Administrator
    vCash

Big XII recap (week two)

All in all, a pretty sloppy week for the conference. Here's the rundown (minus OU):

20 Kansas State 32
    Iowa State 28

I fully expected ISU to get run off of the field by the Cats, but in typical ISU fashion, they made it a close game. This ended up being a very entertaining game, but I still can't really tell much about either team at this point. Iowa State isn't as bad as they looked in week 1, and KSU looks like every KSU team we've seen under Snyder. The Cats' QB, Jake Waters did his best Colin Klein impersonation (239 passing yards/138 rushing yards), and proved to be too much for the Cyclones late. I'm not as impressed with Waters as I was Klein, but as long at Tyler Lockett stays healthy, the Cats will be a tough out for any team.

Next up for KSU: 5 Auburn
    Next up for ISU: Iowa

Oklahoma State 40
    Missouri State 28

Don't let the score fool you, OSU controlled the majority of this game. I said somewhere that I didn't think OSU would finish among the upper half of the Big XII with Walsh at QB, and I want to reinforce that opinion. Walsh will not be able to stay healthy, as witnessed during the first quarter of this game. Walsh's replacement (Daxx Garman) picked up where Walsh left off going 16/26 for 244 yards and 2 TDs. The Poke defense didn't look too bad either, allowing most of Missouri State's points in the fourth quarter. JUCO transfer Tyreek Hill is a legitimate weapon for OSU, and could keep the Cowboy's in some close games. There's still a lot of questions about OSU (specifically their defense), but they do look better than what the prognosticators projected coming into the season.

Next up for OSU: UTSA

Kansas 34
    SE Missouri State 28

Unlike the OSU/Missouri State game, the score tells a pretty good story about how this game went. KU jumped to an early lead and headed into halftime up 24-0. Things got a little (a lot) sloppy for the Jayhawks after that. SEMSU continued to pound the KU front with their run game and finally started to get something going midway through the third quarter. Late in the game, KU missed a long field goal that set the Redhawks up in good field position. With a little over a minute and a half left, SEMSU scored to pull within a TD of KU. KU recovered the onside kick to save the game for the Jayhawks. Despite KU's Montell Cozart's mobility, he was -6 yards on 8 carries, and had a mediocre day passing (12/24 196 yards). KU relied on RB De'Andre Mann (121 yards) and Corey Avery (91 yards) to secure the win. Things don't look much better in Lawrence this year.

Next up for KU: Duke

BYU 41
    Texas 7

The state of melt-down in horn land is one you can only dream about. In reality, this is what happens when you lose what seems to be 20 players from last year's squad. The horns are depleted all over the field, and while the defense put up a valiant effort in the first half, they finally broke in the second, and the wheels fell off. Surprisingly, Tyrone Swoopes didn't look too bad, but Texas didn't ask a lot from him. He was solid when attempting short passes, but otherwise was uninspiring. The Texas offensive line was horrible, and when the defense got their heads down, they didn't fight back and let BYU run at will. I'm not sure anyone was expecting this kind of beat down last Saturday, and it shows just how far Texas has fallen. This isn't a make or break year for Strong, but continuing to put performances like this one on display will certainly turn up the heat for him. It doesn't get any easier for Texas, and it could very well get much darker before the Horns see any light at the end of the tunnel.

Next up for Texas: 12 UCLA

West Virginia 54
    Towson 0

Not much to talk about here, other than WVU's offense appears to be somewhat improved from last year. The problem with games like this one is that even the team itself, can't really use this as a gauge. Beating down an FCS teams tells you nothing, unless that team is NDSU, and Towson is nowhere near that kind of team. Still, I am impressed with this year's WVU team so far, if only for how they played Bama in week one. We'll see if WVU is really that improved, or if the opening game was an anomaly. QB Clint Trickett does appear to be more comfortable though, and the WVU defense seems to have remedied some of the issues from 2012. We may not fully know what kind of team WVU is until the Sooners travel to Morgantown.

Next up for WVU: Maryland

Baylor 70
    Northwestern State 6

Even less to talk about in this one. When OU had to schedule FAMU a few years ago, after TCU joined the conference, everyone knew it would be ugly. The game was actually fun for the first quarter or so. After that, it was less about the game and more about making sure no key players got injured, then it was just about getting the game over. As a fan, it's not something I would want to watch every year, let alone 3 games worth every year. Baylor needs to get with the program and stop this bull**** (and no, SMU isn't much better). That's all I have to add.

