SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Perine

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Since we're getting carried away after a game against LA Tech:

Perine = Jim Brown

Ross = Eric Dickerson

Ford = Walter Payton

There! We have three of the best running backs ever, or at least their clones, on our squad. NC or bust!
    Yeah...I'm not too thrilled about averaging 4.6 YPC against LA Tech. Ross looked bad.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Welp, I aint no freakin expert, but, OMG, I wouldn't want to be
    ANY Defensive coach tryin to game plan against OU's running game!
    Now, of course, this only the first game of the season, but, ummm,
    freshmen blockin fer rilly hostile, agile, angry freshmen running backs
    who only want to hurt those in their way can't possibly enjoyable...
    ima jus sayin.....BOOMER, BY GAWD, SOONER!!!!!!

I was at the game, so I'll give my take. Perine has the potential to be a beast. I thought Ford was the most talented back last year, so I will repeat myself for this year. I was also impressed with his pass catching ability. We could have a really dangerous backfield for a few years. I'm looking forward to the trio this season.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Perine really seemed to be only running up the gut so it was hard to tell much on him other than he has the ability to carry tacklers and pretty good feet. Couldn't tell squat about his speed or ability to make dudes miss. He doesn't strike me as that kind of back from what little I saw.

I think he may surprise us on his speed, but as long as he can gain 7 or 8 yards up the gut and carry tacklers for an extra 4 or 5, I don't care.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie35 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by okiewaker View Post
    From what I've seen he's a bowling ball with legs. He's gonna hurt some DBs, or anyone, that gets in his way.

Come to think of it,,,the trio are all punishing running backs. I would definitely exploit the punishment. Can't remember when we've had a trio of runners quite like we have now.
    AD, Allen Patrick and Chris Brown
    I Dont remember those 3 playing the same years together, although I could be wrong.
    Posted from iOS app

vCash

I Dont remember those 3 playing the same years together, although I could be wrong.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 okiewaker's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Nice. Hadn't realized that. Thx for setting me correct.
    Posted from iOS app

Administrator
    vCash

If you get a chance, head over to SoonerSportsTV. Today was the normal game-week press conference and SoonerSports has a one-on-one interview with Perine. Not only does he look (physically) like he could play in the NFL, he doesn't sound like a freshman. The kid has a very bright future.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

Wonderful game for the Sooner running game and having watched Perine last year at Hendrickson HS here in Pflugerville is was really fun to see him this past weekend. The first name that came to my mind was Rodney Thomas ... an A&M running back from the early 1990's ... similar style of play in wanting to power through defenders and deliver punishment.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Everyone should be congratulating the offensive line! They really were great! It was exciting to see the DIFFERENT style of running. Opponents will have a hard time focusing on just one!

Sooner Starter
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yeah...I'm not too thrilled about averaging 4.6 YPC against LA Tech. Ross looked bad.
    He looked pretty good on that kick return...
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Analysis, please. Not trying to pick an argument, but I've heard nothing but praise for him so far; including from former OU RBs and coaches. What did he mess up?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Analysis, please. Not trying to pick an argument, but I've heard nothing but praise for him so far; including from former OU RBs and coaches. What did he mess up?
    His per-carry average was quite a bit lower than Ford and Perine. But overall, saying he looked "bad" is really a stretch. His all-purpose yardage looks pretty darn good.

vCash

Considering the amount of playing time any of the three have actually had at this level and that it was the first game of the year, it seems odd to think of his performance as 'bad'.
    He made a couple of nice runs.
    He caught and advanced a couple of catches.
    He blocked reasonably well (and I'm only shading my words because I was enjoying the game, not breaking down film: I was watching the ball mostly).
    His special teams play was outstanding.
    He didn't fumble.
    He didn't punch anybody.
    He seemed to know what he was supposed to be doing and mostly did it.

I just don't see what there is to skewer him over.

vCash

Yeah, I dunno. The per-carry was the only thing I could see that stood out between the 3, so I was just speculating. I was practically giddy over all 3 of the backs' performances.

The thing that I am very excited about is for the first time in a long time, we have backs who get hit and fall forward and gain an extra yard or two, and this was by all backs. Perine carried several tacklers for three yards a couple of times. We didn't see any slips or stumbles on the cut, and nobody got tapped on the ankle from behind and went down. All three showed balance, power, speed, and determination. What a treat. Maybe the best 1-2-3 punch since Carr, Collins, and Stafford.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Considering the amount of playing time any of the three have actually had at this level and that it was the first game of the year, it seems odd to think of his performance as 'bad'.
    He made a couple of nice runs.
    He caught and advanced a couple of catches.
    He blocked reasonably well (and I'm only shading my words because I was enjoying the game, not breaking down film: I was watching the ball mostly).
    His special teams play was outstanding.
    He didn't fumble.
    He didn't punch anybody.
    He seemed to know what he was supposed to be doing and mostly did it.

I just don't see what there is to skewer him over.
    What you didn't list is "was patient and waited for the hole to develop". As I stated above, Ross is very biased to bouncing it outside. That translates to him getting to the LOS faster than the other 2 backs which works well when you are trying to get to the sidelines, but not so well when you are running up the gut. Its the same problem that Donta Hickson had and why he never really saw the field.

Compare 7:13

vs 1:40:04

Now think about the ridiculousness of the patience of Perine on this run at the 10:00 mark

Now this isn't to say that there weren't other issues. Our guard play was inconsistent as crap with Taylor Evans and Shead having some pretty bad series (Shead in particular was getting pushed 3-4 yards into the backfield).

vCash

Again, I'll stick with giving him something well above a 'bad' grade. He'll take coaching on this or not. For a first game of the season, I'll take it.

Note: I never called any of them Jim Brown.

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post

Now this isn't to say that there weren't other issues. Our guard play was inconsistent as crap with Taylor Evans and Shead having some pretty bad series (Shead in particular was getting pushed 3-4 yards into the backfield).
    I don't remember which play, but in the first half we had the ball and as soon as the ball was snapped we had two DTs in our backfield and I heard some coach on our sideline say something like "no no no god****dammt". I didn't see a replay but clearly we need to work on guard play. it was mostly good but way too much penetration at times.