Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Ravens Cut Rice after video emerges. Turns out it's not cool to hit women.

after the ravens cut him, his "suspension" is about to get a hell of a lot longer than two games. what nfl team would dare sign him now? there needs to be a cooling off period. at least a season I'd say

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nighttrain12 View Post
    The Mixon video comes out to the general public on November 1st. The thing is, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops have already seen the video (unlike the NFL's Goddell and Ravens management who had not seen the Ray Rice elevator video). I don't see how OU can get rid of Mixon permanently since they can't claim it will be new evidence.
    Is it fact they had seen the video? I thought the DA said he was withholding it since it was evidence. Regardless, we do know the DA met with Boren and Stoops before the suspension was announced, so they had all the information. They also met with Mixon. I personally don't need to see the video to form any opinion. It's been reported in detail by the police report and now by the media guys that have seen it. I know what a punch looks like.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkjsooner View Post
    The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision
    I think that's why she took part in the press conference with her now-husband, why she said the things she did (i.e. "I do deeply regret the role that I played in the incident that night"), why she didn't press charges etc.

There really was a lot for both of them to lose here. Ray Rice was in the midst of a five-year, $35 million contract. I'm sure that signing bonuses and such smudged the numbers a bit, but about $7 million this season alone. Without her support and not pressing charges, I think we'd all agree he would have gotten more than a two-game suspension (unpaid!)

After TMZ ruins another sports career via hidden recording devices, let this be a lesson to the wealthy but stupid: Act like you are being recorded at all times and in all places, or you, too, will be TMZ'd.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerPride View Post
    Did she need surgery?

I think the Mixon video will be worse.

Eye witnesses said you can see his fist deform and break her face.

Expect a firestorm of ugly.
    You could be right but I'm not sure. I think the girl hit on the basketball court by the Texas Tech football player also required surgery and I don't think that incident looks quite as bad as Rice's. It may be because the two had been going at it for a while and were involved in an athletic competition. A late night altercation between a group of people might have a similar feel to it.

In either case, all of these incidents are inexcusable unless actually required to defend oneself. I wouldn't have a problem if the girl was attacking Mixon and he slapped her as a defensive move but there's a big difference between a slap and a closed fist punch.

vCash

That's a bet I'd be willing to take
    I was unaware of ANY BET in my post!
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerBBall's Avatar
    vCash

You could be right but I'm not sure. I think the girl hit on the basketball court by the Texas Tech football player also required surgery and I don't think that incident looks quite as bad as Rice's. It may be because the two had been going at it for a while and were involved in an athletic competition. A late night altercation between a group of people might have a similar feel to it.

In either case, all of these incidents are inexcusable unless actually required to defend oneself. I wouldn't have a problem if the girl was attacking Mixon and he slapped her as a defensive move but there's a big difference between a slap and a closed fist punch.
    Since when should someone defending their person be required to judge the least necessary type of response to stop the assault? That is asinine.
    Why doesn't he ever drop to the turf and sizzle like bacon when he scores? Is that too much to ask? -CobraKai on Adrian Peterson

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    after the ravens cut him, his "suspension" is about to get a hell of a lot longer than two games. what nfl team would dare sign him now? there needs to be a cooling off period. at least a season I'd say
    No team will sign him while his suspension is termed "indefinite". The NFL has to put a number to it and I suspect a team on the bubble for a playoff spot later this season and in need of an RB would consider him "cooled off" enough.

vCash

The NFL is going to have their indefinite suspension slapped down by the player's union (and justifiably so, IMHO), but nobody will sign Ray Rice for the rest of this season unless he goes CFL or something.

Big difference in context between Ray Rice and Joe Mixon. Same end result for the girl.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBBall View Post
    Since when should someone defending their person be required to judge the least necessary type of response to stop the assault? That is asinine.
    Video demonstration: Homer Simpson (playing Krusty) can defend his Krusty burgers against theft, but he cannot kill the thief defending his burgers:

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    I was unaware of ANY BET in my post!
    If and when we see the Vid and its even close to that then Ill say you were right, Until then Ima say you Sir are an Idiot.
    OK, maybe not BET per se.

I'm fairly confident one of us is an idiot and that it ain't me.

vCash

OK, maybe not BET per se.