Next up for Baylor: Buffalo

Texas Tech 30
    UTEP 26

We know first hand what it's like to play at UTEP late on a Saturday night. However, that was a season opener. This was part of what appears to be a trend for the Red Raiders. This game was in serious doubt with less than 5 minutes to play. It took a last minute drive for Taco Tech to pull this one out. In week one, Tech was plagued with penalty after penalty, and just an overall feeling of disorganization. Some of that was excused as "opening game sluggishness". Well, that same sluggishness followed Tech to El Paso. Tech had 10 penalties for 90 yards in the game, which in fairness was better than the 15 penalties for 114 yards in week one. Both are horrible though. Maybe dance-offs at practice aren't the best use of time in Lubbock. To this point, Tech has been the better team, but that will change...and when it does, there won't be anymore 'skin-of-their-teeth' victories.

Next up for Tech: Arkansas

vCash

Re: Big XII recap (week two)

I have no issue at all with scheduling long-time rivals like SMU with whom we once shared a conference -- they're still a FBS team. It's not at all unlike scheduling Tulsa.

I can't defend **** like scheduling Incarnate Word. The official word is that we had trouble finding an opponent for that slot, but surely we can do better than that ****ing ****.

Buffalo was scheduled years ago when we sucked, and we were looking for a non-conf opponent we had a chance against.

Not to defend all of our scheduling choices, but a good point was made during the broadcast of Saturday's game. We play every single team in the conference. Other Big XII teams have higher-profile non-conf opponents. If those other teams beat their high profile non-conference opponents and we, in turn, beat those Big XII teams in conference play then our weak non-conference schedule becomes less important. The only problem with this theory is that it depends on our Big XII brothers to get the job done. If they lose out in those high profile games then having a very weak non-conference schedule hurts us that much more.

It's really a risk/reward calculation. I think Baylor is banking on getting those W's in non-conference and the Big XII doing well, overall, in non-conference play.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SicEmBaylor View Post
    I have no issue at all with scheduling long-time rivals like SMU with whom we once shared a conference -- they're still a FBS team. It's not at all unlike scheduling Tulsa.

I can't defend **** like scheduling Incarnate Word. The official word is that we had trouble finding an opponent for that slot, but surely we can do better than that ****ing ****.

Buffalo was scheduled years ago when we sucked, and we were looking for a non-conf opponent we had a chance against.

Not to defend all of our scheduling choices, but a good point was made during the broadcast of Saturday's game. We play every single team in the conference. Other Big XII teams have higher-profile non-conf opponents. If those other teams beat their high profile non-conference opponents and we, in turn, beat those Big XII teams in conference play then our weak non-conference schedule becomes less important. The only problem with this theory is that it depends on our Big XII brothers to get the job done. If they lose out in those high profile games then having a very weak non-conference schedule hurts us that much more.

It's really a risk/reward calculation. I think Baylor is banking on getting those W's in non-conference and the Big XII doing well, overall, in non-conference play.
    I KNEW that would draw you out!

I don't think I'd have an issue (or even care) if it didn't appear Baylor seems to be continuing to schedule like this. Scheduling SMU for a series is fine, but when that's the most difficult OOC game scheduled, that's pretty bad.

Baylor is a good team, they are the defending conference champions. There's no reason to schedule like that anymore. Period.

We'll see if it plays out, but there's a chance the OOC schedule bites Baylor in the ***. At this point, most everyone (in the media) realized how bad the OOC schedule it, so it's bound to be in the playoff conversation, should Baylor find themselves there.

I'd probably have no issue if Baylor scheduled a Utah or Georgia Tech, teams that suck but at least belong to P5 conferences, but no team as successful as Baylor should EVER schedule an FCS team.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

June Jones has quit at SMU. I guess TCU was idle this week?

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    June Jones has quit at SMU. I guess TCU was idle this week?
    Damn, that's the second week in a row I forgot a team. Yeah, TCU was idle.

Kinda odd timing on the Jones thing. I know SMU was off to a horrible start, but that kind of came out of nowhere.

vCash

Serious question: you think UTSA will beat OSewe this weekend? Especially if Walsh is out for the eight weeks that's been rumored?

vCash

I think Jones, after getting gutted by a combined score of 90-6 and looking at a possible 0-12 season had something to do with not wanting to do this any more. He rebuilt the program to respectability with five years of hard work. Why bother any more?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Jones should go back to Hawaii and retire as coach there. Norm Chow ain't getting it done.

vCash

Taco Tech looked horrible. There wasn't even any home team advantage in El Paso, as the stands were practically empty. TT just isn't any good, unless UTEP is a surprise team this year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by EatLeadCommie View Post
    Taco Tech looked horrible. There wasn't even any home team advantage in El Paso, as the stands were practically empty. TT just isn't any good, unless UTEP is a surprise team this year.
    If UTEP had any passing game at all, they win that game. Their QB looked HS level.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I KNEW that would draw you out!

