Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: So how good is OSU, and W. Virginia? I wasn't at all concerned about these teams

Quote Originally Posted by freshchris05 View Post
    Thats funny I thought Alabama looked overrated and fsu looked rusty. Alabama didn't look to have the physicality they usually do.
    Just to correct myself, by rusty, I meant they needed more reps.

FSU brought back their Heisman trophy winning quarterback, 4 of its starting OL, a RB who ran for over 700 yards and 11 TDs, and their leading WR. They should have been able to hit the ground running with that, but they didn't. Perhaps it was rust, but the way OSU dominated their offense at the line of scrimmage concerns me.

Alabama, on the other hand, thoroughly dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Yeldon and Henry took turns running over WVU all day. They're breaking in a new QB, so it's expected that they'll look a little sloppy at times in the non-conference. To say Alabama's defense struggled is quite an overstatement. They didn't look as good as they have in previous years, but let's be honest, we're comparing them to some historically good defenses. They only gave up 16 points, and almost all of WVU's offense came in the first 20 minutes. Alabama adjusted, and the only real concern is that they couldn't guard Kevin White. Time will tell on this, but White looks like he's headed for an All-Conference 1st team kind of year. I don't see Sanchez shutting him down.

Administrator
    vCash

Re: So how good is OSU, and W. Virginia? I wasn't at all concerned about these teams

Alabama has come back to the pack. WVU played a much better game than I was expecting, but I thought Bama just looked sluggish. For as much crap as McCarron got about just being a "game manager", his absence is definitely noticeable. Bama will be fine (and their new QB looked pretty good), but Saban's refusal to adopt any part of the quicker paced offense along with losing some excellent talent certainly has brought Bama back down to earth. They're still pretty damn good though.

OSU just played good. I can't help but think FSU (players) didn't take OSU very seriously. Can't really blame them, considering how much OSU was replacing, but they gave the defending national champs all they could handle. FSU won't go undefeated this year. OSU played a good game, but they aren't going to maintain that week in and week out. They're too young, and Walsh played over his head. Speaking of Walsh, I doubt the kid will make it to the end of the season to even see OU. He takes a lot of risks (which really helped keep OSU in the game, but also probably cost them), but he's not going to be able to take a beating every week and make it to November.

The bottom line is you can't tell much about how OU will match up with these teams based on one game. But, both teams looked better than expected.

vCash

I wonder if Bama doesn't have too much talent. If they aren't in a position where they think it's just supposed to happen for them because they're all all-americans, can't miss pros, etc...
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Okie35's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    I wonder if Bama doesn't have too much talent. If they aren't in a position where they think it's just supposed to happen for them because they're all all-americans, can't miss pros, etc...
    Yes they have busts... Sylve is one that Bama fans pointed out a lot yesterday.
    "If you're going to be at Oklahoma, you need to win, you need to contribute, you need to do all the little things to make this team succeed.'" T-Lew

vCash

More what I'm talking about is when all those guys are supposed to be so damn good coming out of HS, they may not have enough of the guys that are all heart and working hard - the kind of stuff that even teams with lots of talent need to achieve that something extra. in other words: does Bama have too much talent for its own good?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Alabama has come back to the pack. WVU played a much better game than I was expecting, but I thought Bama just looked sluggish. For as much crap as McCarron got about just being a "game manager", his absence is definitely noticeable. Bama will be fine (and their new QB looked pretty good), but Saban's refusal to adopt any part of the quicker paced offense along with losing some excellent talent certainly has brought Bama back down to earth. They're still pretty damn good though.
    Honestly, I don't mind the idea of sticking to their guns offensively. Their ability to line up and run people over is becoming rarer and rarer, and I think that's only going to make it more valuable. They're already bullying these SEC defenses consistently for 6 YPC as it is. As these defenses adjust for pass-happy attacks like A&M's, they're only going to get worse against the run, so I could see Alabama gashing teams for 7 or 8 yards a carry in the near future.

