Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash

Re: ESPN Dallas on Mixon and DGB

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    All reports are that he was popular with teammates; that could be the thing that keeps him at OU. He would be run through the ringer by other programs in order for them to feel they completely understand what happened in Norman. And other programs have their PR to worry about too (I'm talking top programs like USC, UCLA). At least he knows where he stands here.
    Yes he does! He surely, surely does. And for that reason I still say he's a dumb a** if the Oklahoma sun rises on Joe Mixon one week from today!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Add I hope Mixon is smarter than that. Being vindictive will buy him nothing positive and could well bite him in the arse.
    What else is going to happen to him?
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    What else is going to happen to him?
    Assuming he's NFL worthy, he could end up being coached by a current Sooner coach or be teammates with a loyal Sooner player that might not like him trashing OU. My industry is much larger than the NFL and I've seen several employee burn a bridge at one company out of anger and then regret it because a manager moves to their next company. If Mixon decides to leave, he should say all the right things about taking responsibility for his own actions and just moving on for a fresh start. Then just leave and never mention OU again.

vCash

Assuming he's NFL worthy, he could end up being coached by a current Sooner coach or be teammates with a loyal Sooner player that might not like him trashing OU. My industry is much larger than the NFL and I've seen several employee burn a bridge at one company out of anger and then regret it because a manager moves to their next company. If Mixon decides to leave, he should say all the right things about taking responsibility for his own actions and just moving on for a fresh start. Then just leave and never mention OU again.
    LOL...because there are a ton of ex Sooners coaching in the NFL, and maybe I'm crazy but I'd guess should he become teammates with any ex Sooners in the NFL what he might have said about OU years previous (after being thrown under the jail by the university) is not gonna make much hay stacked up against trying to make an NFL team, earn millions of dollars, etc...

Though I may not have agreed with all of them, you've made some valid points on some of this stuff, but you really reached on this one.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Add I hope Mixon is smarter than that. Being vindictive will buy him nothing positive and could well bite him in the arse.
    It is not about being vindictive, it's about choosing not to work for someone who gave you a one year suspension on disturbing the peace charges. Why would you want to be in a place where those above you do not act like grownups?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    It is not about being vindictive, it's about choosing not to work for someone who gave you a one year suspension on disturbing the peace charges. Why would you want to be in a place where those above you do not act like grownups?
    I'm not talking about leaving. I'm referencing the "screw you" part - publicly or privately. If he decides it's best to leave, take the high road and don't burn any bridges. It's immature and will be perceived as such. It's something you think the next day, but don't really do once you calm down and regain composure. He doesn't need any questions about his maturity right now.

I'm not talking about leaving. I'm referencing the "screw you" part - publicly or privately.
    I wasn't being literal when I said that. lol. But I do agree with you.

vCash

Originally Posted by Curly Bill
    I'm with you. I'm sure it was traumatic leaving mizzu, but ultimately he upgraded.
    The coaching upgrade alone will net him a few mil at draft time. It will help ease the trauma a wee bit.

I'm thinking DGB is likely gone, now. The Media, and our rivals, will get their wishes regarding phking up OU.
    Last edited by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!; 8/19/2014 at 01:38 AM.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

Sooner All-Big XII-2-1+1-1+1
    vCash

Wouldn't surprise me about DGB at all. And those jackhole sportswriters will have reams of "what might have been" stories for yrs to come...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone! View Post
    I'm thinking DGB is likely gone, now. The Media, and our rivals, will get their wishes regarding phking up OU.
    Er? You see DGB leaving because of Mixon? I could see him leaving w/o ever playing if he doesn't get a waiver, but he'll stick around for the season. And I don't think the Mixon thing plays into that at all.

vCash

Er? You see DGB leaving because of Mixon? I could see him leaving w/o ever playing if he doesn't get a waiver, but he'll stick around for the season. And I don't think the Mixon thing plays into that at all.
    I can see him not getting the waiver. The NCAA prolly wouldn't want to be devoured by the Media, for treating another player (one who is also accused of physically harming a woman)more leniently than was Mixon.
    Put a lid on it! Kiss it goodbye. We gave it away, and apparently thought it made sense to do so.

