Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

ESPN Dallas on Mixon and DGB

ESPN Dallas now commenting on the incredible hypocrisy of OU booting Mixon, while actively campaigning to get DGB eligible this season.

I don't agree with them, that booting Mixon was the right thing to do, but it's hard to see much difference in the two cases.

...beyond the fact DGB has proven to be a stud at the college level.

Good job OU - NOW you are looking like a**es!!
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Winner of the Nobel Peace Prize 2015.

vCash

Re: ESPN Dallas on Mixon and DGB

...and yes indeed, they have pointed out that DGB sure could be a big piece in OU trying to win it all this year.
    Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

...and maybe now that they look like ginormous hypocrites we'll get that national media flak some people have only imagined to this point.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Administrator
    vCash

I hadn't thought too much about it, but there's a chance OU could get more attention (negative) because of this decision. "How can you fight to get DGB eligible, and kick Mixon off of the team?"

I think there is a defensible distinction. DGB has been punished. He was kicked off the Mizzou team and had to endure the embarrassment and notoriety that came with that. Now he's getting his second chance at OU.

Mixon is going through the punishment stage.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 8timechamps View Post
    I hadn't thought too much about it, but there's a chance OU could get more attention (negative) because of this decision. "How can you fight to get DGB eligible, and kick Mixon off of the team?"
    I think this may be exactly where we're headed. That's what the boys at ESPN Dallas were hammering on - and they're not especially anti-OU guys either.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Administrator
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post
    I think there is a defensible distinction. DGB has been punished. He was kicked off the Mizzou team and had to endure the embarrassment and notoriety that came with that. Now he's getting his second chance at OU.

If you take the time to really review both situations, you're correct. The national media won't do that though.

vCash

If you take the time to really review both situations, you're correct. The national media won't do that though.
    Can I somewhat agree in principle, while still thinking OU looks really really hypocritical?

Olevet Posse Pistolero

Yep, I think you are right. And OU already has one potential land mine in wait. I could see us going undefeated and getting left out of the playoffs, because of not playing a Conference Championship Game. So, we certainly don't need another land mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
    Can I somewhat agree in principle, while still thinking OU looks really really hypocritical?
    I think you may be right. What is true in principle doesn't always play well, because superficially it just has a bad look/smell.

SoonerFans.com Elite Member
    vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Snrinhouston View Post

If DGB sits, you may have a point. But if his waiver is granted? Leaving Mizzou to play at OU with no lost playing time is punishment? (Okay, I'll take off the crimson shades now).

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    If DGB sits, you may have a point. But if his waiver is granted? Leaving Mizzou to play at OU with no lost playing time is punishment? (Okay, I'll take off the crimson shades now).
    You're right. While getting booted of Mizzou certainly must be embarrassing, there is a lot less sting if he gets to play this year.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner79 View Post
    I'm with you. I'm sure it was traumatic leaving mizzu, but ultimately he upgraded.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I'm with you. I'm sure it was traumatic leaving mizzu, but ultimately he upgraded.
    The coaching upgrade alone will net him a few mil at draft time. It will help ease the trauma a wee bit.

vCash

So....the question is: Why doesn't Mixon do the same thing that DGB did?

Why not leave and go to USC, UCLA, Cal, or how about this - Oregon?

Could he not make the same claims about not being able to play like DGB and appeal for immediate eligibility?

...and I do realize with the season upon us he's very much short of time.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

So....the question is: Why doesn't Mixon do the same thing that DGB did?

Why not leave and go to USC, UCLA, Cal, or how about this - Oregon?

Could he not make the same claims about not being able to play like DGB and appeal for immediate eligibility?

...and I do realize with the season upon us he's very much short of time.
    Good question. But I think you probably hit upon the answer regarding "the short of time" issue. That kind of turnaround REALLY would have quite a stench, that I don't think SC, Oregon, etc., would want to deal with…given that there are more 5 star recruits in next year's class.

vCash

I'm certainly not inside the young mans head, but the only thing that would keep me at OU at this point is the fact the season is upon us and there's no time to really even try to figure something else out.

That being said: I still think I'd tell the OU hierarchy to kiss my a** and head back west.

...and in staying with the idea of the thread: That might drag OU through the mud just a little bit more.

Olevet Posse Pistolero

vCash

I'm certainly not inside the young mans head, but the only thing that would keep me at OU at this point is the fact the season is upon us and there's no time to really even try to figure something else out.

That being said: I still think I'd tell the OU hierarchy to kiss my a** and head back west.

...and in staying with the idea of the thread: That might drag OU through the mud just a little bit more.
    All reports are that he was popular with teammates; that could be the thing that keeps him at OU. He would be run through the ringer by other programs in order for them to feel they completely understand what happened in Norman. And other programs have their PR to worry about too (I'm talking top programs like USC, UCLA). At least he knows where he stands here.

For once, I agree with ESPN. Not that it takes a legendary genius to spot the inconsistency. If I were Mixon, I would tell the Oklahoma Politician Jerkoffs to go **** themselves, and go back to California.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by manateepower View Post
    For once, I agree with ESPN. Not that it takes a legendary genius to spot the inconsistency. If I were Mixon, I would tell the Oklahoma Politician Jerkoffs to go **** themselves, and go back to California.
    Add I hope Mixon is smarter than that. Being vindictive will buy him nothing positive and could well bite him in the arse.