Travis Wilson beats out Kendal Thompson for Utah starting qb spot

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Re: Travis Wilson beats out Kendal Thompson for Utah starting qb spot

Utah: the graveyard for ex OU QBs.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Always tough to beat out someone who has been in the system for a while. Stay ready, Kendal!

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

When KT left for Utah, Travis Wilson's (the incumbent starter at QB) future as a football player (for health reasons) was very much in doubt. Obviously Travis was ultimately cleared to continue playing and that hurt KT's chances. Throwing accuracy was cited as the main point of separation between the 2 QBs and led to Travis being named the starter. FWIW, I think there's been some indication that KT will have his own package geared more toward running the football. I hope he does well. Of course he's one snap away from getting his chance at running the entire offense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Our coaches' track record for picking our starting QB is pretty good.

Tommy Grady transferred and didn't do anything.
    Keith Nichol transferred and didn't do anything (at least as a QB).
    Drew Allen transferred and didn't do anything.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1 Mazeppa's Avatar
    vCash

If you're a coach and you watch practice everyday and you can't tell who your best quarterback is then, well....

SoonerFans.com Elite Member Widescreen's Avatar
    vCash

Politics sometimes creeps into those decisions.

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UteSooner View Post
    When KT left for Utah, Travis Wilson's (the incumbent starter at QB) future as a football player (for health reasons) was very much in doubt. Obviously Travis was ultimately cleared to continue playing and that hurt KT's chances. Throwing accuracy was cited as the main point of separation between the 2 QBs and led to Travis being named the starter. FWIW, I think there's been some indication that KT will have his own package geared more toward running the football. I hope he does well. Of course he's one snap away from getting his chance at running the entire offense.
    I remember reading about Wilson's injury, then his eventually clearance. I'm sure KT knew the situation when he transferred.

Like you said, he's a snap away from getting in the game, and I really don't think that would have been the case at OU.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I remember reading about Wilson's injury, then his eventually clearance. I'm sure KT knew the situation when he transferred.

Like you said, he's a snap away from getting in the game, and I really don't think that would have been the case at OU.
    Agreed and Travis Wilson hasn't been that strong of a starter, so it's not just an injury that could put KT on the field, it could also be ineffective play. You know the Ute fans will be calling KT's name if they get restless

I do not wish any injury on Travis Wilson and I would hate to say I want him to do bad as the starter... But I hope Kendall eventually gets the start. I had two classes with him and he was always pretty cool and friendly. Wish him well.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Oh, what if!
    He was clearly the best QB on the field in that one spring game. If not for the broken foot, I think he'd have started last year for us.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Agreed and Travis Wilson hasn't been that strong of a starter, so it's not just an injury that could put KT on the field, it could also be ineffective play. You know the Ute fans will be calling KT's name if they get restless
    It's true the jury is still out on Travis. However he played well enough for the Utes to enter last year's half-way point at 4-2 (and having just upset Stanford--also both those losses were close including a 7-point margin vs. UCLA). The second he came out injured the wheels came off and they hobbled to a 5-win season. We'll see what happens.

vCash

Yeah, I know nothing about the Utes. I just know fans everywhere love the backup QB unless the starter is an established star. I figure that will especially be true for KT since he transferred in with some buzz from an elite school. If the Utes lose a couple and Wilson doesn't look great in those games, there will be pressure. Not wishing bad on Wilson or anything

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Oh, what if!
    He was clearly the best QB on the field in that one spring game. If not for the broken foot, I think he'd have started last year for us.
    Yup. I wish him well.
    http://www.soonerfans.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=38933&dateline=130040  9398

If God wanted Men to look women in the eyes, He wouldnt have gave em Boobs !

Sooner Benchwarmer
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    Yeah, I know nothing about the Utes. I just know fans everywhere love the backup QB unless the starter is an established star. I figure that will especially be true for KT since he transferred in with some buzz from an elite school. If the Utes lose a couple and Wilson doesn't look great in those games, there will be pressure. Not wishing bad on Wilson or anything
    I agree 100% and you are right-There's already been some of that on the message boards ever since the transfter was announced (partly because the backup is popular and partly because of the OU brand being behind KT, although that effect is dampened for those who remember Tommy Grady).

If I sounded defensive and like I was defending Wilson it's probably just out of habit from the Ute boards (which should tell you something in and of itself).