SoonerFans.com Elite Member Soonerjeepman's Avatar
    vCash

Will this year's Defense be the old Offense?

The years the O was scoring in under 2 minutes...we (well I) always thought...dang give the D time to rest.

I think this year the D will be really stout, getting a lot of 3 and outs...the O better be ready to hit the field.

Can't wait! BOOMER!
    How do you know if you get there, if you don't know where you are going?..oh and I had 1,713 post on the "other board"..I hate being a rookie again!

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Will this year's Defense be the old Offense?

I would sure like to see us finally overcome the 'big-play-bust' syndrome of Mike's defenses, though. Guess they're just inherently built that way.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

The only time I didn't care if the defense got rest was the '08 season. I figured they could rest during the week. If they gave up a few points, that just meant I got to enjoy watching Sam and co for a few more series before the 2nd team took over.

Other seasons, the quick offense wasn't consistently good enough to have that luxury.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cvsooner View Post
    I would sure like to see us finally overcome the 'big-play-bust' syndrome of Mike's defenses, though. Guess they're just inherently built that way.
    Most of us like an aggressive style defense, but that is going to lead to giving up an occasional big play. Doesn't even have to be a bust - just good execution at the right time. But if the defense creates as many big plays (sacks, turnovers) as it gives up, it's a win. Any QB that has as many picks as TDs is ineffective and I expect we'll force our share this year.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

The perfect balance were the mid 1980's teams. Nice, steady wishbone drives of 80 or 90 yards in 10-12 plays coupled with enemy drives of 4-8 plays (5-15 yards) that ended in despair, futility, humiliation, a punt and generally Bosworth pointing and laughing at their QB and head coach, prior to huddling with his boys and conducting pack howling like wolves.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Administrator
    vCash

The new scheme we run is always going to make us susceptible to a good running game (especially if you can't plug the middle), but overall, this is the best defense to play in the Big XII, and it can be effective against just about any offense. The key is personnel, and we seem to have that part covered.

This is the same defense we ran for a large majority of Switzer's time, only the ends are much quicker and called OLBs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Here's a nice note from EDSBS regarding a certain matchup later on this fall.

Tennessee at Oklahoma

Eight years ago, you let your athletic director pick your schedule using Dynasty Mode in "NCAA Football 2004." This is what happens, Tennessee.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    The perfect balance were the mid 1980's teams. Nice, steady wishbone drives of 80 or 90 yards in 10-12 plays coupled with enemy drives of 4-8 plays (5-15 yards) that ended in despair, futility, humiliation, a punt and generally Bosworth pointing and laughing at their QB and head coach, prior to huddling with his boys and conducting pack howling like wolves.
    God, I miss those days!