SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Have Commercial Airlines Pushed Us Too Far?

Anyone who has flown in the past, say at least two years ago and then more recently can attest, those seats and the amount of surrounding space each passenger is now smaller.

So now there have been what, 3 incidents in the last two weeks over people fighting to keep what little space they bought and paid for from being used up by the person in front of them reclining into it.

Most of us are able to resist the urge to reach out and punch someone when our personal space is invaded but imagine what an ordeal flying is to someone who is the least bit claustrophobic?

My wife who is pretty even tempered was about to hyperventilate last year when while sitting on the ground whoever controls such things turned off the air that blows from those little nozzles above your seat and there we were packed in like sardines unable to even move our feet because we foolishly carried aboard bags to stash under the seat in front of us filled with personal electronics, magazines, snacks and whatever we felt we needed on a cross country flight.

I suppose the only solution is for the airlines to give us back the room by removing those extra seats and charging everyone else $10, $20 or whatever it takes more to account for the lost revenue. I have to think diverting flights is costing them plenty but they better do something to alleviate this because it's only going to get worse.

vCash

Re: Have Commercial Airlines Pushed Us Too Far?

The Airlines and the ****in TSA have ended MY flying. Ill drive or just take Amtrak and be happy
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

I feel like a sardine in regular economy class.

Lately I've been shelling the $$$ for upgrading to extended legroom on red-eye flights and flights over 5 hours.

My usual trick was to buy economy and use miles to upgrade to 1st class on long flights. They're cutting back on those availabilities now.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    I feel like a sardine in regular economy class.

Lately I've been shelling the $$$ for upgrading to extended legroom on red-eye flights and flights over 5 hours.

My usual trick was to buy economy and use miles to upgrade to 1st class on long flights. They're cutting back on those availabilities now.

5-0
    Yeah, I used to fly a lot for business, to the point that I never had to sit in economy class anymore. I barely fly at all now, but it's sad to know I can't upgrade, anyway. I guess doing away with the miles upgrades is a money maker (why else would they do it?), but it sure did make me loyal to my airline. I'd always fly them, even if they didn't offer a good price for the economy seat, because I knew I would be sitting up front. I thought that was good for their bottom-line, and my bottom, but I guess not.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

SoonerFans.com Elite Member BetterSoonerThanLater's Avatar
    vCash

Too bad jetBlue doesn't fly in/out of Oklahoma. All other Domestic airlines are far inferior
    this is bull****

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

One of my earliest flying memories was when the lady in front of my dad fully reclined into his space during a long Chicago to Los Angeles flight. He wasn't too happy, but he also isn't one to talk (or complain) loudly.

I have noticed that seats don't recline nearly as far back as they did a decade or two ago. I've also heard that some airlines disable seats from reclining at all.

The only time I've reclined my seat was during an international flight in the middle of the night. We had more space, the lights were completely out (except for tiny dim bulbs lining the walkway). I'd feel bad doing it otherwise.

Have Commercial Airlines Pushed Us Too Far?
    Much like Walmarts have run ma and pa out of business, consumers have repeatedly said that they'd rather be treated like cattle for a slightly lower fare than treated like high class travelers that paid hundreds per ticket to fly. Until consumers choose higher priced fares in favor of more legroom, better amenities or even disabling reclining seats... standby for standing room flights???

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

Trouble is that seats are getting narrower, less legroom, less distance between rows and prices are going up rather than down.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    Trouble is that seats are getting narrower, less legroom, less distance between rows and prices are going up rather than down.

5-0
    While the general population is getting taller and wider......

Emma's Daddy! SoonerStormchaser's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    While the general population is FATTER......
    FIFY

Or they can just do what Ryanair has done over here in Europe, remove the recline feature all together.

vCash

flying sucks.

i basically need to be going 1000+ miles to fly. driving is so much less of a hassle