Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Re: Thursday College Football

I agree with most of that, 8time.

Hill still looked good, even if the SC defense helped him. Multiple times, I could see him going through is reads quickly and making the right choice. It wasn't always the first guy that was open. If he can do that in a first start, in a big game on the road, I expect him to be solid.

First games can be weird. I fully expect that to be the worst showing by SC defense in both points and yards for the season.

A&M will put up points against almost everyone, but I'm sure a few coaches will come up with schemes to give them problems. And when that happens, their weak defense will cost them the game.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac94 View Post
    Can't disagree at all. The positive for us is that the defense had some moments of good play. Game one last year against Rice was a disaster and if just never got better. Yesterday we infused the defense with a number of freshman and while there we blown assignments and big plays given up ... there was also streaks of solid defensive play that can be built upon. And the schedule now allows us to work on us before we face Arkansas and the Mississippi schools. As the season goes on the youngsters should continue to get better.

A&M shouldn't win the west this year ... but coming into the season I was thinking we'd be looking at a 7-5 transition yr between Manziel and the coming of age of our recruiting classes. Last night gives hope that we can win 8 .. 9 ... maybe 10 if things go right. Really nice for a transition year.
    I really thought this would be a 6-6 kind of year for you guys, but after watching last night's game, I think this could be a 9-10 win year for the Aggies. I knew Hill was a great athlete (OU recruited him too), but you never know how that translates to the college level. He looked very poised the entire game. You guys will cause fits in the SEC with your offense.

What impressed me the most about Hill was his commitment to throwing the ball. There were many times he could have pulled it down and ran, but he was really determined to win with his arm. That's not very common from a kid that young, starting his first game.

A&M has a very good D-line, and there are some players in the secondary that are very gifted. Now it's just a matter of gaining experience, which will just take some time. Like you said, there were some streaks of solid defensive play, so there's certainly something to build on and look forward to, and that's got to be exciting (especially after last year's defense).

A&M could very well contend for the west, but I'll need to see some more football before I'm sold.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I agree with most of that, 8time.

Hill still looked good, even if the SC defense helped him. Multiple times, I could see him going through is reads quickly and making the right choice. It wasn't always the first guy that was open. If he can do that in a first start, in a big game on the road, I expect him to be solid.

First games can be weird. I fully expect that to be the worst showing by SC defense in both points and yards for the season.

A&M will put up points against almost everyone, but I'm sure a few coaches will come up with schemes to give them problems. And when that happens, their weak defense will cost them the game.
    I wasn't so much shocked that A&M won, it was more that SC looked so bad. Some of that is because A&M played well, and some of it is because Carolina just played bad. Like you said, first games are weird, so it's hard to project the season based on what we saw.

I just wonder why S. Carolina was ranked so high coming into the season. Clearly they have a lot of question marks, and it's going to be interesting to see how they respond after this loss.

I read somewhere that they switched to the 3-4 defense this year. I'm sure it was done in preparation of the high scoring offenses starting to show up in the SEC, but there's going to be some growing pains.

vCash

I just wonder why S. Carolina was ranked so high coming into the season. Clearly they have a lot of question marks, and it's going to be interesting to see how they respond after this loss.
    Easy - Spurrier. He had led them to three 11 wins seasons in a row. I remember us being ranked in the teens before the '05 season after we graduated *everybody*. That was just the Stoops and OU brand in play. (Or else folks thought that AD could play offense, defense and special teams).

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Easy - Spurrier. He had led them to three 11 wins seasons in a row. I remember us being ranked in the teens before the '05 season after we graduated *everybody*. That was just the Stoops and OU brand in play. (Or else folks thought that AD could play offense, defense and special teams).
    Just another example why preseason polls are worthless.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    Just another example why preseason polls are worthless.
    Maybe not worthless for all the guys that stole money from the eUSC homers on the betting line.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

A&M could very well contend for the west, but I'll need to see some more football before I'm sold.
    I'll leave it to the more rabid texagers to predict western conference runs and more for this year. I just want us to play hard and improve week to week. Auburn, Bama, and LSU will be very tough ... and with our youth mistakes should be expected. But I like the attitude the kids showed and the defensive effort.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless