutions that support those things...... They are about subjugating people and being a ruling class.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

In case you haven't figured it out in the 10 or so years Mike Gundy has been OSU's coach... he has no starting quarterback. He has several, therefore, he has none.

Donovan Woods? Let's move him to safety.
    Bobby Reid? Come after me, I'm a man, I'm 40.
    Brandon Weeden? Third string old man Yankee draft pick... you all know his story already.
    Wes Lunt? Now he's Illinois' starter.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Of course, the poke fans say Daxx is better anyway. So there's that...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Their backup is just as good. I don't see this affecting their season.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Of course, the poke fans say Daxx is better anyway. So there's that...
    Honestly, I think they're right this time.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Soonerfan88's Avatar
    vCash

I truly believe M. Gundy is subconsciously sabotaging his QBs because he doesn't want anyone breaking his records.

vCash

So you know how the previous starting Poke QB was declared out for the season back in September?

Well, there's a sequel.

Link

For those of you outside Pokedom's extended reach area, aka Tulsa, here's a Cliff's notes version of OSU football this year:

1- FSU is not as good as everyone thought; OSU playing them close no longer has meaning
    2- OSU needs to beat either Baylor or OU (aka "Gooner") to become bowl-eligible for an eighth-straight season
    3- Mike Gundy to Florida rumors linger

And in relation to all of those, Gundy has almost stubbornly clung to stud freshman quarterback Mason Rudolph's redshirt, even as backup-turned-starter Daxx Garman has been sacked 26 times in seven conference games.

Now, OSU's quarterback Daxx reportedly allegedly probably has a concussion and hasn't been able to practice all week. Ouch.

So, do you yank a redshirt for the two (potentially three, if they beat Baylor or Gooner) remaining games this season, or go with a walk-on that also hasn't really played this year.

Saturday looms... tune in, it will probably be a bloodbath considering how Baylor embarrassed us a few weeks ago

PS: This also happened last weekend. Poor pokes.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 deweydw's Avatar
    vCash

Rocco needs to walk on at QB. Sounds like he can fire up the team.
    "Destiny dressed you this morning, my friend. And now fear is trying to pull off your pants." "If you give up, If you give in. Then you're going to end up naked, with fear just standing there laughing at your dang unmetionables." - The Tick

vCash

I don't have any insider knowledge, but everything that I've heard reported suggests that Mike Gundy's looking to coach elsewhere next season. So much for OSU being his "New York Yankees job." It probably would have been if it weren't for Pokes like Boone Pickens thinking they are on a different level just because they won the Big 12 once and won a Fiesta Bowl once recently.

I really don't know who'd they get to coach if Gundy leaves. Their current lead coordinators infuriate the fans even more than losing, if you judge them based on Internet Pokes

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Petrino

And I'm only half joking.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Gundy got lucky with Weeden and Blackmon....Which credit goes to Holgerson for getting them off the bench......They should go after Larry Coker.....
    Hey... maybe T BOONE can pony up and start a Stilleater newspaper... but the players would probably just use it to roll the weed.

Saving the World one Power plant at a Time
    vCash

Gundy's not leaving.

No point in burning Mason's RS at this time. Just take the *** rapings and prepare for next year. We've known Daxx sucks since the summer, can't believe I watched him QB us this season.
    OKLAHOMA STATE WRESTLING: 34 Team National Championships, 137 Individual National Champions, 48 Conference Championships, 435 All-Americans, 41 Olympians, NCAA Record 84 Straight Wins

OU FOOTBALL: 7 National Championships, 45 Conference Championships, 153 All-Americans, Zero Olympians, NCAA Record 47 Straight Wins

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CowboyMRW View Post
    Gundy's not leaving.
    Because Gundy sucks and OSU success has been in spite of him not because of him.*

*Grantland said this, not me! Be angry at Grantland!**

**Or be angry at me and everyone who agrees that everything written is incredibly plausible and probably true

Administrator
    vCash

I can't blame Gundy for not wanting to burn Rudolph's redshirt. It's no different that Stoops not wanting to burn Hansen's redshirt with two games left in the season. I'm sure if he has to, he will (Gundy that is), but it's not his first choice.

I think the season may have gone differently for the Pokes if Chelf stayed healthy, but I'm not sure it would have been tremendously better. The Gundy to Florida rumor is picking up a lot of steam, it'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    if Chelf stayed healthy
    I know it's hard to keep them all straight since Gundy can't make up his damn mind with QBs, but for future reference on the tri-fecta of starters post-Weeden:

Wes Lunt: Transferred to Illinois
    Clint Chelf: Ended eligiblity last season
    J.W. Walsh: The starter from this season that went down with injury

And now...a new trifecta:

Daxx Garman: The transfer from Arizona that replaced Walsh
    Mason Rudolph: The freshman whos redshirt might get burned against Baylor/us
    Nameless walk-on: The third QB guy whom I don't know that has very little chance of playing

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Honestly, I think they're right this time.
    LOLOL@ME

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I know it's hard to keep them all straight since Gundy can't make up his damn mind with QBs, but for future reference on the tri-fecta of starters post-Weeden:

Wes Lunt: Transferred to Illinois
    Clint Chelf: Ended eligiblity last season
    J.W. Walsh: The starter from this season that went down with injury

And now...a new trifecta:

Daxx Garman: The transfer from Arizona that replaced Walsh
    Mason Rudolph: The freshman whos redshirt might get burned against Baylor/us
    Nameless walk-on: The third QB guy whom I don't know that has very little chance of playing
    Damn, Walsh is what I meant. I really can't keep them all straight because Gundy apparently can't either.

vCash

Hello everyone, and welcome to the most recent edition of "Know your Poke" brought to you by the Stillwater-East resident, aka Tulsa resident, badger.

As previously discussed, there is a quarterback quandry in good ol' Stilly. Gundy is pretending that there's equal snaps and equal chances of either Daxx (who replaced injured J.W. Walsh earlier this year) or Mason (who replaced injured Daxx against Baylor), but you don't yank a redshirt off a true freshman for just one game. Mason is starting, just like our RS freshman Cody Thomas is.

But, who gives a crap about that. Let's talk Mike Gundy, who was incredibly testy during the press conference yesterday.

“I would never talk about personnel decisions that we make publicly,” Gundy said in response to a question about the idea of pulling the redshirt of Mason Rudolph for just one game if, in fact, Daxx Garman starts on Saturday.

“I’m not going to discuss who gives us the best chance to win and/or why,” Gundy said, when asked if Rudolph gives the Cowboys a “puncher’s chance” against the Sooners.

And that was just the beginning. Gundy’s hesitancy stole the show all afternoon.

As the questions wore on, Gundy’s list of unapproachable topics grew:

Memories from his first OU-OSU as a player: “I honestly don’t remember.”

Who took the lead on Rudolph’s recruitment: “We’ll never talk about recruiting process, personnel decisions or injuries.”

On the multiple reports that cornerbacks coach Van Malone is set to become defensive coordinator at SMU: “I would never talk about personnel decisions with a coach or a player during the season.”
    The backstory is that Gundy is apparently under a lot of stress right now. While the rest of the country dances around the fact that Gundy is living the dream at his alma mater and surely he would never entertain offers from big name jobs for any reason other than to get a pay raise from OSU... locals know otherwise. Gundy needs a break.

It's not just that stupid Boone Pickens soundbyte from a few weeks ago where Pickens said "I’m certainly supportive of Oklahoma State University I’m always going to be for OSU. I don’t care who coaches ‘em."

It's also athletic department support. Gundy has said that he wants to have a softer non-conference schedule and OSU AD Mike Holder goes and schedules the defending national champs on opening week at Jerryworld. The year before that it was Mississippi State. Before that it was a home and home with Georgia. Certainly they've mixed in the Savannah States and Missouri States and UTSAs, but clearly, they are not on the same page on some things.

So anyways... look for this weekend to be not just a battle on whether OSU becomes bowl eligible, but rather, on what direction OSU and Gundy take. If there's an awesome, flawless gameplan that results in a repeat of 2001, Gundy and OSU are happily married till death do them part. If it's a repeat of 2003, like Les Miles, Gundy is gone.
    Last edited by badger; 12/3/2014 at 11:54 AM.