I don't think I'd have an issue (or even care) if it didn't appear Baylor seems to be continuing to schedule like this. Scheduling SMU for a series is fine, but when that's the most difficult OOC game scheduled, that's pretty bad.

Baylor is a good team, they are the defending conference champions. There's no reason to schedule like that anymore. Period.

We'll see if it plays out, but there's a chance the OOC schedule bites Baylor in the ***. At this point, most everyone (in the media) realized how bad the OOC schedule it, so it's bound to be in the playoff conversation, should Baylor find themselves there.

I'd probably have no issue if Baylor scheduled a Utah or Georgia Tech, teams that suck but at least belong to P5 conferences, but no team as successful as Baylor should EVER schedule an FCS team.
    I'd like to see one solid respectable OOC game per season. Something fun that would really draw the crowds out. Something exactly like a Georgia Tech.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    Serious question: you think UTSA will beat OSewe this weekend? Especially if Walsh is out for the eight weeks that's been rumored?
    UTSA is a scrappy team. If OSU doesn't play good, they will lose.

I've watched UTSA in both of their first two games (they opened with a route of Houston, and played Arizona to the wire), and they are very solid. They have a seriously effective ground game, and a very fundamentally sound defense. What UTSA has been able to do, is bring in the "leftover" talent in the state, and they've quietly done an excellent job of developing talent.

I also believe their location has something to do with it (but, that's for a different thread). Last year, I think Arizona had one of the most prolific offenses in the country (I know they ran more offensive plays than anyone). UTEP did an excellent job of limiting their success. So, I think they match-up pretty well with OSU, especially if Walsh is still out.

I don't know if OSU is any better than Arizona (and if they are, it's not by much), but UTEP put themselves in position to win that game. If I'm a OSU fan (which hurts to even think about), I'm definitely worried about this one.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Yep, UTSA is very similar to schools like UCF and USF in they are large commuter schools with a lot of talent around them. I always thought Coker could build a pretty good program that that is competitive in their conference.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

To (partially) defend Baylor, they don't get the same scheduling advantage from a playoff that some of the other schools do. A "name" program now can afford to schedule a tougher ooc schedule now that 1 early loss is less devastating than it used to be. But a 1-loss Baylor team still is going to have a tough time being selected for a playoff over programs with more prestige. That said, SMU still shouldn't be their toughest game.

I said somewhere that I didn't think OSU would finish among the upper half of the Big XII with Walsh at QB, and I want to reinforce that opinion. Walsh will not be able to stay healthy
    That sounds more like an opinion about where they'll finish without Walsh.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Statalyzer View Post
    To (partially) defend Baylor, they don't get the same scheduling advantage from a playoff that some of the other schools do. A "name" program now can afford to schedule a tougher ooc schedule now that 1 early loss is less devastating than it used to be. But a 1-loss Baylor team still is going to have a tough time being selected for a playoff over programs with more prestige. That said, SMU still shouldn't be their toughest game.

That sounds more like an opinion about where they'll finish without Walsh.
    It's definitely an opinion.

He's been such a big part of their running game, but he either doesn't know how to get down, or just won't, but he's put himself at risk more than once. If OSU is going to finish in the top half of the conference, Walsh won't be the starting QB. That's my opinion, but it's already proving to be valid.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

I think Baylor is banking on getting those W's in non-conference and the Big XII doing well, overall, in non-conference play.
    So basically Baylor's hope of respect pretty much lives or dies this weekend.

Tennessee vs Oklahoma
    UCLA vs Texas
    Maryland vs W. Virginia
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Duke vs Kansas
    Arkansas vs Texas Tech

As it looks ... OU should crush Tennessee but Tech, Kansas, and Texas could all easily fall. The other two are probably tossups at this point.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac94 View Post
    So basically Baylor's hope of respect pretty much lives or dies this weekend.

Tennessee vs Oklahoma
    UCLA vs Texas
    Maryland vs W. Virginia
    Iowa vs Iowa St
    Duke vs Kansas
    Arkansas vs Texas Tech

As it looks ... OU should crush Tennessee but Tech, Kansas, and Texas could all easily fall. The other two are probably tossups at this point.
    There is some truth in that, but I think it is over stated. The OU brand is strong enough to hold up in the face of a weak conference perception. So Baylor's hopes are more dependent on OU being undefeated going into their match-up than the rest of the conference teams. Also, OSU and WVU have already helped conference perception in their opening games even though they came up short.