Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Just got thru reading a pretty good article on KU FB. Mangino, T. Gill, Weiss

Five seasons ago, KU football started a fall that continues today

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...le1328898.html

I guess an ""enforcer S&C coach and a vigilant AD are a necessity in todays CFB programs. I can't believe they guaranteed T Gill, $10 mil

Some Quotes

Rather, the story of Kansas football is one of crucial missteps, ego clashes and a power vacuum that drove the on-field product into the ground. There was the ugly departure of Mangino, the failed tenure of Turner Gill, more turnover in administration, a sudden scarcity of talent and a general lack of identity and discipline within the program.
    a frustrated Mangino stepped into the hallway and stopped linebacker Arist Wright, still in his practice attire of mesh shorts and a cotton shirt.

“He just blew up,” says Angus Quigley, a former KU linebacker and running back.

The moment quickly escalated. Mangino confronted Wright, poking his chest. Wright knocked Mangino’s hand away, and Mangino continued the tirade.

“Mangino used his hand and pushed him,” Quigley said, “and he told him to his face: ‘You’re done. You’ll never play again.’ And everyone was like: ‘Whoa, what just happened?’”
    Under Mangino, low-level staffers in the football office were often asked to check on star players in class. Meetings were small and tense affairs. Players were told to be on “Hawk Time,” 10 minutes early to everything.

Under Gill, Hawk Time was gone. More and more players skipped tutoring sessions and classes. Players naturally let up, seeing how far they could push the line of acceptability.

“(Guys said) ‘I’m running a little late; I’ll just show up to meetings five minutes late,’” Thorson says. “Those things become cancerous.’”

If Gill’s philosophy was noble, it was also an awful fit.
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 8/31/2014 at 09:30 PM.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Just got thru reading a pretty good article on KU FB. Mangino, T. Gill, Weiss

Mangino was the best thing to ever happen to KU football. They crapped it away; they deserve to be bottom dwellers.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Just got thru reading a pretty good article on KU FB. Mangino, T. Gill, Weiss

Mangino also blew up at the HS refs at one of his son's games...as they left the field at half time. He was revoked of his sideline pass from there on out.

Not saying he wasn't/isn't the best thing to happen to ku football in a long time...but he also stepped out of bounds continually. I see Stoops being just as diligent and committed to running a tight ship, but without the finger poking, yelling type of stuff...Bob just says so it goes...lol. Some guys just are not HC. I think Mike is a perfect example...he needs to be a DC...
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

It reminds me of kids bemoaning strict parents who vow that they'll treat their own kids differently, they'll be their friend.

Well, how did you turn out with strict parents? If you didn't turn out bad, did your parents do such a bad job?

Mangino won, Turner didn't. Sorry jayhawks that wanna be coddled. You were better with a strict parent than a friend

vCash

jayhawk fans really don't GAS about football....seriously...it's all about bball.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

....KU as a football power was an aberration

....it's better this way

ss
    "You can trouble me for a warm glass of shut-the-hell-up"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

KU folks are arrogant. They are the basketball version of Horn fans. Very dismissive of Oklahoma and Okies. I've been around them enough to know.

Elitist pricks for the most part.

vCash

That was an interesting read. Kansas has always been enigmatic when it comes to competing with OU. I still remember the shock of them beating OU in '75. Their fluky win in '84 made me mad. I just didn't get why the KU blue birds would simply roll over for Nebraska every year, yet play the devil out of Oklahoma?

It seems like the "football gods" don't even know what to do with KU.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member picasso's Avatar
    vCash

Well they've also given Texas and oSu fits in their special seasons.

vCash

I don't have a lot of sympathy for Kansas after the Mangino deal. Felt the same about Tech. You can a legendary coach like that and you deserve to twist in the wind for a bit. God knows we've been there ourselves.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by picasso View Post
    KU folks are arrogant. They are the basketball version of Horn fans. Very dismissive of Oklahoma and Okies. I've been around them enough to know.

Elitist pricks for the most part.
    yes for the most part. I do have some good friends that are KU grads...maybe because we are friends..they are more mellow..lol

vCash

I was told by a big KU money person that Turner Gill would always go home by 5:00 ---even during the season

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    I was told by a big KU money person that Turner Gill would always go home by 5:00 ---even during the season
    He never had to work late at Buffalo...no one cared.