He's definitely going to have to adjust his defense, though.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    More what I'm talking about is when all those guys are supposed to be so damn good coming out of HS, they may not have enough of the guys that are all heart and working hard - the kind of stuff that even teams with lots of talent need to achieve that something extra. in other words: does Bama have too much talent for its own good?
    To some extent, the SEC is "cracking down" on that whole scam about offering more scholarships than you have and then running off the guys who don't work hard enough to earn a spot. I think Alabama is getting stuck with a couple guys they normally would've run off, but they still oversign pretty strongly.

vCash

OSU and WVU held up much better against pre-seaon #1&2 teams than expected (especially OSU!). Baylor and KSU held serve. The horns D held SMU to less than 100 yards offense. And the Vols, who are supposed to be weak in the trenches put a whuppin' on Utah State.

I don't think SOS perception is going to be a problem for us at all this year - it will come down to winning our games. One more warm-up and then bring on the Vols!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

The Whorns played North Texas.....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bluedogok View Post
    The Whorns played North Texas.....
    Hes a Lib bro, Ya got to make allowances fer em some times .
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    Hes a Lib bro, Ya got to make allowances fer em some times .
    Only thing libs know about football is that they like tight ends.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

Love me some tight ends - so where was Blake Bell?

I know it was just North Texas (and just Louisiana Tech, BTW). I just know that a good defense can win games by themselves. We almost took out the horns in '09 without any offense to speak of and they played for the title. If UT ends up wining 8 games, we get a quality win unless we do a repeat on last year. Add the fact FSU, Bama and UCLA looking very vulnerable, the big12 ain't looking bad. I didn't have to ask my lib friends to come up with that. But just week 1, and OUr guys still have lots to work out to get better.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Just to correct myself, by rusty, I meant they needed more reps.

FSU brought back their Heisman trophy winning quarterback, 4 of its starting OL, a RB who ran for over 700 yards and 11 TDs, and their leading WR. They should have been able to hit the ground running with that, but they didn't. Perhaps it was rust, but the way OSU dominated their offense at the line of scrimmage concerns me.

Alabama, on the other hand, thoroughly dominated the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. Yeldon and Henry took turns running over WVU all day. They're breaking in a new QB, so it's expected that they'll look a little sloppy at times in the non-conference. To say Alabama's defense struggled is quite an overstatement. They didn't look as good as they have in previous years, but let's be honest, we're comparing them to some historically good defenses. They only gave up 16 points, and almost all of WVU's offense came in the first 20 minutes. Alabama adjusted, and the only real concern is that they couldn't guard Kevin White. Time will tell on this, but White looks like he's headed for an All-Conference 1st team kind of year. I don't see Sanchez shutting him down.
    I think we watched different games. Alabama won the game by making plays on third down and because they had better receivers. West Virginia had several crucial drops. In the trenches, it was a stalemate for the first 3 quarters. Bama finally imposed their will when they wore down WVU. I was surprised bama wasn't able to physically dominate up front before that time. I'm sure Bama will improve but wouldn't be surprised to see them lose 2 or 3 games this year.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

OU gave West Virginia a blue print on how to play Alabama. But OU has more talent now than Alabama does, and we know how to play West Virginia. It will be interesting, but let's play one game at a time. Can't wait! I LOVE THIS GAME!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

not related to OSU or WVU, but to Tennessee...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...l-out-for-year

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Statalyzer's Avatar
    vCash

Funny, if it weren't for them being different races, I might not have noticed that the Alabama QB wasn't Wilson I mean McElroy I mean McCarron.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Bourbon St Sooner View Post
    I think we watched different games...In the trenches, it was a stalemate for the first 3 quarters. Bama finally imposed their will when they wore down WVU. I was surprised bama wasn't able to physically dominate up front before that time.
    Yeah, I think we did watch different games. In the game I watched, Alabama had 14 carries for 75 yards in the 4th quarter (5.36 YPC). In the first 3 quarters, Alabama had 35 carries for 213 yards (6.09 ypc). This is the first time the two schools have ever played, so I'm not sure which game you watched.