Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Something wrong with the AP poll

A number one team is taken into the fourth quarter by an unranked team...Yet the next poll still has the number one team receive 78% of the first place votes, and the unranked team remains unranked.

Based on the information available from what happened in Jerryworld, either FSU shouldn't be the top ranked team or The Pukes should be ranked in the top 25.

Just another reason why polls shouldn't come out until three or four weeks have gone by.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Something wrong with the AP poll

Well, the pokies took us to the wire in '00 and they stunk. Ya never know awight.

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    Well, the pokies took us to the wire in '00 and they stunk. Ya never know awight.
    Some significant things to consider about that…

1. It was a rivalry game
    2. The game was in Stillwater
    3. The Pokes were trying to send Simmons out with a big win
    4. Heupel was suffering from the bursar sac problem

Administrator
    vCash

I watched ESPN's "The Experts" on ESPNU this afternoon, and only 1 of the 4 talking heads had OU ranked in their top 5. What's crazy is that the guy that had OU ranked in the top 5 had Texas A&M ranked #1. These are the kinds of people voting in the AP poll.

The best thing the BCS ever did was remove the AP poll from the equation. Hopefully, the playoff selection committee will ignore them too.

Certainly we know that OU, FSU, A&M, Oregon, etc are good…but I don't think anyone REALLY knows how good….yet. Right now, it's like trying to call a winner before the horses are even in the first turn.

vCash

Its OsEWE who GAS?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Its OsEWE who GAS?
    If you ask them they think they should get an automatic playoff berth just for playing FSU close.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    If you ask them they think they should get an automatic playoff berth just for playing FSU close.
    FSU was just playing with em LOL

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=536023923209624
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Wishboned View Post
    ....you should see their moral victory trophy case! It's awesome!

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The real first poll doesn't come out until late October. The BCS had it right by not publishing rankings until after week 5.

So normally, I don't pay much attention to these early polls, but this one makes the AP look really silly. Both the FSU and Bama games were watched by everyone and both games had extensive post game analysis covering some issue with both teams. Yet the AP has them at 1-2 as if they didn't watch the games. I don't really care where these polls rank teams, but I would expect at least one of them to drop given all the coverage.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I watched ESPN's "The Experts" on ESPNU this afternoon, and only 1 of the 4 talking heads had OU ranked in their top 5. What's crazy is that the guy that had OU ranked in the top 5 had Texas A&M ranked #1. These are the kinds of people voting in the AP poll.

The best thing the BCS ever did was remove the AP poll from the equation. Hopefully, the playoff selection committee will ignore them too.
    That was Brett McMurphy, & he's an OSU grad. How much do you wanna bet he drew the short straw on that one?
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

The media is full of fools. Unfortunately I bet the selection comittee will feel pretty close if not exactly how they do. Everyone can say that Florida State and Bama are overrated, didn't play well, were knocking rust off, etc. I think this once again proves how underrated the big 12, and in turn us, are as a whole.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    A number one team is taken into the fourth quarter by an unranked team...Yet the next poll still has the number one team receive 78% of the first place votes, and the unranked team remains unranked.
    The media doesn't suffer from SEC fatigue like the rest of us, it appears.

vCash

Or it could be the AP writers are like everyone else. They know that polls this early have little value, so they just did a copy/paste on the pre-season stuff and mailed it in w/o any research. But you would think they would care since no one will look at these polls once the real one starts getting published in October.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Funny... the polls this early have as much value as the late ones... none. College football playoff by committee

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Foreplay in Stillwater!
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

OSU isn't ranked but South Carolina is. Does anybody that vote in these polls actually watch the games?

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post

Based on the information available from what happened in Jerryworld, either FSU shouldn't be the top ranked team or The Pukes should be ranked in the top 25.

Just another reason why polls shouldn't come out until three or four weeks have gone by.
    Question: do you really believe that if the polls came out later it would be any different? Here were the ESPN headlines on the news regarding the FSU and Bama games:

1. Alabama rolls in the 2nd half.
    2. FSU plays like a champion.

It's not really shocking, because we already know that ESPN has huge TV contracts with those conferences. And since ESPN is the predominant source for CFB news, it's a no-brainer that the rest of the media will follow, lock-step. It's annoying, yeah, but no sense making a big deal about it. Just hope that OU continues to take care of their business and it'll all be rendered moot.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 TheUnnamedSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Personally, I don't think FSU should be penalized for playing a "quality opponent" for the first game, on the road no less. Kudos to them for scheduling it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnnamedSooner View Post
    Personally, I don't think FSU should be penalized for playing a "quality opponent" for the first game
    I thought they played OSU.