Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Administrator
    vCash

Big XII recap (week one)

The Big XII finished the weekend 6-3 (assuming Baylor finishes off SMU). That wouldn't normally be a "good" weekend of OOC play except two of the loses came against quality competition in fairly close games. Iowa State was the lone dud in what otherwise was a solid opening week for the conference. Here's a rundown of how the weekend played out (minus OU):

North Dakota State 34
    Iowa State 14

I understand that NDSU is the 3 time FCS national champion, and a very good team that knocked off a decent KSU team last year...but c'mon...at least last year it took a 4th quarter TD by NDSU to beat KSU by 3. Iowa State didn't even put up an effort to be proud of, going scoreless in the second half. Mangino's 'potent' offense managed a whopping 253 yards total offense, while the Cyclone defense allowed 503 yards and 34 points. It's going to be a long year in Ames.

Next up for ISU: Kansas State

Alabama 33
    West Virginia 23

There's plenty of discussion on the board about this game, so I'll just add that even though WVU kept it competitive, their defense did allow over 500 yards. Bama isn't exactly an offensive juggernaut, so that could present an issue down the line for the Mountaineers.

Next up for WVU: Towson

Florida State 37
    Oklahoma State 31

Like the WVU/Bama game, there's plenty of discussion elsewhere, but also like WVU I'll add that the Pokes allowed almost 500 yards in offense. It's going to be interesting to see how the OSU defense plays in conference play, but I think it's going to be a struggle against the top of the conference.

Next up for OSU: Missouri State

Kansas State 55
    Stephen F Austin 16

Although the competition was weak, the Cats did exactly what they were supposed to do, win. KSU put up 478 yards of offense (238 passing/240 rushing) in a balanced performance. A little surprising is the yards the KSU defense allowed (294, 225 passing), but what really stood out is that KSU only committed 3 penalties. That's an unheard of stat for an opening game. Kansas State hasn't gotten much media attention, but they are quietly off to a good start and could be a dark horse.

Next up for KSU: Iowa State

Texas 38
    North Texas 7

I didn't watch one second of this game, and haven't seen any replays so I don't know exactly what to think. A win is a win, and I'm sure horn fans are happy to have it. The one statistic that stood out to me was the total yards allowed by Texas (94). I don't know much about North Texas, and don't think they are going to light up the scoreboard weekly, but allowing under 100 yards total offense is impressive regardless of the opponent. North Texas only completed 3 passes (on 17 attempts) for 15 yards. It may, or may not, mean the Texas defense is for real, but it's certainly an impressive start for Strong and the horns.

Next up for Texas: BYU

TCU 48
    Samford 14

There's a lot of unknowns about TCU this year, but they certainly opened the season with a solid performance. Treyvon Boykin is back at QB, and played a great game (320 yards, 3 TDs). Like many of the season opening opponents of lesser notiriaty, I don't know anything about Samford, so it's worth considering the opponent when looking at the final stats, but you can't ask for much more in an opening game. It remains to be seen if the loss of Devonte Fields will cripple the TCU defense, but for one game at least, the TCU defense played well (allowing 148 total yards).

Next up for TCU: Minnesota

Baylor 45
    SMU 0

Pretty much what we expected from Baylor. One interesting takeaway from this game is the injury to Bryce Petty. Initially, it was being referred to as a "bruise". Now, it seems to have evolved to a fracture of some sort in his back. He's listed as day-to-day, but if it's anything to do with a back injury, I doubt he plays Saturday.

Next up for Baylor: Northwestern State (ridiculous)

Texas Tech 42
    Central Arkansas 35

Tech trailed for most of the first half before getting a little breathing room in the third quarter. I think it's safe to say there are issues with Tech's defense this year, as the mighty Central Arkansas Bears were able to pull within one score late in the game. The Red Raiders racket up a ton of offensive yards, but surrendered 406 yards on defense. I don't think Tech will be undefeated for very long this year, and it's possible they drop a game before conference play even starts.

