Administrator
    vCash

Louisiana Tech - What to know

I haven't really spent much time looking at La Tech, but I figured I'd pass along a little information about them.

Offense (ranked 98th in the country in 2013)

Quarterback - #19 Cody Sokol (senior)

The Bulldogs are starting a senior at QB (Cody Sokol), however, this is his first FBS game. He started at a community college before going to Iowa. Due to lack of playing time, he transferred to La Tech. From what I've been able to find, Sokol has a fairly strong arm and holds the record for passing yards at Scottsdale Community College. The only film I could really find was from last year's Iowa Spring practice. Sokol appears to have a nice touch on the ball, and a fairly quick release although he does seem to struggle a little with accuracy on the deep ball. Sokol isn't a mobile QB, but isn't a lumbering guy so he can makes plays with his feet if given the opportunity.

Runningback - #28 Kenneth Dixon (junior)

If you're looking for the best player on La Tech's defense, this is your guy. Dixon isn't tall (5'10"), but is big and runs with a lot of power. Dixon has played a lot of football in his first two years with Tech, and has averaged right at 1,000 yards on the ground. The Bulldog's haven't used Dixon much in the passing game, but he is capable of being productive when targeted.

Wide Reciever(s)

I haven't spent any time reviewing the La Tech receiving corps, so I'll just post their offensive numbers from last year (for the projected starting 3 only):

#4 Sterling Griffin (rs-senior) 33 receptions/357 yards 2 TDs
    #9 Connor Smith (rs-sophomore) 1 reception/9 yards 0 TDs
    #33 Hunter Lee (senior) 16 receptions/191 yards 1 TD

Those are the projected starters at WR, and it looks like they didn't pass the ball a lot last year. Smith is the only newcomer to the group (only seeing time in 1 game last year), so it could be interesting. Tech also suspended a couple of WRs for this game, but neither was expected to play a lot.

My take-away

Based on the limited information I have on La Tech, it looks like they could be in for a long night Saturday. A new QB, starting his first FBS game is just one of several issues the Bulldogs will have to overcome. It looks like La Tech will depend on their running game to try and run the clock, and keep it close. Kenneth Dixon appears to be a very good running back, but the Bulldogs are young/inexperienced along the line and that could be troublesome.

If La Tech can't establish a running game, it's going to put a tremendous amount of pressure on an untested QB (and inexperienced WR corps). The Bulldog offensive line will have to gel quickly if they are going to give the Sooners a game.

Defense (ranked 70th in the country in 2013)

I haven't seen much of anything about the La Tech defense other than this will be the first year for new defensive coordinator Manny Diaz (yep, the same one!). Diaz didn't do so well against OU while he was at Texas, and the level of talent has to be a notch below what he was working with while in Austin. While Diaz didn't endear himself to Longhorn fans, he has taken over a defense that finished 2013 ranked 91st against the run (allowing an average of 195 yards a game) and 30th in passing defense (allowing 118 yards a game). The Bulldogs return 6 of the starting front 7, and did play pretty good passing defense in 2013.

Conclusion

On paper, the Sooners should have this game wrapped up by half time. The only way La Tech stays in this game is if they can establish a ground game early...that could be a problem. If you wanted to point out a strength of OU's defense, it would be the front 7, and that could be trouble for the Bulldogs. If they can't get the ground game going, then they will have to rely on an untested QB with inexperienced receivers, and a young/inexperienced line. Not a good combination.

Defensively, the Bulldogs could cause some issues in the passing game, but unless they can stop the run early, they'll be forced to bring guys down to help and that could really strain their secondary. Twice this week, I've heard Manny Diaz's defense referred to as "complicated" (once by the La Tech coach, and once by a player). Complex defenses can be really, really good...or...really, really bad. Being the first game of the year, with a new defensive coordinator/scheme, the Sooners could put a lot of points on the scoreboard.

Last year, OU opened with Loisiana Monroe, a team coming off of a solid previous season and a proven, senior QB. Tech has neither of those. ULM tested OU early, and gave the Sooners some competition for the first 2 1/2 quarters. I don't think La Tech is anywhere near what ULM was this time last year. I do think Tech has a solid player in RB Dixon, but I just don't think he's going to have much space to show his talent. Defensively, I think the Sooners swarm the football and force Tech to the air...that's not going to end well for Tech. Offensively, the Sooners should be able to pound the ball and force Tech to stack the box...again, not a good thing for Tech.

La Tech is outmanned at every position on the field (except maybe at RB, and that's due to inexperience at the position for OU). I don't think Skip Holtz will outcoach Stoops, so I believe this game will get ugly early.

vCash

Re: Louisiana Tech - What to know

This should be a cake walk, But If we aint sharp on both sides of the Ball and do what BYU is doing now (11 penalties so far in the 1st 1/2) we could stink it up.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

... so I believe this game will get beautiful early.
    -ED

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by olevetonahill View Post
    This should be a cake walk, But If we aint sharp on both sides of the Ball and do what BYU is doing now (11 penalties so far in the 1st 1/2) we could stink it up.
    Penalties are the variable. IF we can come out and avoid dumb penalties (I expect there to be the "first game of the year" stuff), then this will be a yawner.

BYU would be up far more if it weren't for the penalties.

Administrator
    vCash

Initially, I wasn't sure OU could cover the spread on this one (38), but the more I look at La Tech, the more I think they could do it.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Initially, I wasn't sure OU could cover the spread on this one (38), but the more I look at La Tech, the more I think they could do it.
    Ive learned my Lesson on bettin on OU to cover these big assed spreads, If I dont bet on em they double cover the spread If I bet on em They never cover
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Blue's Avatar
    vCash

Blowout City Tmmrw night. The defense is gonna run wild.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Blowout City Tmmrw night. The defense is gonna run wild.
    I Like yer thinkin

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

I'm ready to roll down there right now. Nothing beats a game day in Norman. It won't be much of a game but I'm really looking forward to seeing how our boys have progressed since the Bama spankin. Finally time to see what I think about year round. Amen.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

manny diaz is their DC. history is not on his side. Landry won't be playing for us, better or worse. say what you want about Landry (and there is a lot to say)....but Manny Diaz, ok.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Administrator

vCash

Bless your hearts, you people just don't get it. Louisiana Tech is going to run all over us. They are going to wipe the field with us. They are going to turn Owen Field into a heap of rubble. Our babies will cry, the women will flee into the woods while the rest of us will just sit with a blank stare, pondering our national title hopes that just got dashed against the jagged rocks below.

We will be lucky if we get a first down.
    We are here to pistol whip, shoe whip, imprison and torture. We are Phil, Beano, Norm, Dean, David Earl a.k.a. Deacon plus a bunch of ruthless mods. GADOCADWI

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Ive learned my Lesson on bettin on OU to cover these big assed spreads, If I dont bet on em they double cover the spread If I bet on em They never cover
    lol...yup...same here...never fails~
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

So, did you or didn't you?