vCash

I can see him not getting the waiver. The NCAA prolly wouldn't want to be devoured by the Media, for treating another player (one who is also accused of physically harming a woman)more leniently than was Mixon.
    I don't see why the NCAA would even look at that - it's whether he qualifies for a waiver under the run-off rule or not. He was not charged with anything in Columbia. I'm not predicting whether he gets the waiver or not as that's been up in the air since day 1 he announced the transfer. But I've always assumed there was a good chance he stays one season regardless. He may have a verbal deal to stay for at least 1 playing year as has been rumored, but I'm sure the NFL would tempt him to change his mind.

vCash

I don't see why the NCAA would even look at that - it's whether he qualifies for a waiver under the run-off rule or not. He was not charged with anything in Columbia. I'm not predicting whether he gets the waiver or not as that's been up in the air since day 1 he announced the transfer. But I've always assumed there was a good chance he stays one season regardless. He may have a verbal deal to stay for at least 1 playing year as has been rumored, but I'm sure the NFL would tempt him to change his mind.
    If he doesn't get to play this year, they are saying he could be a first rounder in the NFL draft in 2015. Would he stay at OUthis year just to practice? I would guess no. (who will pay for his school this fall if he can't play football?)

SoonerFans.com Elite Member achiro's Avatar
    vCash

So Mixon suspended for CHARGES. I wonder this, if the video comes out and shows her hitting him first, will it effect recruiting? I can see a kid looking at that and thinking, "the school threw him under the bus for defending himself"
    This off season has not been good for OU. Lots of really weird decisions being made by the admin.
    I would agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

vCash

If he doesn't get to play this year, they are saying he could be a first rounder in the NFL draft in 2015. Would he stay at OUthis year just to practice? I would guess no. (who will pay for his school this fall if he can't play football?)
    Absolutely he would stay around to practice. The coaching and training is worth literally millions in his case and I'm not sure he would have to pay. The question is would he stick around another year after that to repay the coaches? That has been rumored as a gentleman's agreement.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by achiro View Post
    So Mixon suspended for CHARGES. I wonder this, if the video comes out and shows her hitting him first, will it effect recruiting? I can see a kid looking at that and thinking, "the school threw him under the bus for defending himself"
    This off season has not been good for OU. Lots of really weird decisions being made by the admin.
    What do you mean "if" - all parties agree she slapped him first. But "defending himself" is a giant pile of BS for lawyers to shovel in court. If he in anyway felt threatened for his life or limb, he should be charged with being a wuss in the first degree. If I were Stoops and Mixon claimed self defense in a man to man talk with me, I'd slap him again. He was retaliating out of anger and he was certainly provoked. It could well end up being ruled justified in court too, but it wasn't self defense.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

Boulder, 'self defense' is a catch all. You are not required to estimate your chance for harm, you're just required to have experienced physical contact or immediate apprehension thereof. Depending on circumstances, an index finger poke in the chest is enough. Hell, under the Fighting Words Doctrine, if you can get enough jurors to agree that they'd lose it, too, words alone can sometimes be sufficient.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    Boulder, 'self defense' is a catch all. You are not required to estimate your chance for harm, you're just required to have experienced physical contact or immediate apprehension thereof. Depending on circumstances, an index finger poke in the chest is enough. Hell, under the Fighting Words Doctrine, if you can get enough jurors to agree that they'd lose it, too, words alone can sometimes be sufficient.
    Yes, I know the legal definition. I'm talking about the reality of the situation - how Stoops might view the situation, not how a jury *must* view it. Unless that chick had a tire iron in her hand, I don't believe for a second Mixon felt threatened. Someone at OU obviously feels the same way, or he wouldn't be suspended due to an unproven charge.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member KantoSooner's Avatar
    vCash

And that's what this has become, Boulder: Stoops and OU are taking over a parental function for whatever reason. Some people think that's a good thing; others think it's an overreach.
    "I don't know karate, but I know ka-razor!" - James Brown

Quote Originally Posted by KantoSooner View Post
    And that's what this has become, Boulder: Stoops and OU are taking over a parental function for whatever reason. Some people think that's a good thing; others think it's an overreach.
    An overreach is an understatement. This is a blatant abuse of power.