Next up for Tech: UTEP

Off this week: Kansas

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

Re: Big XII recap (week one)

Tech recap: haha u nearly lost to a crappy opponent haha. FREE BAKER MAYFIELD NOW YOU PRIQUES

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Baylor pretty much teabagged SMU for the full 4 quarters. This looks like a strong year in the B12. I wish as a league we had a better slate of nonconference games to show it off, but then again, Baylor is a big part of that problem.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Tech recap: haha u nearly lost to a crappy opponent haha. FREE BAKER MAYFIELD NOW YOU PRIQUES
    I don't know how I missed the Tech recap, next to ISU's loss, that was the big laughter this weekend. Anyway, I've added a brief recap.

vCash

Didn't any references to it on this board yet, but UT not only lost their starting center (& hands down most experienced lineman) but today Strong announced that Ash will not play vs. BYU due to more concussion issues. The competitive side of me would love nothing more than to see OU beat them at full strength, but this time I'm hoping common sense wins out & he hangs up the cleats. There's more important things in life.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Didn't any references to it on this board yet, but UT not only lost their starting center (& hands down most experienced lineman) but today Strong announced that Ash will not play vs. BYU due to more concussion issues. The competitive side of me would love nothing more than to see OU beat them at full strength, but this time I'm hoping common sense wins out & he hangs up the cleats. There's more important things in life.
    I really hope someone has the sense to get in Ash's ear and advise him to hang up the cleats. As a competitor, he probably doesn't want to walk away, but there are a lot of years after football, and he's risking the quality of life for what amounts to 'one more year'. I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but I'd hate to see the kid ruin his life. The hit wasn't even bad, which means his brain is sending a clear message to knock it off.

Sad news too about Espinosa. That's a huge blow to their offense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

What about them Gooners and the cupcake they played? As always.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I really hope someone has the sense to get in Ash's ear and advise him to hang up the cleats. As a competitor, he probably doesn't want to walk away, but there are a lot of years after football, and he's risking the quality of life for what amounts to 'one more year'. I hate Texas as much as the next guy, but I'd hate to see the kid ruin his life. The hit wasn't even bad, which means his brain is sending a clear message to knock it off.

Sad news too about Espinosa. That's a huge blow to their offense.
    True. Ash should hang it up. Way too many concussions that could result in a long term effect if he continues to play.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

How many has it been for Ash? Legitimately concerned for the guy.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    How many has it been for Ash? Legitimately concerned for the guy.
    I think almost everyone that follows CFB feels this way. I saw the video and it was an awkward hit to the top of the helmet as Ash was trying to recover a bad shotgun snap. But it didn't look like a hit that would hurt anyone else and it's been a long time since the last concussion. Very concerning.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

The weird thing is he was fine during the game. I mean, he looked rusty, but in a way that most people expected since he hadn't played in a real game in nearly a year. And apparently during the game, and immediately after, he felt fine. But a couple hours after the game he was about to get in bed and started feeling dizzy and called up the team doctor. This is starting to remind me of OU's 2009 season. Not that Espinoza and Ash are as good as Bradford & Gresham were, but the early injuries to key players and the "we can't catch a break" feeling.

The one statistic that stood out to me was the total yards allowed by Texas (94). I don't know much about North Texas, and don't think they are going to light up the scoreboard weekly, but allowing under 100 yards total offense is impressive regardless of the opponent. North Texas only completed 3 passes (on 17 attempts) for 15 yards. It may, or may not, mean the Texas defense is for real, but it's certainly an impressive start for Strong and the horns.
    First string D only allowed 40 yards and 3 first downs and had 0 missed tackles. UNT's longest play was 8 yards. I don't care who you play, that's good. Especially after leading the Big 12 if not the whole fuggin' world in missed tackles the past two years, it's a nice change. On the downside, our OL, even before the injury to Espinoza, wasn't controlling the LOS very well. I don't think we'll be scoring a lot. We still have the potential to beat anyone on a given day, but most likely only either in 17-13 type games or if the D or ST get scores or returns deep in opposing territory.

