Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Re: I used to watch Oklahoma WAY BACK IN THE DAY.

My first true memory was beating penn state in 85. I was hugging the toilet in between plays. Great memory indeed.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by King Crimson View Post
    yer parents weren't watching that game? when did you have to bed...? 7 pm? they wouldn't let you watch that game? my parents would have had me up and all up in that. i learned Sooner from my fam.
    I don't remember what time the game started, but it was a night game, so it probably lasted until 10 or 11. The game was on in our living room. I was silently watching from under the tree (which was in the corner).

SoonerFans.com Elite Member bluedogok's Avatar
    vCash

Back in the day was when only one or two games a year were on TV. My first recollection was the Mildren era, don't remember Steve Owens.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    I guess "back in the day" has different meanings for everyone.
    Yeah, I thought we were going to hear about "Split T" and "47 straight;" and we got Rocky Calmus and Bobby Bowden. Man, I still wear my Rocky jersey sometimes.
    Nebraska and Oklahoma made up one of the greatest college football rivalries of all time. They played every year between 1928-97, and two times every four years since then. Their games in the Big Eight decided the conference championship 16 of 19 times between 1970-88. OU leads the series 44-38-3. --The Associated Press, December 1, 2010

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

What amazes me is that people thinking Rocky & Teddy are back in the day also only know KSU as a good football team and the Nebraska games are ancient.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by hawaii 5-0 View Post
    My 'back in the day" was Granville Liggins, Bob Warmack, and Jim Weatherall.

I knew of Sooner Football before then but didn't follow them closely till then. Too young to follow Tommy McDonald.

5-0
    If Tommy was available for the Wishbone, he would have been Heisman,
    AA, All world!..The King would have creamed his jeans with Mack in the
    'Bone. Bud was such a gentleman that he would have pulled his starters
    in the SECOND quarter, just so he could keep all his horses happy...the
    King would have just put mustard on the second half hot dogs...ah, yeah,
    "back in the day"....doncha luv it! BOOMER!...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

The newer Sooner fans didn't have to suffer through the Dark 90s much. But they sure missed out on the glory days of the Wishbone! Guess the young 'uns gotta take the good with the bad...

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Eielson View Post
    Yeah, you guys are old. I remember watching the Big XII Championship game against K-State that year from under a Christmas tree. The reason, of course, was that it was past my bedtime and I didn't want my parents to know I wasn't in my room.
    danm, you are young...lol
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

so many memories....

my aunts and uncle going absolutely bonkers during games...that was my introduction to OU football, early 70's. Riding in the station wagon, in the very back, cold pre-thanksgiving night, headed to Medford....with my cardboard sign in the back declaring OU 43 nu 3...
    my grandpa watching the games....going to the HS football field with all the relatives after the OU/nu game and playin football...
    going to my first OU game against isu I believe in the mid 70's...won like 63-3, grass parking south of the stadium, I carried in the cooler with pop on top, beer underneath...1985 Orange Bowl...

Life was simple and good. I feel for the kids today..but I guess it's all perspective.
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!