Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Administrator
    vCash

Re: Official: DGB waiver request denied by NCAA

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerinSouthlake View Post
    a. this is an incredibly frustrating thread. I dont know in most of these posts whether you boys are talking about Mixon or DGB
    b. where DGB is concerned. if he is a freak on the field he needs to show it on the field. Now that there is a rookie pay scale it doesn't necessarily behoove him to sit for 12 months and expect a team to draft him in the 4th round. He may fare better by playing a season at OU, being a lights out pass catcher, and going in the top 15 picks.

of course you guys are the real experts :-)
    Regarding DGB:

The new collective bargaining agreement for the NFL (the one that changed rookie contracts) IMO, will definitely play a part in this. I know the kid is a freak, but I just don't see him getting a 1st round grade after missing a year of football (and really only showing 1 year of good football at Mizzou). So, given that the money for the second round (and later) isn't what it used to be, he could very well play at OU next year.

Or

He decides to go anyway.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me.
    Stoops was asked:

"Do you expect Dorial to be back in 2015"
    He answered:

"That isn't something that's been decided. Right now, it seems that he wants to do that and is heading that way, and we want to support him in every possible way."
    That's a little more than just saying DGB is "undecided". Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's a reason to jump for joy and count on him being at OU next year, but it's better than Stoops saying "I'm not going to discuss that".

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I would have expected Stoops to say DGB is on the team and we're moving forward the same as any other player that is eligible to play next year. To say that "isn't something that's been decided" is not usually what you would hear about a player being redshirted or out for the year with injury. But the DGB is a very unique situation for this program. The fact that he is still in school at least says he prefers OU coaching at this point vs. going out and hiring a personal coach and gives him time to think about it.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I imagine DGB's deal went down something like this.

At first Pinkel (and the Missouri Staff) was on board with DGB transferring to OU and playing immediately. They told our staff they would send the NCAA the necessary paperwork. So our staff was confident that the NCAA would approve DGB (and they said so).
    Then the talking heads at ESecPN and CBSec got to blasting the transfer because an eligible DGB at OU is not in the best interest of their money-maker, the SEC. An immediately eligible DGB in Norman would more than likely be a game-changer.
    Then Mizzou's staff got some pressure from either or both their University administration and the SEC, probably saying, DGB's immediately playing this year is not in the best interest of their new conference, so they slow-played sending in their docs to the NCAA and when they did, they probably included (or didn't include or included more) than what they (the Mizzou coaches) told our staff they would include. Hence, the NCAA didn't approve the request, which left us in a real bad situation, since there is probably no up-side for OU in this transfer since he can't play this year and will probably go to the next level next year.
    Hopefully, the cards fall our way, and he becomes a ""model citizen and comes back for his Sr. year, makes all-American, makes OU proud and makes all of the ESecPN and CBSec talking heads eat a big-ole chitburger.
    Personally, I didn't like us making this deal and allowing him to transfer because I think he'll revert to his old ways and probably get into more trouble. I do hope he "mans up", honors his transfer by staying for his Sr. year and we don't have to cut him loose, but I do think the percentage are low that he will.

Quote Originally Posted by CK Sooner View Post
    He will only go up if he stays and plays next year. I think he owes OU to do it also. They gave him a chance.
    He doesn't owe OU anything imo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by kbsooner21 View Post
    He doesn't owe OU anything imo.
    .. and vice versa. Would have been a great talent addition to have him, but just didn't work out. Most of us would have been just as excited about this '14 Sooner team had the whole DGB thing never come up.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 freshchris05's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    .. and vice versa. Would have been a great talent addition to have him, but just didn't work out. Most of us would have been just as excited about this '14 Sooner team had the whole DGB thing never come up.
    For sure.
    "This whole world is 3 drinks behind..."

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Foxsports is saying DGB is coming back to play at OU in 2015.

Linkage
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

That's nice to hear but until he's practicing in spring practice, I'll reserve judgment. Lots of guys say they intend to stay in school and then in January change their mind and declare for the draft. I guess we'll see.

vCash

Money talks....
    on Big Tex burning....They mentioned this on College Football Live. Pollack asked if it represented the Texas defense. Herbie told him it represented the Texas bandwagon.

vCash

I think it's likely going to hinge on where he's projected to go in the draft. But if character issues are scaring teams off, he may think another year of highlights (and no incidents) will alleviate concerns. Really thats the only way I see him staying.
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

vCash

Hmmm. Looks like Missouri didn't support the waiver after all, according to the Kansas City Star.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/col...le1440641.html

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    I think it's likely going to hinge on where he's projected to go in the draft. But if character issues are scaring teams off, he may think another year of highlights (and no incidents) will alleviate concerns. Really thats the only way I see him staying.
    Depends on if he wants to be a top 5 pick. He will probably be a late 1st round pick if he doesnt come back, but he probably be a top 5 pick if he comes back, and dominates like he has the potential to.

vCash

Lot of interesting takes on this. I wonder if OU's level of success this year will sway DGB one way or the other?

When this occurred, I wasn't necessarily in favor of it, but figured I didn't know any more details than had been reported, and Bob, Joe, and Pres Boren all had to be on board, so we'll just see what happens....I knew the media would do their usual muck-raking.

Of course, the Ray Rice, Mixon, and Shannon situations blew things up way more than could have been expected. It will be a nice day when it is all behind us. But, since the Sooner Nation has had to deal with all sorts of friction, I hope at least something positive football-wise transpires from DGB and Mixon. Have little hope for Shannon.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

If DGB never plays another down of college football he will still be a top 10 type pick. Assuming no character issues present themselves between now and next year DGB will have accomplished what he needed to do, show himself to be a decent citizen. At that point he would be playing to possibly move up the draft order incrementally. The risk isn't worth the potential reward. I would be very surprised no matter what he says, that he will play at OU next year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Okay, so this thing breaks out as:

1. DGB will play on OU's practice squad this season, offering an excellent measure for our DB's to gauge themselves against. And for our coaches to use as a measuring post for our WR's and how to use tall WRs.
    2. He might stay and play next season, who knows? If he does, we have arguably the best receiver in the country. If he doesn't, OU's name still gets mentioned high on draft day.
    3. His presence on the team causes the nancy-boy press to write articles about OU's supposed amorality. This causes stress and distraction to those easily stressed and distracted.
    4. OU is out a schollie and the money it takes to provide that and player services (food, uniforms, etc) for a season.
    5. We get some nebulous props with recruits for having provided him a 'second chance'.

I'm really not seeing much of a down side here, presuming he doesn't run amok through a local girls' school or set up a street pharmacy in Headington Hall.

Can we be done with this, now?
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Do we have anything more pressing on this board that we need to be working on?

vCash

Yes!
    We need to be hating on Texas more. That is a task that is NEVER even remotely close to completion.
    It is almost ten a.m. CDT and Texas still most assuredly sucks like a Hoover.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Yes!
    We need to be hating on Texas more. That is a task that is NEVER even remotely close to completion.
    It is almost ten a.m. CDT and Texas still most assuredly sucks like a Hoover.
    I have a crew working on this now.

vCash

In this regard, let me refer your researchers to Arkansas. I don't always agree with my piggy neighbors, but I must absolutely admire and remark upon their resolute hatred of UT football. Truly inspiring. Regularly brings tears to my eyes. A people who hate Texas that much simply can't be all bad.