Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Ravens Cut Rice after video emerges. Turns out it's not cool to hit women.

As soon as the video comes out Gloria Allred is going to be in Norman throwing Molitor Cocktails and demanding expulsion. The equation will be made that if the woman is hit, the punishment must fit.

Or more likely, just OU fans will discuss it ad nauseum and it will show up in some Bryant Gumbel segment about the rash of women beating in sports.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Why else would she defend a man who knocked her out and the whole world has seen it?
    It was likely a mutually assured destruction decision --- neither of us gets to be millionaires if the other doesn't play their part. New wife must play the "I love you and am sorry" in public, NFL franchise running back must play the "good guy messed up and is sorry" in public. Don't you dare dump me baby, or I'll press charges and you'll go to jail. Don't you dare press charges on me baby, or you'll never sniff my millions.

I hope she at least didn't have to sign a prenup after that ordeal

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ton Loc's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    Since we are throwing BS around...

First...the decision should not me made on how many RBs we have or don't have...the decision should be made on what is right and what is wrong.

Secondly, Rice and Mixon are apples to oranges. Rice is a fully grown *** man and this was his 'wife'...clearly a domestic case

Mixon was 18 y/o for all of 2 hrs and the situation was spontaneous lasted all of 5-10 seconds. Not a domestic case a bar room brew haha. The DA clearly stated if it were not a woman, he would not have pressed charges.

Finally, Stoops and Gundy presumable went to Mixon's house and sat with his parents and assured them that OU would take care of their son for the next 3/4 yrs. Not, we will take care of your son until it becomes inconvenient. Mixon is a teenager who should be afforded the opportunity to redeem himself...the university committed to him and he committed to the university.

Just my BS...
    If I was to be honest - I have no need for either one of them. I was just looking at it from a football/business perspective.

Personally - I'd get rid of both of them.
    It takes one to know one, and I know you don't know a damn thing.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    It was likely a mutually assured destruction decision --- neither of us gets to be millionaires if the other doesn't play their part. New wife must play the "I love you and am sorry" in public, NFL franchise running back must play the "good guy messed up and is sorry" in public. Don't you dare dump me baby, or I'll press charges and you'll go to jail. Don't you dare press charges on me baby, or you'll never sniff my millions.

I hope she at least didn't have to sign a prenup after that ordeal
    While all that's plausible, it doesn't seem to be the case here. These people have known each other since high school, so this doesn't appear to be the case of get married to buy his way out of trouble and then split later. Some couples are volatile to the point of violence and it's a difficult situation to handle. The court seemed to be doing what is typical on first time offenses - counseling plus a probation period. I don't understand the outrage over that approach as that's what they would do with a poor couple. If it's a one time drunken rage and they go on to raise a healthy family, the crime is society interfering. If it becomes a pattern of abuse and co-dependency, it a criminal situation with a victim. How can the court tell unless there is known history? No easy answers and I fully understand why so many cops hate responding to domestic violence calls.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

I think it is important to note that a lot of the outrage over Mixon getting a year suspension was due to Ray Rice getting only 2 games for something that was significantly worse in that it involved a woman he was engaged to and no provocation that I can see.

Now that Ray Rice has been effectively ostracized by the public and fired by the NFL, that doesn't make Mixon's punishment fair to me, but it does even things out a bit.

vCash

I guess I don't get it. I would never think of comparing what the NFL does to what a public University does for player punishment. But I readily admit my brain seems works differently than most.

Support Landry Jones! CK Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    When the Mixon tape comes out look for it to be harder for him to come back.
    Punishment for Mixon is already set in stone. Stoops even commented on it after this Rice development and stated that the punishment given to Mixon was correct.

Jackwagon

Support Landry Jones! CK Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    I don't need to defend myself with women, but I am mildly amused by redneck internet 'tough' guys. I would not harm an Old Fat man...
    If a redneck is somebody that can kick your azz, then the Posse must be the biggest rednecks around.

(not in posse)

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by CK Sooner View Post
    If a redneck is somebody that can kick your azz, then the Posse must be the biggest rednecks around.

(not in posse)
    Good grief, go to your room...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bccajun View Post
    A group of us spoke about it when the news broke. The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman. For those that say she caused it. It takes a better man to walk away than turn around and hit her.
    Exactly.

However, Bob has begun to make it a habit of collecting women abusers and dope smokers/dealers as transfers. So, he wasn't ever going to cut Mixon loose.

Seems to me like the draw of playing at OU would appeal to enough great athletes that you wouldn't have to keep someone who is violent towards women on the team. But, Stoops apparently feels differently about it.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner in Tampa View Post
    Since we are throwing BS around...

First...the decision should not me made on how many RBs we have or don't have...the decision should be made on what is right and what is wrong.

Secondly, Rice and Mixon are apples to oranges. Rice is a fully grown *** man and this was his 'wife'...clearly a domestic case

Mixon was 18 y/o for all of 2 hrs and the situation was spontaneous lasted all of 5-10 seconds. Not a domestic case a bar room brew haha. The DA clearly stated if it were not a woman, he would not have pressed charges.

Finally, Stoops and Gundy presumable went to Mixon's house and sat with his parents and assured them that OU would take care of their son for the next 3/4 yrs. Not, we will take care of your son until it becomes inconvenient. Mixon is a teenager who should be afforded the opportunity to redeem himself...the university committed to him and he committed to the university.

Just my BS...
    "Taking care of" their son shouldn't include excusing violence towards women. He should be sitting at home in California calling around to see if Fresno State or Boise State will take him.

