Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 aurorasooner's Avatar
    vCash

B1G Press “we’re No. 5!” isn’t much of a rallying cry."

The press in the B1G area is certainly dejected about the Bucks losing Braxton Miller for the season. "Loss of Braxton Miller sends Big Ten to bottom of Power Five" in the Chicago Trib today. "Wave your Big Ten flags all you want, friends, but “we’re No. 5!” isn’t much of a rallying cry." and they go to say that the SEC is the number 1 conference, with the PAC number 2.

I guess we'd be in the same frame of mind if TK were to go down, but I don't know if our BU QBs are any good. I noticed Stoops named a BU QB yesterday. Just wondering if there's any chance that if TK goes down, that Blake Bell pulls a Paul Thompson and comes in from the bull pen?

vCash

Re: B1G Press “we’re No. 5!” isn’t much of a rallying cry."

Thought of that occurring as well. I'm hoping that Mayfield will clear and become eligible soon. I guess from what I've heard, he throws a pretty good ball and has some experience as opposed to Thomas & Hansen. I'm believing that it's time to get some encouraging news concerning both Mayfield & Green-Beckham. Better, at least, than what's been transpiring lately..

Boomer

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

I hope our BU QBs have far surpassed Bell by now. Not saying he isn't good, just that he would be very rusty after practicing at TE both spring and fall, while the young QBs should have made strides. It would also greatly hurt Bell's NFL chances to detour like that if he indeed is NFL worthy at TE.

vCash

tOSU has recruited well and they have the Urban factor, so I understand why they are highly ranked. But I liked MSU even before Miller got hurt. They have a system that has been cranking out excellent defenses for years and the offense really came on strong late in the season late year with returning QB Cook. They man handled a good Stanford team in the Rose bowl.

Vacuums eat while yelling

vCash

With the money, facilities, fanbases and numbers that B1G brings to the table, you'd think they'd be toe to toe with their Civil War enemies.

But noooooo 14 teams isn't enough to compete against another 14 team conference! $100 million per school in athletic revenues is not enough money! Three $4 million+ football coaches, or 10 $2 million+ football coaches can't compete!

Sh1tty underachieving rust belters. They're only relevant since ESPN hires their alums

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I hope our BU QBs have far surpassed Bell by now. Not saying he isn't good, just that he would be very rusty after practicing at TE both spring and fall, while the young QBs should have made strides. It would also greatly hurt Bell's NFL chances to detour like that if he indeed is NFL worthy at TE.
    I was thinking about that, but if our BU QBs can't get him the ball consistently, then I don't know if it would really hurt his chances of playing tight end at the next level. As far as being rusty, ENA did it, so I would imagine that with him taking all the 1st team snaps, it may come back to him.

If B. Mayfield does get the NCAAs approval to play this year, does he automatically move to no. 2?

vCash

badger has such a way with words. Pure smack poetry.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    badger has such a way with words. Pure smack poetry.
    I used to live up there. They have a much higher opinion of themselves in college football than No. 5 even if that's reality slapping them repeatedly in the face.

Here, let me get my northern accent out of the closet and see if I can reason out why they're actually #1: Blah blah 100K stadiums, blah blah Rose Bowl, blah blah Big Ten Network, blah blah conference championship game, blah blah American Association of Universities (sorry Nebrasky)

Maybe the Big Ten commissioner should hire that Oklahoma State blogger to give a speech about why it is so cool to be bad at football.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheHumanAlphabet View Post
    Boren has become a PC babbling idiot and a megalomaniac leader. All he wants is a place in history and memories like Cross. After what he did to The Pride, I will not support him or donate to the University until he leaves.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by aurorasooner View Post
    I was thinking about that, but if our BU QBs can't get him the ball consistently, then I don't know if it would really hurt his chances of playing tight end at the next level. As far as being rusty, ENA did it, so I would imagine that with him taking all the 1st team snaps, it may come back to him.

If B. Mayfield does get the NCAAs approval to play this year, does he automatically move to no. 2?
    And I think most folks would agree ENA was not a great QB - more of a great warrior. He also had no chance of making he NFL at receiver, so moving back to QB didn't hurt him. Of course, we don't know about Bell's TE chances at this point either

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    I used to live up there. They have a much higher opinion of themselves in college football than No. 5 even if that's reality slapping them repeatedly in the face.

Here, let me get my northern accent out of the closet and see if I can reason out why they're actually #1: Blah blah 100K stadiums, blah blah Rose Bowl, blah blah Big Ten Network, blah blah conference championship game, blah blah American Association of Universities (sorry Nebrasky)
    You HAVE been away from there too long; you forgot that every team South of the Mason Dixon line or West of the Mississippi, a) cheats in all ways at all things, b) recruit players who are paradoxically too stupid to write their own names but can memorize complex play books, c) and on that topic, we all use offensive and defensive schemes that are unethical, d) and are just unethical/illegal in all things we do, and, e) have ushered Mammon into the temple that is amateur sport and, and, and.....
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

) cheats in all ways at all things, b) recruit players who are paradoxically too stupid to write their own names but can memorize complex play books
    Sounds like Ohio State giving out money and tattoos, or putting athletes in classes too sh!tty to transfer

his coursework included four credits for playing football, three for Tressel's Coaching Football class, 10 for remedial reading, 10 for remedial math and three for Issues Affecting Student Athletes

vCash

The Big 10 has 2 things going for it, though.

1) They don't have to put up with the whorns and LwHN.
    2) Their conference leadership and the individual university prezs and athletic directors were willing to listen to guys like Weiberg and start a conference network, where every team got an equal cut of the money pie (which imo is only fair).

I don't really know how the LwHN survives with the limited amount of programming it has, but we don't get it, which is OK with me since the market is saturated now with college sport's networks.

We made a lot of fun about ""Weedberg when he was with the Big 12, but he was right about starting a conference TV network. It was a gold mine, not only in viewership alone, but in negotiating with the big networks to carry their college FB and BB games. If the big networks try and low-ball them on their game rights, they can tell them to *&^% off, and either go to another network or carry the games themselves.

I did notice yesterday, that the Pac-12 network announced a deal with You-tube to carry their games live over the 'net to countries outside of the US. They announced a yearly and monthly subscription price. At this time, this didn't include their games contracted to and broadcast by the networks. One detail that caught my eye, was their reference to people who were "cutting the cord" because of the high prices that cable and sat systems were charging for "tiers" that included a multitude of crappy channels that they never watch.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Maybe they can still strive for the Lambert Trophy, which has to be one of the cheesiset trophies in college football.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member birddog's Avatar
    vCash

Leaders and Legends=Runners-up and Afterthoughts.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by badger View Post
    Columbus is in the butternut region, so it makes sense they act like the SECede.
    Ukraine: Not Our Fight.

More epicycles!

vCash

One detail that caught my eye, was their reference to people who were "cutting the cord" because of the high prices that cable and sat systems were charging for "tiers" that included a multitude of crappy channels that they never watch.
    I wish we could, but sports demands that you have cable these days if you want to watch live. There's definitely a lot I don't watch and other than sports, I don't watch a ton of TV anymore