Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Re: the Jordan Evens targeting penalty

Perhaps the Miami players were actually attempting to remove those ugly helmets they were wearing. Leading with the helmet in an attempt to dislodge those buckets might have been one of the better ideas -not at risk of any injury, though. Just when I thought that those helmets Maryland wore last year were the worst ever, here comes Miami with a new leader in putrid..
    Boomer

Administrator
    vCash

Didn't see it mentioned, but last night on Stoops' radio show he said he had heard back from the Big XII head official. He said he had asked what he could coach his player to do different in that situation, and was told "nothing, he didn't do anything wrong".

Stoops didn't come out and say it was a bad call, but if the head conference official is saying there was no foul on the play, then it was in essence a bad call.

I really hope we don't have a similar situation in the future. I suspect the official's will always err on the side of the QB (as they did in this case).

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Maybe not necessarily a bad call but rather a perfect example of a flaw in the rule itself.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

Figures. Refs botch the call on the field and Evans gets ejected for his mistake (perceived). They reviewed the film in the booth. They even had time to read the rules if they would have bothered. So what happens to the refs? Nothing. When it's their turn to be accountable it's "hey anybody can make a mistake".

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Stoops did say he thought the reason it was not a penalty was because the QB had become a runner at that point and the Big12 official agreed. But then there is the reality. The refs will always treat the QB differently because they are the only player that is going to slide to avoid contact. Defenders must know it's the QB carrying the ball and respond differently than if it is an RB to avoid the flag. The gray area is true option QBs like the one at Oregon who will eat defenses alive if they don't treat him like a true runner. Just have to have faith the refs will do the right thing in that situation.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Didn't see it mentioned, but last night on Stoops' radio show he said he had heard back from the Big XII head official. He said he had asked what he could coach his player to do different in that situation, and was told "nothing, he didn't do anything wrong".

Stoops didn't come out and say it was a bad call, but if the head conference official is saying there was no foul on the play, then it was in essence a bad call.

I really hope we don't have a similar situation in the future. I suspect the official's will always err on the side of the QB (as they did in this case).
    I think it was a bad call to eject him. I'm not a huge fan of the rule, but I look at it kind of like a late-hit out of bounds play. Sometimes you've got the momentum going and you can't stop yourself in time. In that case, a late hit call, like the targeting call, sucks, but it's the rule. But I think the intent was CLEARLY not to hit the QB like that. He was trying to tackle the QB the way he's been trained (get low, use the shoulder), and the QB ducked into the hit and made himself vulnerable. The "targeting" was as much on the QB as it was on Evans. Hopefully the officials will learn to recognize that for future reference.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Stoops did say he thought the reason it was not a penalty was because the QB had become a runner at that point and the Big12 official agreed. But then there is the reality. The refs will always treat the QB differently because they are the only player that is going to slide to avoid contact. Defenders must know it's the QB carrying the ball and respond differently than if it is an RB to avoid the flag. The gray area is true option QBs like the one at Oregon who will eat defenses alive if they don't treat him like a true runner. Just have to have faith the refs will do the right thing in that situation.
    That's exactly why this will happen again (not necessarily to OU, just a similar call against someone this year). The rule is pretty straight forward that when a QB leaves the pocket and brings the ball down he becomes a runner. However, I think there are officials that will still view him as the QB in the heat of the moment. And make that same call again. Had Evans hit Dixon in a similar way, it would have been nothing more than 4th down.

The rule just needs to be tweeked. If the defender started his commitment to make contact at the same time the QB started his commitment to slide, then the rule shouldn't apply. That's something that can be reviewed on instant replay to clarify. Forcing a kid to leave the game because he made the play he was coached to make is wrong and not what the rule was intended to stop.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin View Post
    I think it was a bad call to eject him. I'm not a huge fan of the rule, but I look at it kind of like a late-hit out of bounds play. Sometimes you've got the momentum going and you can't stop yourself in time. In that case, a late hit call, like the targeting call, sucks, but it's the rule. But I think the intent was CLEARLY not to hit the QB like that. He was trying to tackle the QB the way he's been trained (get low, use the shoulder), and the QB ducked into the hit and made himself vulnerable. The "targeting" was as much on the QB as it was on Evans. Hopefully the officials will learn to recognize that for future reference.
    That's why I think the head official (on the field) should be charged with making the ejection portion of the rule. It's possible there could be a play that results in helmet to helmet contact, and it was incidental. In a case like that, throw the flag, but allow the player to remain in the game. Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

That's exactly why this will happen again (not necessarily to OU, just a similar call against someone this year). The rule is pretty straight forward that when a QB leaves the pocket and brings the ball down he becomes a runner. However, I think there are officials that will still view him as the QB in the heat of the moment. And make that same call again. Had Evans hit Dixon in a similar way, it would have been nothing more than 4th down.

The rule just needs to be tweeked. If the defender started his commitment to make contact at the same time the QB started his commitment to slide, then the rule shouldn't apply. That's something that can be reviewed on instant replay to clarify. Forcing a kid to leave the game because he made the play he was coached to make is wrong and not what the rule was intended to stop.
    Yes it will happen again and that doesn't bother me as long as it's rare. And especially if it's a level playing field! TK could be a true option QB, but we are clearly going to limit his running and instruct him to protect himself instead of trying for a few extra yards. If he gets clocked during a late slide, I expect to see a flag. I'd rather the refs get it right - especially the replay refs. But smug righteousness that the refs got it wrong is not going to help on the field. Defenders must be aware of who has the ball and how things are called.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

That's why I think the head official (on the field) should be charged with making the ejection portion of the rule. It's possible there could be a play that results in helmet to helmet contact, and it was incidental. In a case like that, throw the flag, but allow the player to remain in the game. Doesn't seem like rocket surgery.
    Hehe, I agree 8tc. But no one ever accused the league office of being intelligent...particularly when it comes to Big 12 officials.