Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: So is Ash history fer the whorns?

They are talking here that Ash will most likely never play another down.

My kid just started going to UNT. I would have loved to have him have some excitement by having his team win. But my need for us to succeed trumped that desire. It was better for us for texass to win. Same with BYU. Strength of schedule is more important than it has been. We need our opponents to beat everyone...except us. No matter how distasteful it is!

vCash

I'm hoping that BYU looks 100% better this week than last. Lots of errors in that game vs. UConn. Who knows? perhaps the QB (Taysom Hill) will have another "career" game against Texass similar to last year's result. As an aside, I think that the horns may just improve with a more mobile QB in Swoopes taking the snaps. Will be interesting to see the final result..
    Boomer

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Most whorns I know think his backup (Swoopes) is the better QB.
    That sounds like most teams in the country. There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option.

The same people that whine about 2nd half performances when the 3rd and 4th string are getting snaps.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option
    I'm sure Cody Thomas' mother loves him more than she loves Trevor Knight

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I'm sure Cody Thomas' mother loves him more than she loves Trevor Knight
    I don't know. Knight is kinda dreamy.

Administrator
    vCash

Horns fans that pay attention aren't convinced Swoops is better than Ash. In fact, most think Swoops has been a letdown. Heard is the guy they are convinced is the second coming of Radio.

vCash

So has anyone said if Ash will try to come back or walk away?
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Gonna be a drawn out process on ash. They'll see how he reacts and continue to give him tests. Also depends on his parents feelings on it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    That sounds like most teams in the country. There's always a contingent of fans that think their guy (the backup) is the better option.

The same people that whine about 2nd half performances when the 3rd and 4th string are getting snaps.
    Idk, I tend to think there is probably a good reason for a lot of that sort of thing. I thought that when White was backing up Hybl. I don't remember thinking that about Heupel...I don't even remember who was backing him up. Landry was in a tough position. We were all spoiled having Bradford under center, following that up had to be frustrating. I doubt anyone ever thought Bradford's backup was better. Well except for Texsa fans.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

I thought that when White was backing up Hybl
    That's because White was a really good QB and Hybl sucked.

I doubt anyone ever thought Bradford's backup was better. Well except for Texsa fans.
    Heh. Although people forget that (in)famous thread came after a spring game in which Bradford really did play poorly and people were saying if that game was representative then Halzle (I think) looked like OU's best shot.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Statalyzer View Post
    That's because White was a really good QB and Hybl sucked
    Say what you will about Nate, but the guy was a warrior...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    Yep. He took some seriously hard hits and kept coming back.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    So has anyone said if Ash will try to come back or walk away?
    Officially, he is out for the BYU game and that's it.

Me, I think he needs to hang it up before he becomes a noodle brain. It really wasn't a matter of if it was going to happen again, but when.

And it did....
    on Big Tex burning....They mentioned this on College Football Live. Pollack asked if it represented the Texas defense. Herbie told him it represented the Texas bandwagon.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cherokeebrewer View Post
    The guy did do us proud in the Rose Bowl. I was there to see it. But he was also the kind of QB who made me want to pull my hair out. One drive he'd be spot on, and the next he'd be making dangerous throws and getting picked. He also had a tendency to go down with the ball instead of getting rid of it. Then again, he was also following up Heupel, who always impressed me with his ability to make quick completions even while pressured.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member FaninAma's Avatar
    vCash

The long term effects of concussions are cumulative. A concerned parent would not encourage their son to play after his 4th concussion. A coach truly concerned about his players' health would not allow a player to play after his 4th concussion. It's amazing that in this day and age with all the focus on brain injuries in football that anybody with any input in the decision making process would allow Ash to step back on the field as a player.

We saw 90 total patients during my last shift in the ER. 11 of the visits were football related injuries.I used to think it would be cool to watch my son play the game. I am now very OK with his decision to concentrate on baseball.
    Last edited by FaninAma; 9/6/2014 at 12:30 AM.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 lexsooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by FaninAma View Post
    The long term effects of concussions are cumulative. A concerned parent would not encourage their son to play after his 4th concussion. A coach truly concerned about his players' health would not allow a player to play after his 4th concussion. It's amazing that in this day and age with all the focus on brain injuries in football that anybody with any input in the decision making process would allow Ash to step back on the field as a player.

We saw 90 total patients during my last shift in the ER. 11 of the visits were football related injuries.I used to think it would be cool to watch my son play the game. I am now very OK with his decision to concentrate on baseball.
    I'm glad a medical person finally stated the obvious. I don't think you have to have a medical background to realize Ash should have retired from football last season. I know the kid wants to play and UT needs him, but it would be irresponsible for him to come back. Correct me if I am wrong, FaninAma, but each concussion has to be evaluated on an individual basis and the medical community now realizes classifying grade I concussions, etc., was totally wrong. In Ash's case, he has experienced concussion symptoms each time he has played since his initial concussion early last season. It would be unconscionable for UT to allow him to play again. You only have to look at the tragic lives of some not so old NFL veterans and retired boxers to realize the dangers of concussions.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

If he keeps playing then at some point he's going to be thankful his name is Ash. With just three letters it won't be as hard to remember how to spell it.

That young man needs to retire.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    I hope Ash recovers fully and has a healthy life. That said, the 2013 RRS will live in infamy in demonstrating how a poor team can knock off a better one.

So I don't care if Michelle Obama is quarterbacking Texsa. The Sooners better make it their personal crusade to exact vengeance on the dastardly horns!
    Then he has a fractured coccyx. That hurts like heck and tends to take a long time to heal.
    Beware the man who would rule you for your own good. He will never cease. He will regulate every aspect of your life, destroy your liberty and enslave you, and sleep well convinced that he has made the world a better place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by lexsooner View Post
    I'm glad a medical person finally stated the obvious. I don't think you have to have a medical background to realize Ash should have retired from football last season. I know the kid wants to play and UT needs him, but it would be irresponsible for him to come back. Correct me if I am wrong, FaninAma, but each concussion has to be evaluated on an individual basis and the medical community now realizes classifying grade I concussions, etc., was totally wrong. In Ash's case, he has experienced concussion symptoms each time he has played since his initial concussion early last season. It would be unconscionable for UT to allow him to play again. You only have to look at the tragic lives of some not so old NFL veterans and retired boxers to realize the dangers of concussions.
    You are correct. And each successive concussion is treated as a more serious injury regardless of his symptoms. Every concussion he has now is automatically considered a grade 3 concussion even without loss of consciousness.