Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Would You Encourage Your Son or Daughter To Join The Military?

Re; Rock On's story. One of the first things to impress upon your kids, relatives, friends, and anyone who isn't familiar with the military - Recruiters Lie.

I served in the Air Force Reserve. I tried to discourage my middle son from joing the Army Guard in 2010, but he did it anyway. My primary reason was selfishly wanting to not lose my son to KIA or PTSD, but I also didn't want him participating in the occupation of a foreign country.

Another important thing anyone considering joining the military needs to know about is PTSD. Valar morghulis and all that, but living for many years with PTSD, being a risk to your loved ones, or living on the street, seems like hell on earth to me. If We the People really had any influence, I would say we need to include the young people that we are condemning to a life with PTSD as well as those killed or physically wounded in the calculus of costs vs benefits of going to war.

I was passionately against Iraq 2.0. I am against what we're doing now in Iraq/Syria, but the case isn't so clear cut. We are responsible for the mess over there now, under General Powell's Pottery Barn Rule - we broke it, we bought it. On the other hand, a majority of the crap we're dealing with in the ME today is due to bad decisions by US and, earlier, our British and French allies. Every move we make seems to get us embroiled further, as in the Tar Baby. I also get the feeling the caliphate leaders really *want* us over there, to further bleed us of blood and treasure. Bin Laden brought down one superpower; he wanted to add US to his list, and I hope he can see from hell that he failed. How we handle Iraq 3.0 will have a big impact on that.

It's always good to hear from General "Sic'Em" Lee, but I'm an American who's proud to live in Oklahoma, not t'other way around.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

I would never allow my son to join the military as long as our government supports the House of Saud and insists on continuing to support these purveyors of Islamic fueled hatred.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Regarding TAFBSooner's point about lying recruiters...that appears to be the norm
    in today's climate...the push to maintain quotas in today's military. When I went
    to the recruiting station (all branches were in the same building) in Ardmore, I went
    fully intending to join the Army. All the recruiters except the Air Force were "out to
    lunch", so, not wanting to waste the trip I talked to the Air Force guy. He told me
    what the AF's needs were and, in order to tell me where I would LIKELY go, I had
    to take some tests. I did, he scored the tests and told me that I would likely go to
    Intercept School, since that was the greatest need they had. I'm quite certain if
    their greatest need was KP, no matter what aptitude I showed on the test, that's
    where I would have gone. I signed up, two days later I was on a bus to Lackland.
    Four days later, my folks told me that someone from the "gubment" was in town
    checking on my background. After basic, I went to Keesler and my folks told me
    the "gubment" was back in town, checking more in depth. After Keesler, I went to
    Goodfellow and was told I had a TS codeword clearance and couldn't talk to anyone
    about my training.

Just guessing, mind you, but signups now are still put where the need is and the
    recruiters are told the needs and are "trained" on how to put the best face on the
    all volunteer beast. IDGAS, lying to impressionable young men/women is BS and,
    for that reason I'll discourage my grandsons from joining, assuming I'm still vertical
    and taking nourishment in 15 to 18 years!

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post
    Re; Rock On's story. One of the first things to impress upon your kids, relatives, friends, and anyone who isn't familiar with the military - Recruiters Lie.

I served in the Air Force Reserve. I tried to discourage my middle son from joing the Army Guard in 2010, but he did it anyway. My primary reason was selfishly wanting to not lose my son to KIA or PTSD, but I also didn't want him participating in the occupation of a foreign country.

Another important thing anyone considering joining the military needs to know about is PTSD. Valar morghulis an
    d all that, but living for many years with PTSD, being a risk to your loved ones, or living on the street
    , seems like hell on earth to me. If We the People really had any influence, I would say we need to include the young people that we are condemning to a life with PTSD as well as those killed or physically wounded in the calculus of costs vs benefits of going to war.