I'm fairly confident one of us is an idiot and that it ain't me.
    Other than calling you an Idiot for Jumping to so many conclusions about this without ANY facts Im not the one condemning a young man {YET}
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nighttrain12 View Post
    The Mixon video comes out to the general public on November 1st. The thing is, Boren/Castiglione/Stoops have already seen the video (unlike the NFL's Goddell and Ravens management who had not seen the Ray Rice elevator video). I don't see how OU can get rid of Mixon permanently since they can't claim it will be new evidence.
    Scholarships are renewed year to year; they are not four year deals. So, they could cut him loose pretty easily after the season. Kick him off the team, even though he'd still be able to go to school in the spring.

The best thing would be for them to kick him out. Knocking girls out is not funny or excusable. It's sickening that some of you get on here and try to defend athletes punching women. If Joe Mixon isn't man enough to walk away from a mouthy women, then he doesn't need to be at Oklahoma.

The school and football program are far bigger than Joe Mixon and Dorial Green-Beckham. Stoops won his only national title with a running back and a set of receivers considered far less talented than Mixon and Green-Beckham when they signed on.

Hopefully, Stoops remembers that.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Tear Down This Wall's Avatar
    vCash

The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision.

There really is a conflict of interest when it comes to battered spouses. They are in the unfortunate position that if they do what is necessary to protect themselves physically they very well may harm themselves financially.

That of course is true whether it is a millionaire football player or a lower middle class worker. Rice's wife has a lot more to lose but assuming he didn't blow everything (big assumption) she can afford to lose it.

Anyway, I don't know the solution to this part. There probably isn't a good one.
    The solution is, don't hit women.
    "General Secretary Gorbachev, if you seek peace, if you seek prosperity for the Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, if you seek liberalization: Come here to this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, open this gate! Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!"
    President Ronald Reagan at the Berlin Wall, June 12, 1987

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tear Down This Wall View Post
    Scholarships are renewed year to year; they are not four year deals. So, they could cut him loose pretty easily after the season. Kick him off the team, even though he'd still be able to go to school in the spring.

The best thing would be for them to kick him out. Knocking girls out is not funny or excusable. It's sickening that some of you get on here and try to defend athletes punching women. If Joe Mixon isn't man enough to walk away from a mouthy women, then he doesn't need to be at Oklahoma.

The school and football program are far bigger than Joe Mixon and Dorial Green-Beckham. Stoops won his only national title with a running back and a set of receivers considered far less talented than Mixon and Green-Beckham when they signed on.

Hopefully, Stoops remembers that.
    There's an enormous difference between a domestic violence situation and a drunk, strange woman getting physical (and possibly hurling epithets to boot).

Mixon will have served out his punishment after a year. That is more than enough time and I'll be more than happy to have him back with OU.

vCash

The ironic thing is that Rice's wife will pay a financial price for today's suspension decision.

There really is a conflict of interest when it comes to battered spouses. They are in the unfortunate position that if they do what is necessary to protect themselves physically they very well may harm themselves financially.

That of course is true whether it is a millionaire football player or a lower middle class worker. Rice's wife has a lot more to lose but assuming he didn't blow everything (big assumption) she can afford to lose it.

Anyway, I don't know the solution to this part. There probably isn't a good one.
    Which is why the NFL's policy on domestic violence is so stupid, IMHO. With its absolute punishments for domestic violence, it fails to consider any sort of context. It also creates two incentives for the victim in addition to the "don't beat your wife or GF" for the player. One is to not report the incident so as not to cut off her meal ticket, and you can rest assured that a player beating on his woman will remind her of that when she picks up her phone. The other incentive will be for some crazy or estranged ex to hurl allegations to ruin their former meal ticket.

vCash

This.

vCash

A group of us spoke about it when the news broke. The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman. For those that say she caused it. It takes a better man to walk away than turn around and hit her.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bccajun View Post
    A group of us spoke about it when the news broke. The 1 year suspension it's almost saying it's ok to hit a woman. For those that say she caused it. It takes a better man to walk away than turn around and hit her.
    If the video is as disgusting and egregious as the press reports and matches the level of the Rice video (we shall see), then I don't want him on the team.

Not now.
    Not ever.

Let him go someplace else.

I know that may seem harsh.

Too bad.

vCash

This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bccajun View Post
    And Ill wager every one of you 3 think WOMEN should be allowed in Combat.

vCash

Not at all I'm saying true men don't hit women. Your talking battlefield totally different! I didn't see a war zone in Norman or the elevator did you?