vCash

Karma's a biotch.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

While WV and oSu lost the perception is that both teams would be steamrolled by superior competition. Neither the squads are considered to be factors in the Big-12 race and both went toe to toe with one of the SECs top teams and the ACCs top team. Image wise, these two teams helped the Big-12 this weekend ... a lot. Yeah, they lost, but they turned some heads.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

SoonerFans.com Elite Member swardboy's Avatar
    vCash

Assuming WVU and OSU go on to have respectable seasons, does their loss against high quality opponents (AL/FSU) still present OU a "strength of schedule" aspect if we go on to beat them both?
    "I'm going to request that you stop posting in this thread." - circa 2008
    "Why does there have to be so much immature stuff on here?" - circa 2010

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by swardboy View Post
    Assuming WVU and OSU go on to have respectable seasons, does their loss against high quality opponents (AL/FSU) still present OU a "strength of schedule" aspect if we go on to beat them both?
    If the committee is the least bit objective, it should. That's a big if, though.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The bad thing about the Ash situation is that he didn't feel it until later. That's a very bad indication that his brain is hurt. If Strong wants to break the news to him gently, he could sit him 'under evaluation' for a month or so. But if he plays another down of full contact football, his coaches deserve real contempt.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Starter
    vCash

David Ash and his parents need to have a heart to heart talk...football is not worth harming your quality of life.
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Statalyzer View Post
    The weird thing is he was fine during the game. I mean, he looked rusty, but in a way that most people expected since he hadn't played in a real game in nearly a year. And apparently during the game, and immediately after, he felt fine. But a couple hours after the game he was about to get in bed and started feeling dizzy and called up the team doctor. This is starting to remind me of OU's 2009 season. Not that Espinoza and Ash are as good as Bradford & Gresham were, but the early injuries to key players and the "we can't catch a break" feeling.

First string D only allowed 40 yards and 3 first downs and had 0 missed tackles. UNT's longest play was 8 yards. I don't care who you play, that's good. Especially after leading the Big 12 if not the whole fuggin' world in missed tackles the past two years, it's a nice change. On the downside, our OL, even before the injury to Espinoza, wasn't controlling the LOS very well. I don't think we'll be scoring a lot. We still have the potential to beat anyone on a given day, but most likely only either in 17-13 type games or if the D or ST get scores or returns deep in opposing territory.
    I was just reading an article about how Ash's symptoms developed. I didn't realize he played as much as he did, but it sounds like Strong & staff did everything they were supposed to do evaluating him throughout the game. Just a weird ordeal, and I'm sure it's disappointing for Ash.

Not sure what you guys are going to do at QB, but if the defense plays as well as I think they will, Texas should win the games they're supposed to win (if that makes sense).

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

OU: Did we win by enough?
    Baylor: Pinch us we're still dreaming
    KSU: Snyder still coach? Cool we're set then
    Texas: Panic button...
    OSU: Moral victory! Don't like it as much as we did a decade ago
    WVU: Curse words and burnt couches
    Texas Tech: PANIC BUTTON...
    TCU: We won a Rose Bowl a few seasons ago!
    ISU and KU in unison: Is it basketball season yet?

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

OU: Did we win by enough?
    Baylor: Pinch us we're still dreaming
    KSU: Snyder still coach? Cool we're set then
    Texas: Panic button...
    OSU: Moral victory! Don't like it as much as we did a decade ago
    WVU: Curse words and burnt couches
    Texas Tech: PANIC BUTTON...
    TCU: We won a Rose Bowl a few seasons ago!
    ISU and KU in unison: Is it basketball season yet?
    Only one thing here...I like Rhoads and sometime this year ISU
    will break it off in someone they're supposed to lose to. Having
    said that, since OU comes to Ames...well...jus sayin....