Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Official: DGB waiver request denied by NCAA

Personally, I'm okay with both situations. If either/both of them choose not to stay at OU, so be it. If either/both of them stay they hopefully learned something and I'd like to see them play next year. Either way, no one can say OU gave them preferential treatment, or that there was no accountability for their actions. I'll feel better watching them play with the hope that they learned from it. And given that I don't know the whole stories, I'm going to assume people in authority made good decisions.
    Aries

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Aries View Post

And given that I don't know the whole stories, I'm going to assume people in authority made good decisions.
    I think you are spot on. No doubt there is more to the stories that we will never find out about. That statement from Pinkel yesterday about having "other information" about DBG that factored into booting him might be a clue. And it could simply be that Mizzou was not supporting this transfer as much as we were led to believe. They sure took a long time to file the papers from their side. Combine that with the lightning speed OU accepted the decision w/o considering appeal and it sure points to a weak case for this waiver.

I've read rumors that the Mixon encounter also had other factors outside just what appeared on the police report. All just rumors, but at this point, I think as fans, all we can do is trust that OU authorities have more complete information and are doing the right thing. Even if we would disagree with their decision on the Mixon case if we had all the info, I think they have earned our support from the job they have done over the years.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and play next year.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sabanball View Post
    Hopefully he can stay on the straight and narrow and play next year.
    Very likely he'll be playing next year -- maybe even at OU.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Sabanball's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Very likely he'll be playing next year -- maybe even at OU.

Maybe, but more than likely it will be in the NFL.
    Oklahoma will begin working with the Pacific Institute after the 2009 season.

"(Oklahoma coach) Bob Stoops' words to me were, 'I want exactly what Alabama got,'" Institute instructor Antowaine Richardson said.

The University of Alabama --All-Time leader with 10 AP NC's in the modern era and back-to-back AP NC's 3 times (64/65, 78/79, 11/12)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member King Crimson's Avatar
    vCash

i think the transfer rule has been trampled a bit lately and to be fair, not sure DGB is the special case where it ought to be waived.

as for Mixon, from that horrible situation...seems about right. I'mma trust coach and the process there. had to be consequences after a mutual ugliness like that.
    “someone's controlling the vibes!"--apache dropout

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

More than likely be in the NFL?

How? Why? He's not going to be playing ANYWHERE this year, unless he transfers DOWN. That will tank his draft status. He's not going to do anything, except lose ground this year, in any situation. He NEEDS his senior season.

He's not going anywhere. He's going to park his butt on the bench for a year and we'll see him playing next year.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

I know each case is different, but someone explain this to me. We obviously need to get our people who write our NCAA transfer appeals better trained or pay-off the NCAA with more money. Something, cheet. Freakin Whoregon, too.

Cal transfer gets waiver, eligible to play for Ducks in 2014

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...-2014/related/

Shortly after the 2013 season ended, the linebacker transferred from Cal to Oregon. Because he was a transfer to another program in the Pac-12, Ragin would’ve been forced to sit out both the 2014 and 2015 seasons; an appeal for a waiver was successful, however, and lopped that sit-out time in half, making Ragin eligible to play in 2015 after sitting out this season.

For reasons not yet publicly released, Ragin filed yet another appeal for a waiver that would allow him to be immediately eligible in 2014 — and won.
    Aside from two very successful appeals, how Ragin went from “eligible in 2016″ to “eligible in 2014″ is unclear — and absolutely awesome given the absurd and arcane nature of the NCAA’s transfer rules
    Last edited by aurorasooner; 8/24/2014 at 12:25 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalBigRed View Post
    More than likely be in the NFL?

How? Why? He's not going to be playing ANYWHERE this year, unless he transfers DOWN. That will tank his draft status. He's not going to do anything, except lose ground this year, in any situation. He NEEDS his senior season.

He's not going anywhere. He's going to park his butt on the bench for a year and we'll see him playing next year.
    Just because he's not playing this year doesn't mean he'll shrink or get slower, or his hands will fall off. If he decides to go to the NFL after this season, and I would if I were him, he'll still be a high draft choice. I don't know if that means first round or not, but just because he doesn't play doesn't mean NFL teams will forget about him.

....and in case ya haven't heard - the NFL really likes big talented receivers these days!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Maurice clarrett got a fair shake. DGB will get a shot at the nfl regardless of playing time at OU. He'll continue to train and if he he chooses to throw his name in the draft next year, they'll draft him on potential and size alone. I'd like to think he'll attend class and be available next year with the guys we have coming back. Hes a big time weapon and a big target that will help our rbs out a pantload.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by birddog View Post
    Maurice clarrett got a fair shake. DGB will get a shot at the nfl regardless of playing time at OU. He'll continue to train and if he he chooses to throw his name in the draft next year, they'll draft him on potential and size alone. I'd like to think he'll attend class and be available next year with the guys we have coming back. Hes a big time weapon and a big target that will help our rbs out a pantload.
    Some might even see not playing as a plus - no wear and tear, much less likely to suffer a career impacting injury, and he's proven what he can do.

