Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Thursday College Football

Tulsa just tied up Tulane 28-28 late in the 4th...

vCash

and then a Tulane back pops one for 73 yds....1st and goal...

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

LOL
    With 20 secs to go in the half and the announcers saying that it's not Leach's personality to take a knee, he throws it from his own 10 yard line and is still throwing it. Gets it up to the 50 and then a Rutgers player gets a stupid personal foul penalty with 1 second left in the half. It gives Washington ST. a chance for a long FG, but they barely missed it.

21-17 Rutgers at the half.

Support Landry Jones! CK Sooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac94 View Post
    A&M does not have Oklahoma's history ... we haven't been one of the "blue bloods" of college football. I was on campus in the late 80's and early 90's when we were the big fish in the little SWC pond ... wanting to be a national power but never quite breaking down the door. Then came the Big-12 and for the most part A&M languished in the shadows nationally ... and even in the state of Texas. I don't know what A&M will be in the SEC ... but what we have done is more than so many gave us a chance to do. Top 5 finish ... a Heisman ... national pub like we've never gotten in our history ... recruiting classes like we've not really seen before. We may have been a joke at times ... but right now ... it seems to be us Aggies laughing more than anyone else.
    Again 8-4 and all A&M has done this year is played one game and beat a sub par SC.

Just saying...lets not get excited over 1 game.

First real test A&M has is Bama...we got a long time until that happens. If A&M beats Bama then I will say they are for real.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Wishboned's Avatar
    vCash

TU/Tulane in OT.
    Surrender is not a Ranger word

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

Again 8-4 and all A&M has done this year is played one game and beat a sub par SC.

Just saying...lets not get excited over 1 game.

First real test A&M has is Bama...we got a long time until that happens. If A&M beats Bama then I will say they are for real.
    I agree in that it's one game ... at the same time ... A&M has positioned itself to be something it hasn't really been in the modern era ... and that's really relevent nationally. You say 8-4 ... but remember ... when the SEC move was announced so many were saying A&M would be more like a 4-8 SEC team. That we'd get out heads smashed in week in and week out. So far we've done just fine ... certainly on par with some of our better years in the Big-12 while getting much more national attention and a huge recruiting boost.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless

vCash

Tulsa wins! 38-31

I dont think the SEC is going to invite any more Big 12 teams into there conference

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerMarkVA View Post
    Sumlin keeps this up, and he's going to be the hottest commodity in the country. The whole "it's just JFF" claim will go out the window.

I'd love for him to get a job at a top tradition power.
    better yet a pro team
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I know CFB fans like to spew when their team does well. I just remember that 1st games are sort of like bowl games with a lot of time to prepare.
    I'm sure Spurrier (sp-?) or his DC didn't dream that a 1st year starter at QB would throw the ball ~ 60 times in this ball game and not throw a pick. The same for Saben and the 'Bama DC in the Sugar Bowl with TK having a career night.
    In these type of games, you're never as good as you might look, and never as bad as you might have played, although it's fun to win one and declare your team as the Mohammed Ali of CFB, the greatest.
    This is what is exactly different this year. While the 4 teams will have approx 3 weeks to prep for the Semis or the same as a normal bowl game, the 2 remaining teams will only have a week or not more than 13 days to prep for the finals.
    While coaching staffs that have a good track record of coming up with quality game plans in their bowl games may do well in the semi-finals, they might not do so well with only ~ the normal week to prepare against a top-notch opponent in the finals.
    It should be fun, especially trying to pick against the spread.

vCash

Unfortunately, Bob Stoops knows how this will all end for Sumlin. Just ask Leavitt, Leach, Mangino, etc. Cursed.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Mac94 View Post
    LOL ... happy for what Johnny gave us on the field ... and he was a great college QB ... but the jury is out on what he'll be in the NFL ... and that's Cleveland's problem. Even if for one game Hill just showed that Sumlin's system will be fine without JFF ... it works at this level.
    My point exactly. I enjoyed watching JFF on the field (except that one time) regardless of what I thought of him off the field. No true CFB fan could look away when he had the ball in his hand. But it was clear that not all of that would translate to the NFL and with the team around him now, maybe not much of it. I know it's just one game, but that Hill kid looked better in several ways. Calmer in the pocket, quicker to the find the open guy and accurate. He didn't make any Houdini escapes to buy 10 seconds time, but doesn't appear he'll need to. Spurrier may get on the Saban wagon with trying to change some rules next year.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

If that is what qualifies for a top ten SEC team, then chant S-E-C all damn day and wallow in your mediocrity.