I was passionately against Iraq 2.0. I am against what we're doing now in Iraq/Syria, but the case isn't so clear cut. We are responsible for the mess over there now, under General Powell's Pottery Barn Rule - we broke it, we bought it. On the other hand, a majority of the crap we're dealing with in the ME today is due to bad decisions by US and, earlier, our British and French allies. Every move we make seems to get us embroiled further, as in the Tar Baby. I also get the feeling the caliphate leaders really *want* us over there, to further bleed us of blood and treasure. Bin Laden brought down one superpower; he wanted to add US to his list, and I hope he can see from hell that he failed. How we handle Iraq 3.0 will have a big impact on that.

It's always good to hear from General "Sic'Em" Lee, but I'm an American who's proud to live in Oklahoma, not t'other way around.
    You have NO clue what your talking about.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TAFBSooner View Post

Another important thing anyone considering joining the military needs to know about is PTSD. Valar morghulis and all that, but living for many years with PTSD, being a risk to your loved ones, or living on the street, seems like hell on earth to me. If We the People really had any influence, I would say we need to include the young people that we are condemning to a life with PTSD as well as those killed or physically wounded in the calculus of costs vs benefits of going to war.

I will absolutely agree that recruiters lie. So, should either of my boys decide to join, I would make sure they understood what they were signing up for, and to not rely on what they are being sold.

The other stuff I'm okay with too, but I'll say it again; if everyone decided not to join the military, we'd be in much worse shape than we are now.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Turd_Ferguson's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I will absolutely agree that recruiters lie. So, should either of my boys decide to join, I would make sure they understood what they were signing up for, and to not rely on what they are being sold.

The other stuff I'm okay with too, but I'll say it again; if everyone decided not to join the military, we'd be in much worse shape than we are now.
    Youngest son joined the National Guard last year while attending UCO. My only demand of him before he signed, was that the recruiter come to my house and set down with my son, my wife and me. The recruiter did just that. He answered every question we had. He gave us his cell number/office address/email and responds any time I call/text/email or stop by. My son took on BCT and AIT one right after the other, completed both and is back home and back at school ready to start ROTC next year. He is absolutely in love with it. My oldest son is looking into the same thing now and the recruiter called me last week to set up another meeting with us. He asked to come visit with us and bring what he thought would be good options for my son after seeing his ASVAB scores.

I will agree that there are a lot of recruiters out there that are like used car salesmen, but there are plenty of good ones out there as well. IMO, getting the recruiter to stay honest with your child requires the parent(s) involvement.

OleVet Posse Instigator

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Turd_Ferguson View Post
    Youngest son joined the National Guard last year while attending UCO. My only demand of him before he signed, was that the recruiter come to my house and set down with my son, my wife and me. The recruiter did just that. He answered every question we had. He gave us his cell number/office address/email and responds any time I call/text/email or stop by. My son took on BCT and AIT one right after the other, completed both and is back home and back at school ready to start ROTC next year. He is absolutely in love with it. My oldest son is looking into the same thing now and the recruiter called me last week to set up another meeting with us. He asked to come visit with us and bring what he thought would be good options for my son after seeing his ASVAB scores.

I will agree that there are a lot of recruiters out there that are like used car salesmen, but there are plenty of good ones out there as well. IMO, getting the recruiter to stay honest with your child requires the parent(s) involvement.
    Great to hear something positive!!!! Keep their feet to the fire....I do believe
    that the Guard is more truthful than regular Army/AF/Navy/Marines, simply
    because they are local and "almost family", whereas the other guys/gals aren't.

Overall, I am CERTAIN that our military is honorable and the absolute BEST
    in the world...it is just that individual egos/ambitions/careers get in the way of
    what is right. As I said a loooooonnnggg time ago, if I had been younger and
    eligible, on 9/12/2001 I would have signed back up. I salute Lady Glory twice
    a day when I hang her out and take her down! ( I still have the flag that flew
    24/7, properly lighted, from 9/12/01 to 5/1/11 and will keep it).....