I'm not gonna go all the way and argue not playing is better than playing, but I don't think it's a big a deal in the case of a physical freak like him, who has proven what he can do.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Ruf/Nek7's Avatar
    vCash

If it were the other way around and DGB was leaving OU for Mizzou, he would have got the approval. No doubt about it.
    FADADA DLSD RDPC05 SS12
    Keeper of the Guns 08

Illegitimi non carborundum

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ruf/Nek7 View Post
    If it were the other way around and DGB was leaving OU for Mizzou, he would have got the approval. No doubt about it.

Along with the: "We'll win with ya, or we'll win without ya" mantra, this is my other favorite Sooner fan belief: Everybody is out to get us.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 SoonerorLater's Avatar
    vCash

IMO the chances of his coming back to Oklahoma next year are less than 1 in 10, if that. The biggest question mark concerns his character not his physical ability. If he is a good citizen over the next so many months he would be a high round draft pick (top ten). If he isn't such a good citizen he won't be invited back at OU. In either case it doesn't follow he will be back. .
    Last edited by SoonerorLater; 8/24/2014 at 05:24 PM.

vCash

Saw an article over at NBC sports saying Stoops thought DGB was leaning towards playing in 2015. Stranger things have happened, but I still wouldn't count on it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oners-in-2015/
    The enduring image of Oklahoma was that ridiculous double–middle finger of a game-icing kick. It was probably an accident, which somehow made it more, not less, insulting. It was as though Stoops had partied so hard on the corpse of the SEC that he woke up with an unplanned tattoo.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by soonergirlNeugene View Post
    Saw an article over at NBC sports saying Stoops thought DGB was leaning towards playing in 2015. Stranger things have happened, but I still wouldn't count on it.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...oners-in-2015/

Stoops was asked at Monday's press conference if DGB was planning to return to OU and play in 2015. He said (paraphrasing) that was his (DGB) plan and he's working in that direction.

That doesn't mean he'll be back, but it sounds like he's leaning that way.

I think a lot will depend on what the NFL Draft Board tells him. There's more than enough film available for the Draft Board to review his ability, and if he get's an early round grade, it'd be awfully hard to pass it up. I wouldn't blame the kid if he bolts for the NFL if he's going to be an early round pick.

vCash

Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me.

vCash

a. this is an incredibly frustrating thread. I dont know in most of these posts whether you boys are talking about Mixon or DGB
    b. where DGB is concerned. if he is a freak on the field he needs to show it on the field. Now that there is a rookie pay scale it doesn't necessarily behoove him to sit for 12 months and expect a team to draft him in the 4th round. He may fare better by playing a season at OU, being a lights out pass catcher, and going in the top 15 picks.

of course you guys are the real experts :-)

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Stoops saying that having DGB for next season being "undecided" is definitely a change of tone. Of course, it's the first time he has addressed it since the waiver was denied. I didn't take the comments as optimistic, that's just me.
    Have we even appealed the NCAA's decision on DGB? Does the OU staff even plan to?

I just noticed that Michigan will appeal the NCAA's negative ruling on their medical hardship transfer from USCw. Also with Oregon's transfer from Cal appealing twice and winning both, it just seems to me, that if we don't make some kind of effort to appeal the DGB ruling, that any transfers with the hope of playing w/o sitting out a year and who are considering OU in the future may have 2nd thoughts about transferring to OU because our administration appears too wuss to attempt even a 1st appeal to the NCAA.

Perhaps our football administration is waiting on the NCAA's ruling on B. Mayfield, before they file an appeal on DGB.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    Have we even appealed the NCAA's decision on DGB? Does the OU staff even plan to?
    No. OU issued a statement that the matter is closed immediately after the waiver was denied. I must assume that was because of the reasoning behind the denial left no toe hold for an appeal. We appealed Saunders last season, so it's not because OU is hesitant to file an appeal.

This whole "run off" waiver seems a little sketchy anyway. It must be in the books to protect players that were deemed to be unfairly dismissed. If not, a player desiring to transfer would be highly motivated to start breaking team rules left and right. Coaches would have motivation to collude with the players just to get them out of their hair. My guess is that the documents filed by Mizzou were not fully supportive and contained some stuff that would be a bit embarrassing to OU if released. OU sure dropped it like a hot potato.