Also, I don't recall OU staying committed to Jerry Parks and Charles Thompson after they "committed to the university" then committed crimes.

So, which is it? Because a kid commits to Oklahoma, we ignore all of his criminal activity while he's here? Or, do we go ahead, like adults, and give all commits a standard to live up to and toss them out if they can't live up to it.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    OK, maybe not BET per se.

I'm fairly confident one of us is an idiot and that it ain't me.
    Again, matter ofpersonal opinion.

The biggest difference in the 2 cases isthat Ray Rice committed domestic violence against the woman who he professed to care about. Mixon hit a stranger who assaulted him first who just happened to be a woman.

A huge difference that seems to have escaped your keen observation skills.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Sooner in Tampa's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    "Taking care of" their son shouldn't include excusing violence towards women. He should be sitting at home in California calling around to see if Fresno State or Boise State will take him.

Also, I don't recall OU staying committed to Jerry Parks and Charles Thompson after they "committed to the university" then committed crimes.

So, which is it? Because a kid commits to Oklahoma, we ignore all of his criminal activity while he's here? Or, do we go ahead, like adults, and give all commits a standard to live up to and toss them out if they can't live up to it.
    TDTW...I am glad that the University is not as short sighted as you are when to comes to young men making mistakes.

I seriously doubt that suspending a kid for one year is "excusing violence towards women"...way to pour on the hyperbole...do your work for the four letter network?

Jerry Parks SHOT another player and Charles Thompson was selling cocaine...more hyperbole!! Lets compare apples to apples!!! All crimes are not created equal!

Mixon got into an altercation in a bar (Fact) Mixon overreacted (Fact) He hit a women in the face (Fact) If he had hit a man in the face, we would not be talking about this according the DA (Fact)

The facts are that Mixon was given a **** sammich with no bread and he took a bite when he should have tossed it away...he will pay for it by sitting out a year of college football to include ANY team activities. It may well ruin his career because a year off at his age can be detrimental to development when everybody else is still moving forward (if that is the case, so be it).

I don't expect the university to be committed to felons...apparently I need to elaborate for some of our fine posters. There are certain misgivings that can be punished and the player can be "serve his sentence" and there are misgivings that will earn you immediate dismissal...i.e. Metoyer.

Hitting a mouthy broad in a bar far is less egregious than shooting a teammate, or selling coke, or felony counts of indecent exposure...so lets just keep things in perspective here.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Beanbag View Post
    Six stitches is a pretty decent sized gash.
    Quote Originally Posted by OUthunder View Post
    To hell with Nebraska...they are overrated and irrelevant.

vCash

Delete.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/10/2014 at 05:04 PM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bccajun View Post
    Not at all I'm saying true men don't hit women. Your talking battlefield totally different! I didn't see a war zone in Norman or the elevator did you?
    So you are saying men and women aren't equal physically and it is a stupid idea to allow them in an activity where physical strength is of the utmost importance.

i agree.

Men shouldn't hit women..ever.
    Women shouldn't hit men..ever.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Exactly.

However, Bob has begun to make it a habit of collecting women abusers and dope smokers/dealers as transfers. So, he wasn't ever going to cut Mixon loose.

Seems to me like the draw of playing at OU would appeal to enough great athletes that you wouldn't have to keep someone who is violent towards women on the team. But, Stoops apparently feels differently about it.
    Are you on crack? OU and Stoops have gone far beyond most other D-1 programs in terms of assuring appropriate behavior from all their football athletes. FSU ring a bell?

What a stupid blanket statement to make. You just threw hundreds of former and current upstanding players Stoops has coached and tutored under the bus. OU is very transparent with its aggressive enforcement of NCAA and University rules. Other programs cover this crap up. Bob Stoops is an excellentcaptain of the ship and you look silly making a statement like the one quoted.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/10/2014 at 01:09 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 yankee's Avatar
    vCash

Consider me in the camp that would've been A-OK with Mixon getting the permanent boot from the football team and university.

No, it wasn't a domestic dispute, and no Mixon didn't drag Molitor's body around.

But he decked a girl who was much smaller than him, broke several bones in her face, he fled the scene, and it took her almost a full minute to get back up with the help of her friends.

"Men" who hit women are the lowest of the low in my book. And I put men in quotations because I question whether you are a real man if you hit a woman.

Can't stand people trying to make light of this situation.
    Walk on through the wind, walk on through the rain, tho' your dreams be tossed and blown, walk on.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Well guys, the sh!t is hitting the fan.

A sliver of me wanted to believe that TMZ pulled off something that the NFL didn't, much like the NBA, who has been dying for an excuse to dump Donald Sterling for decades who finally got their TMZ gift.

Who would have thought this would be what ended Roger Goodell. I was thinking it would be concussions or player-owner relations.

vCash

Goodell worshipped at the altar of political correctness. It is somehow fitting that his career will be sacrificed on that altar. I wonder how many more scalps the media will get before interest in this dies down.

vCash

Disclaimer: I have never hit or contemplated hitting a women in my life

All this anguish over the Ray Rice video is totally perplexing to me. The video of him dragging her limp body out of the elevator has been public from day one and it was known she got that way via a punch. So now a video of the punch changes everything? Do people not know what a punch is unless it is shown in pictures? So the message here is that it is ok to wail on your girlfriend as long as it's not caught on video. If she just shows up at the ER with a shiner, you're good to go. I guess print is dead and if it's not on youtube, it's not real (and with CGI these days, it might not be real there either).