Sorry Spurrier, I know you're Stoops' visor daddy and his twin boys' godfather, but wow wow wow uber fail what a way to end a home winning streak

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 BermudaSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Nice win for Tulsa. Helps out OU just a little bit as well. Way to go hurricane.
    "You get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right."---Penn Jillette

"It's what I do, I drink and I know things."---Tyrion Lannister

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Jacie's Avatar
    vCash

Nice of Boise to lay down and let Ole Miss score 28 points in the 4th to make it look like they were blown out.

Did you know the Rebs got a trophy for that game?

As for A&M, better to be on winning side of that game (opening night, everyone watching) than to be SC (bye bye preseason Top 10 ranking and any chance of making the first ever D-1 playoff).

Poor Kenny Hill now has to wear the mantle of Kenny Football, passed to him by Johnny himself, how heavy will that weigh by the next game?

And did they say aggie wants to resume a series with the whorns? Be careful what you wish for, Mack's gone.

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Nice win for Tulsa. What a shame to see such a small turn out for the first home game. Tulsa used to be a contender, but small schools do not have the money to compete or recruit against the bigger programs. Looks like you can just drive up next Saturday and buy a ticket at the gate!

vCash

Funny how the sec was supposed to change the B12 schools, but it obviously the other way around. Can Mo win the sec east again? sec east is the old B12 North.

vCash

Glad I didn't put any money on aTm & S. Carolina. I would have gotten waxed.
    There's Only ONE Oklahoma!

Administrator
    vCash

I was not expecting A&M to roll South Carolina. That was a shocker.

Kenny Hill did look very good, but I noticed a couple of things:

1. A&M made a living on the slant routes last night, and South Carolina did NOTHING to stop that. They (S. Carolina) played zone almost the entire night, and although Hill was extremely effective hitting his targets on slants, Spurrier never adjusted. Carolina also never got a pass rush worth anything, and even on the occasion that they moved Hill out of the pocket, they were awful in coverage.

2. Neither defense looked that good. South Carolina has major issues in the secondary, and the lack of a playmaker on the defensive line just magnifies the issue. A&M has some very good athletes on defense, but they too struggled in the secondary. The Aggies did a solid enough job of limiting the run, but they were exposed plenty in the secondary. The Gamecock offense isn't a high octane, 40 points a game machine, but A&M made their passing game look much better than it was.

I was impressed with the way Kenny Hill played, and A&M looked better than I thought they would last night. However, I'm not going to assume the Aggies are championship caliber based off of one game. The Aggie defensive line is pretty stout, and will be better than last year, but they are going to have to improve in the secondary if they're going to win the big games this year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mac94's Avatar
    vCash

Kenny Hill did look very good, but I noticed a couple of things:

1. A&M made a living on the slant routes last night, and South Carolina did NOTHING to stop that. They (S. Carolina) played zone almost the entire night, and although Hill was extremely effective hitting his targets on slants, Spurrier never adjusted. Carolina also never got a pass rush worth anything, and even on the occasion that they moved Hill out of the pocket, they were awful in coverage.

2. Neither defense looked that good. South Carolina has major issues in the secondary, and the lack of a playmaker on the defensive line just magnifies the issue. A&M has some very good athletes on defense, but they too struggled in the secondary. The Aggies did a solid enough job of limiting the run, but they were exposed plenty in the secondary. The Gamecock offense isn't a high octane, 40 points a game machine, but A&M made their passing game look much better than it was.

I was impressed with the way Kenny Hill played, and A&M looked better than I thought they would last night. However, I'm not going to assume the Aggies are championship caliber based off of one game. The Aggie defensive line is pretty stout, and will be better than last year, but they are going to have to improve in the secondary if they're going to win the big games this year.
    Can't disagree at all. The positive for us is that the defense had some moments of good play. Game one last year against Rice was a disaster and if just never got better. Yesterday we infused the defense with a number of freshman and while there we blown assignments and big plays given up ... there was also streaks of solid defensive play that can be built upon. And the schedule now allows us to work on us before we face Arkansas and the Mississippi schools. As the season goes on the youngsters should continue to get better.

A&M shouldn't win the west this year ... but coming into the season I was thinking we'd be looking at a 7-5 transition yr between Manziel and the coming of age of our recruiting classes. Last night gives hope that we can win 8 .. 9 ... maybe 10 if things go right. Really nice for a transition year.
    Gig 'Em and God Bless