Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Perine

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: Perine

I had been posting regularly that perine was the guy I was most optimistic about. His size alone makes him an intriguing player built like ronnell lewis. When the mixon thang happened I figured he'd get some early pt. Should be a great year.

Sooner Starter
    vCash

All 3 were very good and took care of the ball. Ford seems to have found an extra gear. Tonka is very very strong and Ross is a difference maker
    "Image is what people think we are. Integrity is what we really are"

SoonerFans.com Elite Member jkm, the stolen pifwafwi's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Again, I'll stick with giving him something well above a 'bad' grade. He'll take coaching on this or not. For a first game of the season, I'll take it.

Note: I never called any of them Jim Brown.
    Remember that we are talking in relation to each other not typical OU talent level (which I think these guys are all above the average there). I just think that Ross's carries will be situational based on the speed of the opposing linebackers. If they are slow-a-foot, then you'll see him more to beat them to the sidelines. Smaller and Faster and they'll just hammer up the gut with Perine/Ford.

One other point, Neal may be the best blocking WR I've seen here in a decade.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sooner91ATL View Post
    I don't remember which play, but in the first half we had the ball and as soon as the ball was snapped we had two DTs in our backfield and I heard some coach on our sideline say something like "no no no god****dammt". I didn't see a replay but clearly we need to work on guard play. it was mostly good but way too much penetration at times.
    I haven't went through the entire game, but through 3 quarters I felt like our overall execution (meaning guys engaged with their assignments) was exceptional. On most every play, there were 8-9 guys engaged with the defense which is honestly unheard of for us until mid-season. The last OL I remember being this sound, this early was the 2003/2004 group. The one noticeable group that was lost were the guards who typically didn't touch anyone when they had a second level assignment (the fact that we are going to the second level now is 3 kinds of awesome). They did engage very well on traps and straight up blocks.

Where it gets worrisome though was the number of those OL engagements that we got stalemated/beat. This is also unusual in that typically at this point of the season our OL, if we find someone to engage, typically win that engagement. The first 2 series, Evans and Shead looked amazing. The third, they looked like they were out of gas. By the second quarter, Savage was in for Evans and he was mauling while Shead was getting pushed back (which created those weird running lanes). For Evans, it may be conditioning (as Kasitati was listed as the starter) or first game jitters but it also might be a talent issue as well. If the former, we'll see a lot of improvement in game 2. If the latter, then we will see more guys in the backfield and we'll have to go back to overload blocking.

The blocking by the WRs was absolutely awesome to see. Nothing like seeing 8-12 yard runs/catches turned into 25-30 yarders because they actually block. We saw a little of this last year, but these guys seem even better at it (on par with the 2004 group).

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by jkm, the stolen pifwafwi View Post
    If I were to characterize them

Ross - Donta Hickson Clone - biased vision towards the sideline (he wants to bounce everything outside), good out of the backfield.
    Ford - Fazande - seems to have tunnel vision resulting in some very straight runs, but very good at avoiding tacklers within his run path.
    Perine - Jerome Bettis - he adjusts enough to where tacklers always seem to be off center when they hit him resulting in some people getting shrugged off or run over.

After one game, I'd say they are enough alike to keep defenses honest and enough different that you can really catch a defense in a bind trying to sub around them.
    As I was watching him run, I was thinking that Perine reminded me of Gerald Moore, but with a Jermaine Fazande physique.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    Perine reminds me of Jerald Moore.

I like what i see in Ford.

Ross reminds me of former CU RB CHris Brown. very upright running style. big and fast.
    LOL, exactly what I was thinking about Perine. Looks like Fazande, runs like Moore.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 hawaii 5-0's Avatar
    vCash

When I saw Perine I thot of Rotnei Anderson.

5-0
    BOY HOWDY !!!!

Administrator
    vCash

Remember that we are talking in relation to each other not typical OU talent level (which I think these guys are all above the average there). I just think that Ross's carries will be situational based on the speed of the opposing linebackers. If they are slow-a-foot, then you'll see him more to beat them to the sidelines. Smaller and Faster and they'll just hammer up the gut with Perine/Ford.

One other point, Neal may be the best blocking WR I've seen here in a decade.
    Agreed.

It's pretty clear he got really serious about it over the summer. I was a little concerned with how our WRs would block since we lost Saunders (who was pretty damn good at it), but Neal really looked exceptional in his blocking ability Saturday. KJ Young didn't do bad either, but he's just a victim on inexperience. Young reminds me of Broyles as a freshman.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

No argument from me on that.
    Now, was it Ford who I DID see exhibit a very nice pause at the line as the blocking defined a hole? Sometime in the first half, I believe. Sorry, but I had a whole teevee room of people who insisted on jabbering the whole game.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I thought Ford showed good patience on several runs.
    A big positive is having both Ross and Ford being able to catch out of the backfield. Also, TK threw very nice balls on those long swing passes. Good lead to let the RB catch it in stride and a little touch on it to make it easier to catch. Compare that to TKs first 2 games last year where he couldn't connect with wide open swing passes or bubble screens and he has made huge strides.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I thought Ford showed good patience on several runs.
    A big positive is having both Ross and Ford being able to catch out of the backfield. Also, TK threw very nice balls on those long swing passes. Good lead to let the RB catch it in stride and a little touch on it to make it easier to catch. Compare that to TKs first 2 games last year where he couldn't connect with wide open swing passes or bubble screens and he has made huge strides.
    Adding that brought Knight to full Nate Hybl status -> Amazingly accurate on high degree of difficulty passes like the fade and corner route and amazingly inaccurate on easy throws like digs and slants.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 CatfishSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Adding that brought Knight to full Nate Hybl status -> Amazingly accurate on high degree of difficulty passes like the fade and corner route and amazingly inaccurate on easy throws like digs and slants.
    Nate F'n Hybl... gotta be kiddin me
    Wakey Wakey Eggs & Bakey...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerObsession's Avatar
    vCash

After coveting Alabama's Derrick Henry all day and wondering why the heck he doesn't get the ball 30+ times a game, I came away from the OU game feeling fantastic about our trio. It should be a great year for our running game!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerObsession View Post
    After coveting Alabama's Derrick Henry all day and wondering why the heck he doesn't get the ball 30+ times a game, I came away from the OU game feeling fantastic about our trio. It should be a great year for our running game!
    Speaking of which, it was down to OU & Bama for Perine's services. Can you imagine pairing him with Henry?
    Last edited by Salt City Sooner; 9/2/2014 at 11:33 PM.
    Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Speaking of which, it was down to OU & Bama for Perine's services. Can you imagine pairing him with Henry?
    Yeah, I can. It'd look something like, oh, Perine and Ford

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 sendbaht's Avatar
    vCash

FORD will be a super star.....